Is there a happy semigroup of concatenated numbers?

• I
  • Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of happy numbers, which are numbers that, when their digits are squared and added together, eventually result in the number 1. The conversation also explores the idea of concatenating happy numbers, and whether this results in another happy number. It is determined that while there are some examples where concatenation works, it is not a consistent operation for all happy numbers.
dkotschessaa
I haven't slept in awhile and I might have just come up with a totally useless or vacuous concept. It could possibly be a cool example of something. For some reason, I really like happy numbers.

A happy number is a number such that when you separate the digits, square each, and add them back together, you get the number 1 in a finite number of steps. i.e.

13 --> 1^2 + 3^2 = 1 + 9 = 10
10 --> 1^2 + 0+2 = 1

It follows then that if you concatenate two happy numbers you'd get another happy number. So this set is closed under concatenation. Let ## * ## be concatenation.Example:

13*10 = 1310 (which is clearly happy).

It's associative, and commutative. I suppose since I am using concatenation that the identity element is just the empty word. But the empty word isn't a number. It's certainly not a group since there is no inverse.

Without the identity it's at least a commutative semigroup. Kind of interesting. Or maybe not.

-Dave K

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't get why ##13\circ 10 =1310## is happy. Shouldn't it be ##1^2+3^2+1^2+0^2=11 \rightarrow 1^2+1^2=2##? I wouldn't see a problem with the unity, as you could simply define ##\{\}## to be happy and ##a \circ \{\}=a\,.## It's no group because left-concatenation is no bijection (I guess).

Edit: If you meant to continue: ##2 \rightarrow 2^2=4 \rightarrow 16 \rightarrow 37 \rightarrow 58 \rightarrow 89 \rightarrow 145 \rightarrow 42 \rightarrow 20 \rightarrow 4## which is a cycle without a ##1## in between.

I don't see an obvious closed operation between happy numbers, concatenation is not one.

13, 23 and 1323 are all happy: there are examples where it works, but in general it does not.

fresh_42 said:
I don't get why ##13\circ 10 =1310## is happy. Shouldn't it be ##1^2+3^2+1^2+0^2=11 \rightarrow 1^2+1^2=2##? I wouldn't see a problem with the unity, as you could simply define ##\{\}## to be happy and ##a \circ \{\}=a\,.## It's no group because left-concatenation is no bijection (I guess).

D'oh! Told you I didn't sleep. I had this funny feeling I would regret this post.
Edit: If you meant to continue: ##2 \rightarrow 2^2=4 \rightarrow 16 \rightarrow 37 \rightarrow 58 \rightarrow 89 \rightarrow 145 \rightarrow 42 \rightarrow 20 \rightarrow 4## which is a cycle without a ##1## in between.

Yeah, there might be something that works. But I should try again tomorrow.

I'm going to hide under a rock now.

dkotschessaa said:
I'm going to hide under a rock now.
Don't be square. :cool:

Likes dkotschessaa

1. What is a monoid or semigroup?

A monoid is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, an associative binary operation, and an identity element. A semigroup is a similar structure without the requirement of an identity element. Both structures are used to model mathematical operations in abstract algebra.

2. How is a monoid or semigroup different from a group?

A monoid or semigroup differs from a group in that it may not have an inverse element for every element in the set. In other words, not every element has an element that cancels it out under the binary operation. A group, on the other hand, must have an inverse element for every element in the set.

3. What are some real-world applications of monoids or semigroups?

Monoids and semigroups have many applications in computer science, including in programming languages, database design, and cryptography. They are also used in physics, chemistry, and other fields of science to model and analyze various systems and processes.

4. How are monoids and semigroups related to the concept of closure?

Both monoids and semigroups are closed under their respective binary operations, meaning that when two elements from the set are combined using the operation, the result is always another element in the set. This is known as closure, and it is an important property of these structures.

5. Can a monoid or semigroup have more than one identity element?

No, a monoid can only have one identity element, while a semigroup may not have an identity element at all. If a structure has more than one identity element, it is not considered a monoid. The identity element is unique and is crucial for the structure to function as intended.