Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy Marriage? Easy!

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Read this article, and don't shoot the messenger!

From here:
    http://worldmysteries9.blogspot.com/2009/10/secret-of-happy-marriage.html [Broken]

Original paper here:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=6d73b924249c9960714a17289ccdce92

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2
    I heard the ideal marriage was between a blind woman and a deaf man. Let's see, I have a masters while my wife has a bachelors, one point against. I am ten years older than her, two points against. I'm an American of Eastern European descent while she is Chinese, unclear. Neither of us has ever been married before, one point in favor. That's 2 against 1, We've been married 20 years.

I note that the study was done on a mixture of cohabiting and married couples. With no study to back me up, I still feel safe in saying that these two populations have different separation footprints. My reasoning is that unmarried couples experience all of the centrifugal forces that married couples do, but lack one crucial centripetal force. I wonder why they grouped them together.

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Those examples are anecdotal. My wife was married once before - briefly. She was looking for stability. She's 6.5 years older than me and we've been together nearly 30 years, and married 27+ years.

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4
    The study doesn't say why the divorce rate increased in the last 50 years.

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're ten years older than her, that's a point for isn't it?

7. Oct 28, 2009 #6
    Perhaps I took the words too literally. I thought 5 years was best, but they might have meant 5 or more.

8. Oct 28, 2009 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's pretty clear cut

9. Oct 28, 2009 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

They could have easily searched the census for information, but they would find the results would change drastically from generation to generation. Truth is, there is no "formula". Marriage is based on beliefs (some religions don't allow divorce), money, kids, social values & stigmas, personal preferences, dependency issues, self esteem (or lack of), etc...

In other words, it's a totally useless study, IMO.

10. Oct 28, 2009 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first line of the abstract, emphasis mine:

This can't be true, that a true cause-and-effect been proven. When it comes to predicting human behavior (such as couples' tendency to stay together), the best you could do is show a correlation.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  11. Oct 28, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's hilarious that they even thought it worth reporting that couples who have not been previously divorced are more successful in marriage. :rolleyes: Yeah, usually divorce is a good indicator that someone has had problems with marriage. :rofl:

From the abstract of the original article:
    Um, okay, now I know why they were doing a study on allocating spouses...with this sort of view of marriage, the authors probably have no idea how to find and keep spouses otherwise.

Edit: Though, maybe we now have the "definitive" reference to send people to when they post those girl trouble threads. :biggrin:

12. Oct 29, 2009 #11
    Nice catch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook