Happy Friday the 13th: End Triskaidekaphobia Today!

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
In summary: There are 20871 weeks in 400 Gregorian years. The day of the week for Jan 1 2000 will match the day of the week for Jan 1 2400.
DrClaude
Mentor
Anybody else tired of triskaidekaphobia?

I once chose an airplane seat in row 14 just because I find it ridiculous. Don't people realize that whatever you call it, it's still the 13th row?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm hiding under the bed (I know the bed can fall on me!). Is it safe, yet?

nuuskur said:
Is it safe, yet?
That depends on your time zone :wink:

Reminds me of one of the first exercises in my calculus book (1.5.).

Show that in the Gregorian Calendar (... explanation of leap years ...) the 13th of a month in the long term average is more frequently a Friday than any other day. (Hint: Gauß was born on a Wednesday.)

I wonder whether Pope Gregor XIII. (sic!) knew this. The Friday anomaly, not Gauß' birthday of course.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Show that in the Gregorian Calendar (... explanation of leap years ...) the 13th of a month in the long term average is more frequently a Friday than any other day. (Hint: Gauß was born on a Wednesday.)
Really? I'd like to see the proof of that.

DrClaude said:
In a four year cycle you have 365*4 + 1 = 1461 days.
In a one hundred year cycle you have 25 * 1461 - 1 = 36524 days.
In a four hundred year cycle you have 4 * 36524 + 1 = 146097 days.

146097 is a multiple of 7 -- there are a exactly 20871 weeks in 400 Gregorian years. The day of the week for Jan 1 2000 will match the day of the week for Jan 1 2400.

It follows that if one [laboriously] tots up the number of Monday the 13ths, Tuesday the 13ths, etc for any given 400 year span, the frequency over that 400 year span will match the long term average.

Edit: One likely could accelerate the crank and grind labor by starting at March 1 2000 and noting that there are only 14 year types (all identical except for the weekday of March 1 and whether Feb 29 exists and that they repeat in a standard cycle every 28 years [almost - look out for century years]. So if you can look at a calendar and tot up the 13'ths for one year, you are already halfway there.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest
DrClaude said:
It's at the end of the first chapter about induction, therefore the base of Gauß' birthday. However, they mention that it's less an exercise of induction rather than correct counting.

Since I failed Laborious 101 and wanted to see the "magnitude", wrote simple C program using @jbriggs444 parameters as specified:
Code:
$ ./sumdow
Count of calendar days for 13th
Sun  Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat
687  685  685  687  684  688  684

Likes Ibix, Filip Larsen, DrClaude and 3 others

1. What is "Happy Friday the 13th: End Triskaidekaphobia Today!"?

"Happy Friday the 13th: End Triskaidekaphobia Today!" is a campaign aimed at ending the fear and superstition surrounding the number 13 and the date Friday the 13th. It seeks to promote the idea that these are simply arbitrary numbers and dates with no inherent power or significance.

2. What is triskaidekaphobia?

Triskaidekaphobia is the fear or superstition surrounding the number 13. It can manifest in different ways, such as avoiding the number 13 or Friday the 13th, or believing that bad luck is associated with these things.

3. Why is Friday the 13th considered unlucky?

The origin of the belief that Friday the 13th is unlucky is unclear, but it may stem from various historical and cultural associations with the number 13 and the day Friday. Some theories suggest that it is linked to the biblical story of the Last Supper, where there were 13 people present on the day before Jesus' crucifixion, which occurred on a Friday.

4. How can we end triskaidekaphobia?

We can end triskaidekaphobia by promoting critical thinking and educating people about the irrationality of superstitions. By understanding that there is no evidence or logical reason to fear the number 13 or Friday the 13th, we can overcome this fear and break the cycle of superstition.

5. What are some ways to celebrate "Happy Friday the 13th: End Triskaidekaphobia Today!"?

You can celebrate by spreading awareness about the campaign and its message, organizing events or discussions about the topic, and encouraging others to challenge their beliefs and fears surrounding the number 13 and Friday the 13th. You can also use the hashtag #EndTriskaidekaphobia on social media to join the conversation and show your support.