Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy Hanukkah!

1. Dec 26, 2005 #1
    To those who celebrate Hanukkah (and also to those who don't),
    Happy Hanukkah!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2005 #2
    Wishing everyone a happy and peaceful Hanukkah!
  4. Dec 26, 2005 #3

5. Dec 26, 2005 #4

I like to say happy Chuanakah. Chau-nuh-ka!!!
  6. Dec 26, 2005 #5

Staff: Mentor

I was born Catholic, but my Godfather was Jewish. My aunt married a Jewish man, so one Aunt and two cousins are jewish. My best friend when I lived in Chicago was Jewish. My neighbors in New York, Pennsylvania and Chicago were all jewish. I miss them. :frown: My first father-in-law remarried the mother of his jewish daughter-in-law, (my sister-in-law), so I had a Jewish mother-in-law :biggrin: She made the best food in the world!!!!! :!!)

The calendar for Chanukkah this year - Chanukkah will occur on the following days of the Gregorian calendar:

Jewish Year 5766 : sunset December 25, 2005 - nightfall January 2, 2006
    (first candle: night of 12/25; last candle: night of 1/1)

YUMMM! I'm making these for the girls tonight!!!!

Recipe for Latkes
    Makes approximately 12 palm-sized latkes

4 medium potatoes
    1 medium onion
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup matzah meal (flour or bread crumbs can be substituted)
    salt and black pepper to taste
    vegetable oil

Shred the potatoes and onion into a large bowl. Press out all excess liquid.(if using a food processor, use the chopping blade for 2 or 3 seconds after pressing out liquid to avoid stringy fly-aways). Add eggs and mix well. Add matzah meal gradually while mixing until the batter is doughy, not too dry. (you may not need the whole amount, depending on how well you drained the veggies). Add a few dashes of salt and black pepper. (don't taste the batter -- it's really gross!). Don't worry if the batter turns a little orange; that will go away when it fries.

Heat about 1/2 inch of oil to medium-high heat. Form the batter into thin patties about the size of your palm. Fry batter in oil. Be patient: this takes time, and too much flipping will burn the outside without cooking the inside. Flip when the bottom is golden brown.

Place finished latkes on paper towels to drain. Eat hot with sour cream or applesauce. They reheat OK in a microwave, but not in an oven unless you cook them just right.

If you'd like to try something a little different, add some bell peppers, parsley, carrots, celery, or other vegetables to the batter to make veggie latkes! You may need to add a third egg and some more matzah meal for this. For a zesty twist, add some diced jalepeño peppers to the batter! This should definitely be served with sour cream!

7. Dec 26, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

Happy Chanukah, Jelfish, and others.

Shalom Aleichum (שלום עליכם)
  8. Dec 26, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Happy Hannukah!
    My brother-in-law, who cooked Christmas dinner, is Jewish. We had dinner early, so the sun had just set as we were having dessert, so I tried convincing him we then needed a Hannukah dinner too o:) (I was pretty sure the bacon-wrapped scallops we had as appetizers, and the shrimp we had with dinner didn't quite count as a Hannukah dinner :biggrin:). All we got were evil glares. :rolleyes: We couldn't even get my nephew dragged away from his Play-Doh (gift from me) long enough to light the first candle. Then again, if my brother-in-law was very serious about his religion, he probably wouldn't have married my sister.
  9. Dec 27, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Happy Hannukah from Texas, Jelfish!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?