What is Canada Day and why do we celebrate it?

• Thread starter ek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary: Well, I can't remember where we'd get the Boblo ferry from, but it would only cost a few dollars. Ruthven was pretty close to Walkerville. I think it was about an hour's drive from my house. Remember the (now non-existent) Holiday on Riverside near downtown Windsor? I lived 200 metres from there. I almost meant literally "on my doorstep". I had friends from Kingsville/Leamington.o, Canadaour home and native landsomething or anotherThe star spangled banner is betterIn summary, on July 1, 2006, Canada celebrated its 139th birthday. The first European settlers in Canada came from France, England, and Scotland. The United Empire Loyalists were
ek
July 1, 2006, the 139th birthday of the Dominion of Canada.

On this day in 1867, the Fathers of Confederation created what was destined to become the greatest nation in the world.

Happy Birthday Canada!

Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting little quiz ripped from RFD, I managed to get 10/12 (without cheating of course, that would ruin the fun!).

1) Where did the first European settlers in Canada come from?
2) Who were the United Empire Loyalists?
3) When did the British North America Act come into effect?
4) Which four provinces first formed Confederation?
5) What part of the Constitution legally protects the basic rights and freedoms of all Canadians?
6) Which province is the only officially bilingual province?
7) What are the three main groups of aboriginal peoples?
8) What is the tower in the centre of the Parliament Buildings called?
9) What is the population of Canada?
10) Where does the name "Canada" come from?
11) Who is Canada's head of state?
12) Why is the Constitution Act 1982 important in Canadian history?

Oh Can nada, doo doo doo doo doo doo
Oh Can nada, doo doo doo doo doo doo...

Sorry, that's all I remember. :biggrin:

Happy Canada Day, eh.

o, Canada
our home and native land
something or another
The star spangled banner is better

I'll have a go at the quiz. I reckon I got 4-5 right. I had to guess at most of them. Quite pathetically, sometimes.

1. France
2. English Loyalists
3. 1803
4. Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Quebec
5. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms
6. New Brunswick
7. Arawaks, Iroquois, Cherokee
8. Parliament Towers
9. 32 million or so
10. Some indiginous word
11. Steven (Stephen?) Harper
12. Completely eliminated British influence in Canadian politics.
:biggrin:

Smurf said:
4. Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Quebec

The NF join after WWII. the right answer is
Nova-scotia, New-Brunswick, Ontario and Quebec

Smurf said:
10. Some indiginous word

You don't watch enough TV. Those Part of Heritage bites tell you about it.
the real word is Kanata which the french misunderstand for Canada and it means Village and not nation

Smurf said:
11. Steven (Stephen?) Harper

Wrong again it's Queen Elizabeth II.

Smurf said:
12. Completely eliminated British influence in Canadian politics.

Its when the Constitution was brought back to Canada but Quebec did not sign the act and that lead to charletown and lach Meech accord

Last edited:
Oh happy day to our neighbor and friends in Canada!

1) Where did the first European settlers in Canada come from?
iceland

2) Who were the United Empire Loyalists?
emigrated to Canada (nova scotia?) during american revolutionary war (?)

3) When did the British North America Act come into effect?

4) Which four provinces first formed Confederation?
nova scotia, new brunswick, upper Canada (aka ontario), lower Canada (aka quebec) & then in order, british columbia, manitoba, prince edward island, Alberta & saskatchewan, newfoundland (later newfoundland & labrador)

5) What part of the Constitution legally protects the basic rights and freedoms of all Canadians?
charter of rights & freedoms

6) Which province is the only officially bilingual province?
new brunswick

7) What are the three main groups of aboriginal peoples?
dene, inuit,... not sure about this one

8) What is the tower in the centre of the Parliament Buildings called?
peace tower (containing the country's 2nd-largest carillon)

9) What is the population of Canada?
~32000000

10) Where does the name "Canada" come from?
canada in spanish is a creek on whose shore sugar cane grows... or it's a native word meaning village

11) Who is Canada's head of state?
QEII, represented by michaelle jean

12) Why is the Constitution Act 1982 important in Canadian history?
made Canada effectively free from british political influence

Last edited:
Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian members.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10904887.jpg

Zz.

So, Hypatia... is the Freedom Festival still an event down there? It's pretty much the only thing that I miss from living there. (Had I known you in those days, however, I would never have left. :biggrin: )

Danger said:
So, Hypatia... is the Freedom Festival still an event down there? It's pretty much the only thing that I miss from living there.

The Freedom Festival used to be pretty much right at my doorstep.

Canada day AGAIN? Doesn't seem like a week since this happened last time.

George Jones said:
The Freedom Festival used to be pretty much right at my doorstep.
Do tell? So you were in Windsor, Amhurstburg, LaSalle, or Walkerville, right? I was a couple of miles north of Ruthven, 5 miles out of Leamington.

Danger said:
Do tell? So you were in Windsor, Amhurstburg, LaSalle, or Walkerville, right? I was a couple of miles north of Ruthven, 5 miles out of Leamington.

Remember the (now non-existent) Holiday on Riverside near downtown Windsor? I lived 200 metres from there. I almost meant literally "on my doorstep". I had friends from Kingsville/Leamington.

yomamma said:
o, Canada
our home and native land
something or another
The star spangled banner is better
You are young and don't know any better. Cyrus is still right.

REVISION: Cyrus corrected my mistake.

Last edited:
My godparents used to live in Amherstburg. If I remember correctly, we could get the Boblo ferry from there.

:rofl: No no no, pengwunio is the bird brain, yomamma is a kid, so we'll have to let him slide (for now).

George Jones said:
Remember the (now non-existent) Holiday on Riverside near downtown Windsor? I lived 200 metres from there. I almost meant literally "on my doorstep". I had friends from Kingsville/Leamington.
Wholly moley. My grandparents weren't too far from you. We drove down Riverside to get to their place. It is a small world.

cyrusabdollahi said:
:rofl: No no no, pengwunio is the bird brain, yomamma is a kid, so we'll have to let him slide (for now).
Whoops. I had to go back and edit my post. Sorry kid. Go to Chuck E. Cheese's on me or something...

Happy Birthday Eh!

Danger said:
So, Hypatia... is the Freedom Festival still an event down there? It's pretty much the only thing that I miss from living there. (Had I known you in those days, however, I would never have left. :biggrin: )

Yea I went this year to the fireworks on the river. I went across to Windsor to watch them. A lot of people, good food and beer!:biggrin:

Happy Belated Canada Day! Hope you all had a good one.

FredGarvin said:
My godparents used to live in Amherstburg. If I remember correctly, we could get the Boblo ferry from there.

I used to go with friend to a restaurant in Amherstburg. Never caught the Boblo boat, though. I did take the ferry (from Leamington) a couple of times to Pelee Island.

Wholly moley. My grandparents weren't too far from you. We drove down Riverside to get to their place. It is a small world.

Yes, it is! I think I read a while ago that you grew up in Michigan and are now back in Michigan. For 4 months of each of 2003, 2004, and 2005, my wife worked at the GM Tech Center in Warren, and we lived in Utica, Madison Heights, and Rochester.

What is Canada Day?

Canada Day is a federal holiday in Canada that celebrates the anniversary of the enactment of the Constitution Act in 1867. This act united the three colonies of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and the Province of Canada (which later became Ontario and Quebec) into a single country called Canada.

Why is Canada Day celebrated on July 1st?

July 1st, 1867 was the date that the Constitution Act was officially enacted, making it the birthday of Canada as a country. However, it was not always known as Canada Day. It was originally called Dominion Day and was officially renamed Canada Day in 1982.

What are some traditions and activities associated with Canada Day?

Canada Day is typically celebrated with fireworks, parades, concerts, and other public events. Many people also enjoy outdoor activities such as barbecues, picnics, and sporting events. It is also common for people to wear red and white, the colors of the Canadian flag, and display Canadian flags and other patriotic decorations.

Is Canada Day celebrated in all parts of Canada?

Yes, Canada Day is a national holiday and is celebrated in all provinces and territories across Canada. However, some regions may have additional local or cultural celebrations in addition to the national festivities.

What is the significance of Canada Day for Canadians?

Canada Day is a day to celebrate Canadian history, culture, and diversity. It is also a time for Canadians to come together and show their pride and patriotism for their country. It is an important day to reflect on the past and look towards the future as a nation.