Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy New Year a bit early

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I won't be around tomorrow night to enjoy the annual near-beer and Nyquil New Year's Eve countdown (I actually have real life friends to spend the evening with this year :biggrin:), so I thought I'd wish everyone a Happy New Year a bit early, and at least get the party started. Hopefully by this time tomorrow night, I'll be completely toasted on martinis. :biggrin: That's the drink of choice my friends have requested, so that's what we're going with (after a dinner of cornish hens, mandarin orange and apple stuffing, rosemary roasted baby potatoes, snow peas, and a flourless chocolate cake for dessert...or maybe during and before dinner too :biggrin:).

Okay, how are you all celebrating New Year's Eve so we can all make Evo jealous. :biggrin: :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I am going out with three air stewardesses, we will attend the Basil Swaits
    new years do, a right opulent bash, then who knows what.

4. Dec 30, 2007 #3
    I'll be home studying some cool maths, and will enjoy a mug of my favorite beer. I have to work on Tuesday anyways.

Happy New Year!!!!

:rofl:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. Dec 30, 2007 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My 16-month daughter is crazy about pizza, so, for supper, we'll have pizza delivered. After we put our daughter to bed, my wife and I will eat chocolates while watching a movie on DVD.

6. Dec 30, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Winner!

I am going to San Diego tomorrow. The bf is taking me to dinner at a German restaurant.

7. Dec 30, 2007 #6
    Going out with 10 of my friends (for drinks) half of them ladies. :uhh:

8. Dec 30, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, half ladies, and assuming the other half are gentlemen and not trolls or anteaters, then you've got a perfectly matched party! Everyone has someone to kiss at midnight. :wink: :biggrin:

9. Dec 30, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I are going to spend a quiet evening at home, probably watching a few episodes of BBC's "Planet Earth" enjoying some good food and likely turning in long before the ball drops. Due to my medical problems with fragrances, we've been unable to join friends for festivities for years, but we've developed our own little traditions for holidays like this. New Year's is pretty free-wheeling, so anything could happen. Maybe some nice crab-cakes with dressing made from chili relish and mayo....maybe some BBQ spare ribs...who knows?

10. Dec 30, 2007 #9
    Did someone say crabcakes!? Cant say crabs around a Marylander without sharing, sorry! The crab is our state bird. Need Old Bay?

11. Dec 30, 2007 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I worked for a time for a company in Columbia, and since I was a consultant, and pretty much lived in hotels and ate in restaurants, I asked locals to steer me to their favorite crab shacks, etc.

The best crab cakes I've ever had have been prepared here in Maine out of Pacific crab. We have wonderful crab here in Maine, but it is never as sweet or complex in flavor as the Pacific varieties (either the stuff that comes out of the arctic or the crab that comes from SE Asia). My wife picks up crabmeat from time to time, and depending on the flavor, she invariably whips up some cakes that will force you to eat until you want to bust. She makes the crab-cakes and I make up the sauces out of mayo and my chili relishes and salsas. Generally, the more delicate-flavored crab gets milder salsas in the mix, and the richer ones can stand a little more competition.

12. Dec 31, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Quiet evening at home. My rowdy days are long over.

We have snow and rain tonight, so I imagine most out doors places will be cold and damp tomorrow night.

I'm quite content to have a quiet evening at home. A nice fire would be nice, but we don't have a fireplace.

And I'll probably be reading papers on interstellar plasmas.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  13. Dec 31, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will be working on a circuit and pounding down shots of Nyquil from a dirty shot glass. Tsu has to work as well - someone has to brainscan the drunks that crash their cars.

14. Dec 31, 2007 #13
    Yay, finally New Year comes, I am soo happy!
    I will go buy a big delicious baked duck in a store in Chinese town. I am jealous of the business they are doing since they attract so many customers.

15. Dec 31, 2007 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hope you'll have fun!

As a special treat, why don't you all have a bit of "Smalahove" (Sheep's head), a renowned Norwegian delicacy:
    [​IMG]
    Eat and enjoy! :smile:

Psst..The squishy eyes are the tastiest part

16. Dec 31, 2007 #15
    Can you eat the eyeballs? I dont see how there is much meat to eat on the head though? It seems mostly skull, with a thin layer of fat and skin.

17. Dec 31, 2007 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There's brain as well. :smile:

18. Dec 31, 2007 #17
    It looks like it would taste like duck.

Im not a huge fan of Lamb. I like a steak cooked rare. Lamb is like a stake well done - chewing gum.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  19. Dec 31, 2007 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I dunno.
    I have never dared to eat either lutefisk or smalahove..

20. Dec 31, 2007 #19
    Bock Bock Bock Bock Bockkkkkkkkkkk.

21. Dec 31, 2007 #20

wolram

Gold Member

If i was given that i would puke, i bet not many Norweedians eat it, is the portion of dick for decoration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?