What is Canadian Raising and How Does it Affect How Canadians Speak?

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary: Yeah, I'm not sure either. In summary, the author went to a Canada Day celebration and saw people dancing around a chocolate elk, playing hockey, getting drunk, and remining themselves to be good neighbors. There was also a fireworks display.
you know what I don't get about Canada? their flag. mexico has a bird perched on a cactus eating a snake. some of our state flags have bears and 'dangerous' animals. yet Canada decided to show that they're the strongest byt putting a leaf smack-dab in the middle

Physics news on Phys.org
It's to show our good taste (oooh har har har! hysterical!)

yomamma said:
canada day, eh? couldn't think of a better name?

Used to be called Dominion Day if I am not mistaken.

The country's official name is still "The Dominion of Canada".

ek said:
Used to be called Dominion Day if I am not mistaken.
Untill 1982
The country's official name is still "The Dominion of Canada".
Canada was unofficially called 'Canada' until 1867 when the English officially named it 'The Dominion of Canada' and then we changed back to 'Canada' in 1982 in the same act we changed 'Dominion Day' in.

Smurf said:
Canada was unofficially called 'Canada' until 1867 when the English officially named it 'The Dominion of Canada' and then we changed back to 'Canada' in 1982 in the same act we changed 'Dominion Day' in.

Link please?

I don't think that's accurate.

But I may be wrong. Maybe.

Well, You can look at the http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/const/annex_e.html#VI yourself I guess. All official useage of the term 'dominion' ended in 1982.

According to wikipedia it's contested wether or not the name was officially changed or not though. *shrug*

My older daughter will be going up around Vancouver later this year to visit her gaming partner. She thinks he talks funny. Last night I was playing with the two of them and she kept asking him to say "out and about". She never knew Canadians had such a strange accent. :tongue2:

Anyone around Vancouver?

Evo said:
She never knew Canadians had such a strange accent.
Wait 'til she meets a drunk Newfie. :eek:

Evo said:
My older daughter will be going up around Vancouver later this year to visit her gaming partner. She thinks he talks funny. Last night I was playing with the two of them and she kept asking him to say "out and about". She never knew Canadians had such a strange accent. :tongue2:

Anyone around Vancouver?

Your daughter. In Vancouver. So close. Yet so far. :bugeye: :tongue2: o:)

As for the accent, I've never understood the whole "aboot" thing. If anything I tend to say "a-BOAT".

ek said:
Your daughter. In Vancouver. So close. Yet so far. :bugeye: :tongue2: o:)

As for the accent, I've never understood the whole "aboot" thing. If anything I tend to say "a-BOAT".
Actually, he did sound like he was saying a-boat. :tongue:

ek said:
Happy 138th birthday Canada!

As for what people do, I don't really know. Definitely not as much as people in the states do for the 4th. Here most of the young people go down to the Inner Harbour where the fireworks are and drink and drink and drink.

well i went down to the inner harbour & saw only the end of the fireworks because i had just gotten off work. then i met up with some friends, we jumped into a strange guy's pickup & raced down govt st until we wondered when he was going to stop. we got him to stop then went to the closest club until it clodes @ 3am. then me & a buddy walked around downtown a bit more & bumped into a guy i work with who has a place near downtown & did some hemp. i think i got home at ~5am & had to work at 7:30. every other Canada day since i turned 19 has been spent at work. since i wasn't working late i thought i'd live it up.

yomamma said:
yet Canada decided to show that they're the strongest byt putting a leaf smack-dab in the middle
yeah i don't get that either. the birch tree has always been far more important than the maple. what else could have made the canoes that the settlers used? Canada is the way it is because of the fur trade, & it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for birch-bark canoes.

re: aboot/aboat it's called "canadian raising" aka how to speak Canadian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising