Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy news to share

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've got a new job! I'm moving up...to an office almost directly above the one I'm currently in. :biggrin: Contract isn't signed yet, but I have the verbal offer and permission to start moving into my new office...one with a window finally! Actually, even better than a window, it's newly renovated and in the part of the building that has the new, and actually functioning HVAC system, so I'll have AC in summer and heat in winter, not the other way around. :biggrin: Who knows, maybe I'll even have my own thermostat in my office.

This is actually a slight shift in career direction for me. This is primarily an education position. I'll still be doing some research, but it'll be the more minor aspect of my time commitment. Writing research grants went from being a challenge to beating my head against the wall...people far more senior than me are losing funding left and right. At the same time, as you all can probably tell from my interaction with folks here, I LOVE teaching, so why keep bashing my head against the wall going nowhere when I can be content collaborating with other people on their research projects, and focusing my energy on teaching? So, I'm quite ecstatic today that I was offered this new position. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wonderful! Congrats, Moonie :cool: !!!!

Will you be teaching anything different from what you do now?

4. Jul 22, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

WOOHOO!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jul 22, 2008 #4
    Congratulations!

Now when you tell your co-workers you look down on them, you can mean it in more ways than one! :devil:

6. Jul 22, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not a lot different, just a lot more classes and students. I've already been teaching in the medical anatomy course, and this summer am teaching occupational therapy and exercise physiology students. This new position will add on teaching nursing and dental students too. And, without trying to juggle full-time research with teaching, I will be able to start learning the medical neuroanatomy course to pick up teaching that. I could teach parts of it already, but that's a course that I really want to learn and teach a lot more of. I tried to sit in on it a couple years ago, but their schedule is so intense, I couldn't get out of my research obligations enough to make it meaningful. Now I'll have time to dedicate to that class too.

The department also teaches the histology courses, but I don't think they need much help there. It's usually pretty easy to find people who can teach portions of histology. Though, if they need me to help there, I can come up to speed pretty quickly on that course.

Evo, I love those smilies. :biggrin: Woo hoo! One even has sparklers (I think that's what those are).

7. Jul 22, 2008 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Congrats - after months of heavy drinking, it's finally over!

8. Jul 22, 2008 #7
    At least MoonBear doesn't have to do so many projects at the same time. I'm not sure if MoonBear wants to

9. Jul 22, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

We will have to change your handle to Starbear.

10. Jul 22, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No kidding! I'm glad I had you to do some of the drinking for me. :biggrin: I didn't even realize how tense I was getting about it until I suddenly unwound after getting the news today (maybe that's why I bounced so high). At first, it was easy to just stay calm and patient, but I thought they were making decisions much earlier than they finally did, and when those dates passed, I thought I was passed over, then I'd run into someone who would let me know that decisions weren't made yet, maybe next week, then another week would pass, and still no news, etc. But, the wait is over! Phew!

11. Jul 22, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! Hmm...I will get to see more of that big yellow star that's out in the day time.

12. Jul 22, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Moonie, I am so happy for you!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

13. Jul 22, 2008 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's great news! I'm excited for you!!!!!

14. Jul 22, 2008 #13
    That is great news Moonbear! I'm sure you will love your new position, and the students will love it I am sure to, it is a rare treat to find a prof who really loves to teach! Having a window is exciting, windowless offices are so depressing. Some of the labs I work in have no windows and I hate it.

15. Jul 22, 2008 #14
    Kudos to you, Moonbear. I can't think of anyone I know who's worked as hard as you have to accomplish what you have. I'm beyond happy for you!

16. Jul 22, 2008 #15
    Is Nice! (Borat...)

17. Jul 23, 2008 #16

~christina~

Gold Member

Evo took the original dance smiley I posted so I have to come up with a new one.
    [​IMG]

The original smiley is dancing with flowers.

18. Jul 23, 2008 #17

Lisa!

Gold Member

Congrats!

19. Jul 23, 2008 #18
    Thats wonderful news. And you get a window!

20. Jul 23, 2008 #19
    Congrats. Moonbear, Now, about that window, are there three colored dots in the upper left corner? or is there an X in a red box in the upper right corner? :rolleyes:

21. Jul 23, 2008 #20

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great news for you, and great news for your school! You're a natural.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?