Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy Birthday to the Should We Eat Meat Thread

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Happy Birthday to the "Should We Eat Meat" Thread

It turned one on the 27th and we still haven't resolved the issue yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2
    Cheers! I'm breaking out the BBQ. Burgers anyone?

4. Nov 29, 2004 #3
    how bout veggie burgers? :tongue2: :smile:

although this is a pointless thread and probably could've been posted in the should we eat meat thread.

5. Nov 29, 2004 #4
    I'll have two. One for my hunger and another just for the vegetarians :tongue2:

6. Nov 29, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'll take one!!!!

That is one of the threads that will never die, like "ask a stupid quetion", "girl trouble" and "cutest guy/gal".

7. Nov 29, 2004 #6
    I stoped eating meat and all animal based foods 9 years ago. Never been happier in my life :smile: Go for it people!

8. Nov 29, 2004 #7

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Don't be silly!!! :tongue2: Of course the issue was resolved. The inescapable conclusion was that meat-eating makes one a pterodactyl, and therefore destined for extinction, which is why vegetarians will inherit the Earth.

9. Nov 29, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, but if there's just two living organisms left on Earth, me and a vegetarian, I can eat the vegetarian. :rofl:

:uhh: Not that it will get me very far. :rolleyes:

10. Nov 29, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

Would be really scrawny and not at all meaty. Like a rabbit.

Long live bacon!

11. Nov 29, 2004 #10
    If we don't eat meat, cows and chickens will go extinct.

12. Nov 29, 2004 #11

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Well, if the veggie burgers inherit the Earth, then we'll love most all animals, including cows, so we'll be having lots of milk to make cheese out of, and then pizza! If you convert now, I'll give you some.

13. Nov 29, 2004 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, pizza! Can I have pepperoni on mine? :uhh: Oh, shucks, that's made out of meat, isn't it? Sorry, I like meat too much to ever give it up.

Gonzolo's comment about the cows and chickens going extinct isn't necessarily all that far off the mark. There are already breeds of domestic animals that have gone extinct or nearly extinct, because when they stopped being the most profitable breed, nobody was interested in paying to store germ cells or to continue raising and breeding them to preserve the breed.

14. Nov 29, 2004 #13

Evo

Unless your vegan, milk, cheese and eggs will still be popular.

I could be vegetarian but I could not be vegan. My younger daughter had a vegan friend so she decided to go vegan for a couple of weeks to see what it was like, of course that meant I had to be vegan for the same time period so she wouldn't be tempted. :grumpy: She caved in after 3 days. It was the soy milk that did it. I have never gotten it all off of the ceiling from when she spit it out in horror from her first taste. She actually thought it was going to taste like milk and not a combination of weeds and yeast. :rofl:

15. Nov 29, 2004 #14
    According to my security intelligence... the point of this thread is to start discuessing eating meat here, and thus we will make "shoudl we eat meat" thread die in peace after a long run. The declared intention for this thread to say happy birthday is just a tactic for the evil cuase [and i am extreme ;)]

My security intelligence guys/girls could be wrong....

16. Nov 29, 2004 #15

Evo

You could be right Moses. :biggrin:

17. Nov 29, 2004 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Happy Birthday "Should We Eat Meat"! I baked you a vegan carrot cake. Sorry if it doesn't taste all that good. I couldn't use eggs and milk, y'know.

18. Nov 29, 2004 #17
    I was vegetarian for a decent period of time (nearly 10 years). One day I stopped that nonsense and haven't looked back since :D

19. Nov 30, 2004 #18
    Hmmm... maybe I should've picked pigs then... I like soy milk, but I've only tried the chocolate flavored. It kinda tastes like what hay smells, I don't mind that at all. I buy it regularly. I actually buy and eat a few veggie products (burgers esp.), but not to replace meat, just for variety. Actually, I think the world would be better off if no one ate meat. Land could be used to make food for people instead of cows. But steak, burgers, chicken and ribs just taste too good.

20. Nov 30, 2004 #19

russ_watters

I dunno about that - the chicken stir fry I had for dinner last night resolved it pretty well for me. :biggrin:

Incidentally, did anyone catch that wife-swap show on Fox last night? It had an activist vegan California woman and a stereotypical aligator-herding Louisianan swap families. Needless to say, there was some friction on the issue. The vegan woman far exceeded just about every negative hippie stereotype.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  21. Nov 30, 2004 #20
    Well, we know what the prospect of meat did to the frenzied Bacchantes :devil:

Thereat we fled, to escape being torn in pieces by the Bacchantes; but they, with hands that bore no weapon of steel, attacked our cattle as they browsed. Then wouldst thou have seen Agave mastering some sleek lowing calf, while others rent the heifers limb from limb. Before thy eyes there would have been hurling of ribs and hoofs this way and that; and strips of flesh, all blood-bedabbled, dripped as they hung from the pine-branches. Wild bulls, that glared but now with rage along their horns, found themselves tripped up, dragged down to earth by countless maidens' hands. The flesh upon their limbs was stripped therefrom quicker than thou couldst have closed thy royal eye-lids.

Libations!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?