What does Deepavali celebrate and who is it wished for?

• Thread starter mishrashubham
  • Start date
In summary, Diwali is a festival that celebrates the victory of light over darkness, wisdom over ignorance, and courage over cowardice. It is symbolic and also refers to mankind's harnessing of fire. Darkness is disappearing on Earth and in some regions, like Alaska, the sun may disappear for a few hours during winter months. During summer, there are well lit nights but shade is still present. Some people dread Diwali because of the noise from crackers.
mishrashubham
Happy Diwali People!

6283553324_0871922e0e.jpg

A festival that celebrates the victory of light over darkness, wisdom over ignorance and courage over cowardice... I Wish everybody a Happy Deepavali !

Physics news on Phys.org

see, why don't we have any rational holidays in the US, we stole all our holidays from Catholics who stole it from Pagans.

mish, is "light over darkness" symbolism or do you speak actually of mankind harnessing fire? Darkness is a disappearing resource on Earth nowadays.

Pythagorean said:
mish, is "light over darkness" symbolism or do you speak actually of mankind harnessing fire?

Symbolic...

Pythagorean said:
Darkness is a disappearing resource on Earth nowadays.

Must be dark there in Alaska... In which month does the sun shy away completely there?

ah yes, I should have clicked the link before I posted.

The sun never shies away completely in my region, at least, not in the sense that it's not somehow "above" us, but only for a couple hours in the winter months (like four, I'd venture). It's 9:00am right now and getting light, so it's not that bad yet; I'd give it another month or two.

But I suppose cloud cover and the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)" will keep you from ever actually seeing the sun most of that time.

During the summer we do actually have quite well lit nights, but shade is still very potent; it's more comparable to having a long dusk that transitions straight to dawn, probably... the sun actually sets, but you still see it's glow behind the horizon and it never wanders that far before coming back up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deepavali ki Shubhkamnayein :smile:

micromass said:
Deepavali ki Shubhkamnayein :smile:

Dhanyavad :biggrin:

I particularly dread this day because of all the crackers. Just give me all the sweets and leave me in a quiet, peaceful environment.

Happy Diwali!

1. What is Diwali and why is it celebrated?

Diwali, also known as the "Festival of Lights", is an important Hindu festival that celebrates the triumph of good over evil and light over darkness. It is a five-day long festival that marks the return of Lord Rama, an important deity in Hinduism, from his 14-year exile and his victory over the demon king Ravana. Diwali is also celebrated by Sikhs and Jains for different reasons, but the main theme of the festival remains the same.

2. How is Diwali celebrated?

Diwali is celebrated with great enthusiasm and joy by lighting diyas (clay lamps) and candles, decorating homes and temples with colorful lights, creating beautiful rangolis (decorative patterns), exchanging gifts and sweets, and setting off fireworks. Families also gather together for puja (prayer) and feasting on delicious traditional dishes.

3. What is the significance of lighting diyas during Diwali?

Lighting diyas during Diwali has a symbolic meaning. It represents the triumph of good over evil, knowledge over ignorance, and hope over despair. It is also believed that the light of diyas guides the goddess Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and prosperity, into people's homes to bless them with abundance and success.

4. What are the cultural and religious beliefs associated with Diwali?

Diwali holds a special place in the hearts of Hindus, Sikhs, and Jains as it signifies different things for each religion. For Hindus, it marks the return of Lord Rama and the start of a new year. For Sikhs, it commemorates the release of their sixth guru, Guru Hargobind, from imprisonment and the foundation of the Golden Temple. For Jains, it celebrates the spiritual awakening of Lord Mahavira.

5. How can we celebrate a safe and environmentally-friendly Diwali?

While Diwali is a festival of lights and joy, it is important to celebrate it in a safe and responsible manner. This includes using eco-friendly decorations and avoiding firecrackers that can cause harm to the environment and noise pollution. It is also important to practice fire safety measures while lighting diyas and candles. Additionally, we can also spread happiness and joy by sharing our blessings with those in need and being mindful of our actions during this festive season.