1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Happy monoid or semigroup?

1. Jan 24, 2017 #1
    I haven't slept in awhile and I might have just come up with a totally useless or vacuous concept. It could possibly be a cool example of something. For some reason, I really like happy numbers.

A happy number is a number such that when you separate the digits, square each, and add them back together, you get the number 1 in a finite number of steps. i.e.

13 --> 1^2 + 3^2 = 1 + 9 = 10
    10 --> 1^2 + 0+2 = 1

It follows then that if you concatenate two happy numbers you'd get another happy number. So this set is closed under concatenation. Let ## * ## be concatenation.Example:

13*10 = 1310 (which is clearly happy).

It's associative, and commutative. I suppose since I am using concatenation that the identity element is just the empty word. But the empty word isn't a number. It's certainly not a group since there is no inverse.

Without the identity it's at least a commutative semigroup. Kind of interesting. Or maybe not.

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I don't get why ##13\circ 10 =1310## is happy. Shouldn't it be ##1^2+3^2+1^2+0^2=11 \rightarrow 1^2+1^2=2##? I wouldn't see a problem with the unity, as you could simply define ##\{\}## to be happy and ##a \circ \{\}=a\,.## It's no group because left-concatenation is no bijection (I guess).

Edit: If you meant to continue: ##2 \rightarrow 2^2=4 \rightarrow 16 \rightarrow 37 \rightarrow 58 \rightarrow 89 \rightarrow 145 \rightarrow 42 \rightarrow 20 \rightarrow 4## which is a cycle without a ##1## in between.

4. Jan 24, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

I don't see an obvious closed operation between happy numbers, concatenation is not one.

13, 23 and 1323 are all happy: there are examples where it works, but in general it does not.

5. Jan 24, 2017 #4
    D'oh! Told you I didn't sleep. I had this funny feeling I would regret this post.

Yeah, there might be something that works. But I should try again tomorrow.

I'm going to hide under a rock now.

6. Jan 24, 2017 #5

fresh_42

Don't be square. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted