Ready to Celebrate Independence Day?

In summary, the conversation consisted of individuals wishing each other a happy Fourth of July, discussing plans for the holiday, and sharing personal experiences or news related to Independence Day. There was also mention of a study on fireworks-related incidents and a photo of a fireworks show in Washington D.C. Overall, the conversation was filled with a sense of camaraderie and celebration for the holiday.
KalamMekhar
Thanks to all those who have served and are serving. Thank you for protecting our freedoms and our rights to live as human beings.

Let us all sit back, have a beer, and blow **** up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Happy 4th!

Happy Fourth my USian friends and acquaintances!

I used to get excited about fireworks, but now I think it's reserved for boneheads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SdHnp2aVgzE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SdHnp2aVgzE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Last edited by a moderator:
happy birthday to u s a

happy birthday to u

Have a great 4th of July, all of you! :smile:

Compared to the Canada day thread, the US is sorely lacking.

That's because everyone is out barbecuing and fireworking and whatnotting. :biggrin:

On Saturday, a man lighting fireworks outside his Long Island home became the latest victim when he completely severed his left arm from his shoulder, Suffolk County police said.

A new study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission found that nearly 9,000 people were taken to the emergency room and two people died in 2009 from fireworks-related incidents.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/04/new.york.fireworks.arm.loss/index.html?hpt=T2

I've seen firecrackers go off in people's hands, but geez.

Of course if you hadn't been such a difficult bunch to get along with - you could have had thursday off instead, skipped friday with the hangover and had a 4day weekend.

Plus you get a nice little old lady to come and visit - the only world leader who you know is carrying toffees in her handbag and would give you one.

mgb_phys said:
Of course if you hadn't been such a difficult bunch to get along with - you could have had thursday off instead, skipped friday with the hangover and had a 4day weekend.

Plus you get a nice little old lady to come and visit - the only world leader who you know is carrying toffees in her handbag and would give you one.

Said nice little old lady even came with a hat to match the occasion. See what y'all are missing out on?

GeorginaS said:
Said nice little old lady even came with a hat to match the occasion. See what y'all are missing out on?
You know how it is - you happen to be trying on that hat when they do the photo for the money and stamps and then you're typecast.

Last edited:
Today has been a typical Seattle July 4th: it didn't get above 65F and the sun was AWOL.

I can't tell you how many fireworks shows I've been to over the years where I'd watch the thing shoot up, disappear into the low clouds...where it blows up, briefly illuminating the cloud. Ooooo...aaaaaa.

It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, though.

Will postings of JDAMs and Korengal Valley footage set to music be allowed before midnight?

I'm playing Beethoven's 7th for some reason, sitting here on my couch typing away.

Good to hear that the kids in the neighborhood are blowing things up.

At least someone has sense enough to celebrate.

hmmm...

Time to sit on the front porch for an hour or two.

:smile:

night all.

gba

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs182.snc4/37450_931136452978_5736845_50596980_8355461_n.jpg

I took this down in DC today. A plane was landing at Regan during the display. I'm sure the pilots and passengers got one good show! (The flight path swings right by the fireworks)

Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
I'm playing Beethoven's 7th for some reason, sitting here on my couch typing away.

night all.

gba

Happy Independence Day, U.S.A (belatedly) !

Last edited:

1. What is the history behind Independence Day?

Independence Day, also known as the Fourth of July, commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. This document declared the United States' independence from Great Britain and marked the beginning of the country's independence movement.

2. How is Independence Day celebrated?

Independence Day is typically celebrated with parades, barbecues, picnics, and other outdoor activities. Many cities also hold fireworks displays to commemorate the holiday.

3. Why are fireworks commonly used in Independence Day celebrations?

Fireworks have been a part of Independence Day celebrations since the first anniversary of the holiday in 1777. They were used to symbolize the "rockets' red glare" mentioned in the national anthem and to create a sense of patriotism and celebration.

4. What are some traditional foods eaten on Independence Day?

Some traditional foods associated with Independence Day include hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled corn on the cob, and apple pie. These foods are often served at picnics and barbecues to celebrate the holiday.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind during Independence Day celebrations?

Yes, it is important to practice safety precautions during Independence Day celebrations, especially when handling fireworks. Make sure to follow the instructions on fireworks carefully and never point them at another person. It's also important to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen if participating in outdoor activities in the hot summer weather.