Happy St. Patrick's Day - Celebrate in Style!

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
In summary, Happy St. Patrick's Day was being celebrated by many with traditional Irish music, drinks, and food like corned beef. Some shared their Irish heritage and family history, while others simply enjoyed the holiday with friends. There were also discussions about the impact of the Irish potato famine and the ongoing tensions with the British. Regardless of background or beliefs, everyone was wishing for a happy and fun St. Patrick's Day.
TheStatutoryApe
Happy Patty's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone.

I just kicked off an eight hour play list of irish music, poured my first drink, and put the pot with the corned beef on the stove.

How about all of you?

currently playing: Dirty Glass by Dropkick Murphys

Physics news on Phys.org

My father's family clans (Orrs and Baileys) made their way to Maine during the Irish potato famine. Some were fishermen, some were farmers, all were dirt-poor. Still, we celebrated.

My wife and I are having a quiet evening at home. Me in my jeans and green T-shirt and green cotton shirt, and her in her pink Capri-pants and white fleece. (Infidel!)

I've got my corned beef ready!

Evo said:
I've got my corned beef ready!
I just read that the Irish celebrated with Irish bacon and cabbage, but when they got to the cities in the US, they couldn't afford to buy bacon, so they turned to corned beef as a cheaper alternative. Hmmm.

turbo-1 said:
I just read that the Irish celebrated with Irish bacon and cabbage, but when they got to the cities in the US, they couldn't afford to buy bacon, so they turned to corned beef as a cheaper alternative. Hmmm.
True, corned beef is not traditional Irish, it's an American creation.

Turbo said:
My father's family clans (Orrs and Baileys) made their way to Maine during the Irish potato famine. Some were fishermen, some were farmers, all were dirt-poor. Still, we celebrated.
I do not really know my lineage though I have a 'Mc' on my name. ;-)

Drunken Night In London - The Mahones

Evo said:
True, corned beef is not traditional Irish, it's an American creation.
Salted beef more likely originated in Europe, when navies and armies needed to have protein before the age of refrigeration. Canning originated in Europe, too, IIR, when Napoleon needed to have long-term preservation of food for his armies.

turbo-1 said:

I was actually planning on picking up some bacon to finish off the head of cabbage with.

Friends just showed up and we had some "Irish Car Bombs". Now we are going to play a boxing video game (Fight Night Round 4).

Currently: Drunken Sailor - The Blaggards

Snakes had the right to live in Ireland too!

speciesists.

MotoH said:

speciesists.

Mother F***in Snakes in the Mother F***in Highland!

Girlz on the Fiddle - Mutiny

is your avatar a picture of an Ubese bounty hunter holding the "scales of justice"?

No Irish in my family, so I just going to drink beer...red beer.

Time to wear some green!

MotoH said:
is your avatar a picture of an Ubese bounty hunter holding the "scales of justice"?

Its supposed to be an ape. It kinda loses the resemblance when shrunk.

MotoH said:

speciesists.

Not only that, but he upset the natural balance of the island. The result: 14 centuries later, the Great Potato blight.

Redbelly98 said:
Time to wear some green!

Love it RB! :biggrin:

Janus said:
Not only that, but he upset the natural balance of the island. The result: 14 centuries later, the Great Potato blight.
We got hit with the same blight last season, destroying much of Maine's potato crop. Luckily, the US food supply is a bit more diverse than that of 19th C Ireland. I don't know how many of my ancestors died trying to get out of Ireland, but I have the blight to thank for my presence in Maine. Well, that and the onerous laws of the English that forced Irish-owned farms to be divided equally amongst all male heirs (smaller and smaller with every generation) and forbade the loaning of money to the Irish to buy property.

I'm neither Irish nor Catholic, and I'm a teetotaler. As you can imagine, I don't celebrate this holiday.

Jack21222 said:
I'm neither Irish nor Catholic, and I'm a teetotaler. As you can imagine, I don't celebrate this holiday.

You can have some corned beef (or bacon) and cabbage and maybe have some cider while listening to irish music. :-)

Jack21222 said:
I'm only about 1/2 Irish and I am no longer Catholic, but I can hold up part of the beer-debt for you. ;-)

BTW, in this part of the world, St. Patrick's day is not only a time to celebrate our Irish heritage (if you've got it). It's also a time to thumb our noses at the English who had the temerity to force our ancestors to take arms against the French (all able-bodied men were required to train as militia, and keep and bear arms), only to find out that once the colonists got fed up, they couldn't manage to transport and supply a standing army sufficient to keep the colonists under control.

I'm a lot Irish...yay! I'm going to celebrate today by studying all evening and long into the night...sigh.

turbo-1 said:
I'm only about 1/2 Irish and I am no longer Catholic, but I can hold up part of the beer-debt for you. ;-)

BTW, in this part of the world, St. Patrick's day is not only a time to celebrate our Irish heritage (if you've got it). It's also a time to thumb our noses at the English who had the temerity to force our ancestors to take arms against the French (all able-bodied men were required to train as militia, and keep and bear arms), only to find out that once the colonists got fed up, they couldn't manage to transport and supply a standing army sufficient to keep the colonists under control.

They should have stayed out of The Troubles too. The British never give us Catholic Irish a break!

(hic)!

Where's Hypatia on her day?

turbo-1 said:
BTW, in this part of the world, St. Patrick's day is not only a time to celebrate our Irish heritage (if you've got it). It's also a time to thumb our noses at the English ...

You need an excuse to do that? :confused:

MotoH said:
They should have stayed out of The Troubles too. The British never give us Catholic Irish a break!

Now that is the most hypocritical post that I've ever seen coming from an American!

Oh, and by the way, it's actually called St. Paddy's day, since the guy's name was really Padraig. Of course, you lot being well informed Irish descendants knew that.. :uhh:

cristo said:
You need an excuse to do that? :confused:
Not really. We have Independence Day. Other holidays are tweaking, at best.

OmCheeto said:
(hic)!

Where's Hypatia on her day?

I worked and then went to a local pub for a great meal and a few pints of
Beamish. Of course, every day is Patty's day for me.

cristo said:
Oh, and by the way, it's actually called St. Paddy's day, since the guy's name was really Padraig. Of course, you lot being well informed Irish descendants knew that.. :uhh:
I've seen it both ways. I usually use Paddy but I have seen Patty so often that I thought I was doing it wrong. :-/
bwrTHZx-FkA[/youtube]

cristo said:
Now that is the most hypocritical post that I've ever seen coming from an American!

Don't make us come over to wherever you are, liberate and bring democracy to you!

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've seen it both ways. I usually use Paddy but I have seen Patty so often that I thought I was doing it wrong. :-/

You will never, ever encounter an Irish person who calls it "Patty's" day; the only people who refer to it thus are American. "Patty" is a girl's name (and an American one at that); "Paddy" and "Patrick" are the anglicised versions of the Irish "Padraig" and hence is the correct term.

shoehorn said:
You will never, ever encounter an Irish person who calls it "Patty's" day; the only people who refer to it thus are American. "Patty" is a girl's name (and an American one at that); "Paddy" and "Patrick" are the anglicised versions of the Irish "Padraig" and hence is the correct term.

How is Padraig pronounced? My best guess: PAD-rayg. Am I close?

lisab said:
There's a golfer on the PGA tour that can help you with that.

lisab said:

I wanted to know that too. Somebody says that in the South it is pronounced 'PAW-drig' while it seems that the more to the north, the more the d dissapears: 'PAW-rig'.

But I'm only the messenger.

1. What is the meaning behind St. Patrick's Day?

St. Patrick's Day is a cultural and religious holiday that celebrates the patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick. It is believed that St. Patrick introduced Christianity to Ireland in the 5th century and used the three-leaf clover, or shamrock, to explain the concept of the Holy Trinity.

2. Why is green associated with St. Patrick's Day?

Green is the color most commonly associated with St. Patrick's Day because it is the color of the shamrock and is also the color of Ireland's landscape. It is also believed that wearing green makes you invisible to leprechauns, mischievous creatures from Irish folklore.

3. How is St. Patrick's Day celebrated?

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated in various ways, depending on the country and culture. In Ireland, it is a national holiday and is celebrated with parades, festivals, and traditional Irish food and drinks. In other countries, it is often celebrated with parties, wearing green, and consuming Irish-inspired food and drinks.

4. What are some traditional Irish foods eaten on St. Patrick's Day?

Some traditional Irish foods eaten on St. Patrick's Day include corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread, shepherd's pie, and colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage or kale). Irish beer, particularly Guinness, is also a popular drink on this holiday.

5. Is St. Patrick's Day only celebrated in Ireland?

No, St. Patrick's Day is celebrated in many countries around the world, including the United States, Canada, Australia, and Argentina. It has become a popular holiday to celebrate Irish culture and heritage, even for those who are not of Irish descent.