Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy Patty's Day

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    Happy Patty's Day!!!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone.

I just kicked off an eight hour play list of irish music, poured my first drink, and put the pot with the corned beef on the stove.

How about all of you?

currently playing: Dirty Glass by Dropkick Murphys

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: Happy Patty's Day!!!!

My father's family clans (Orrs and Baileys) made their way to Maine during the Irish potato famine. Some were fishermen, some were farmers, all were dirt-poor. Still, we celebrated.

My wife and I are having a quiet evening at home. Me in my jeans and green T-shirt and green cotton shirt, and her in her pink Capri-pants and white fleece. (Infidel!)

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've got my corned beef ready!

5. Mar 17, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I just read that the Irish celebrated with Irish bacon and cabbage, but when they got to the cities in the US, they couldn't afford to buy bacon, so they turned to corned beef as a cheaper alternative. Hmmm.

6. Mar 17, 2010 #5

Evo

True, corned beef is not traditional Irish, it's an American creation.

7. Mar 17, 2010 #6

I do not really know my lineage though I have a 'Mc' on my name. ;-)

Drunken Night In London - The Mahones

8. Mar 17, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Salted beef more likely originated in Europe, when navies and armies needed to have protein before the age of refrigeration. Canning originated in Europe, too, IIR, when Napoleon needed to have long-term preservation of food for his armies.

9. Mar 17, 2010 #8

I was actually planning on picking up some bacon to finish off the head of cabbage with.

Friends just showed up and we had some "Irish Car Bombs". Now we are going to play a boxing video game (Fight Night Round 4).

Currently: Drunken Sailor - The Blaggards

10. Mar 17, 2010 #9

Snakes had the right to live in Ireland too!

speciesists.

11. Mar 17, 2010 #10

Mother F***in Snakes in the Mother F***in Highland!

Girlz on the Fiddle - Mutiny

12. Mar 17, 2010 #11

is your avatar a picture of an Ubese bounty hunter holding the "scales of justice"?

13. Mar 17, 2010 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No Irish in my family, so I just going to drink beer.....red beer.

14. Mar 17, 2010 #13

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Time to wear some green!

15. Mar 17, 2010 #14

Its supposed to be an ape. It kinda loses the resemblance when shrunk.

16. Mar 17, 2010 #15

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not only that, but he upset the natural balance of the island. The result: 14 centuries later, the Great Potato blight.

17. Mar 17, 2010 #16

Evo

Love it RB!! :biggrin:

18. Mar 17, 2010 #17

turbo

Gold Member

We got hit with the same blight last season, destroying much of Maine's potato crop. Luckily, the US food supply is a bit more diverse than that of 19th C Ireland. I don't know how many of my ancestors died trying to get out of Ireland, but I have the blight to thank for my presence in Maine. Well, that and the onerous laws of the English that forced Irish-owned farms to be divided equally amongst all male heirs (smaller and smaller with every generation) and forbade the loaning of money to the Irish to buy property.

19. Mar 17, 2010 #18

I'm neither Irish nor Catholic, and I'm a teetotaler. As you can imagine, I don't celebrate this holiday.

20. Mar 17, 2010 #19

You can have some corned beef (or bacon) and cabbage and maybe have some cider while listening to irish music. :-)

21. Mar 17, 2010 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I'm only about 1/2 Irish and I am no longer Catholic, but I can hold up part of the beer-debt for you. ;-)

BTW, in this part of the world, St. Patrick's day is not only a time to celebrate our Irish heritage (if you've got it). It's also a time to thumb our noses at the English who had the temerity to force our ancestors to take arms against the French (all able-bodied men were required to train as militia, and keep and bear arms), only to find out that once the colonists got fed up, they couldn't manage to transport and supply a standing army sufficient to keep the colonists under control.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook