Happy Pi-Approximation Day

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, March 14th, known as Pi Day, is a day dedicated to celebrating the mathematical constant pi (3.14). This conversation discusses other possible days to celebrate pi, such as Pi Approximation Day on July 22nd and (1/Pi)-Approximation Day on April 30th. There is also mention of celebrating other mathematical constants such as the square root of 53 and e. The conversation also jokes about only being allowed to use pi at 3:14 and the year 3142 being an approximate pi year.
neutrino
22/7 :rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day

Edit: Could a mentor please change 'Date' to 'Day' in the title? Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't believe this... Google doesn't even have a Pi-approximation doodle. They just dropped 10 places in my ranking.

First there's Pi Day. Then there's Pi Approximation Day. I wonder what comes next.

radou said:
First there's Pi Day. Then there's Pi Approximation Day. I wonder what comes next.

Pi-is-a-fraction Day, but that's only celebrated by crackpots. :tongue2:

I'm suddenly inspired to write a Pi recipe book...

Will the year 3141 be approximate pi year?

Mallignamius said:
I'm suddenly inspired to write a Pi recipe book...

Mmmmmmm. Personally, I'm hungry for some Blueberry Pie Right now.

......Ahhh. PI...delicious!:biggrin:

G01 said:
Mmmmmmm. Personally, I'm hungry for some Blueberry Pie Right now.

:rofl::rofl:

If 3/14 is Pi-day, then 7/22 should be called (1/Pi)-Approximation day... following the way dates are written in the US.

robphy said:
If 3/14 is Pi-day, then 7/22 should be called (1/Pi)-Approximation day... following the way dates are written in the US.
This is for those of us who celebrate Pi-day on the 31st of April. :biggrin: Essentially, the complement of the US set.

neutrino said:
This is for those of us who celebrate Pi-day on the 31st of April.
But since there's no 31st of April, I guess we'd have to settle for 30.9999...th of April instead? Also, today will never end...

Gokul43201 said:
But since there's no 31st of April, I guess we'd have to settle for 30.9999...th of April instead? Also, today will never end...

So, 30.999...th of April is really (9.99999...Pi)-day.

Hey guys, get ready: it's almost "Square root of 53 day"!

Chi Meson said:
Hey guys, get ready: it's almost "Square root of 53 day"!

Oh, and talking about square roots, we can't possibly let the "Square root of 2 day" be forgotten.

Do we also get special pi times? You can only use pi at 3:14 every day.

Kurdt said:
Will the year 3141 be approximate pi year?

3142 :wink:

We can also have an 'e-day'. Look at poor [itex]\imath[/itex], it never gets to have a "day"...unless someone can come up with a clever idea. [No, (I)ndependence Day does not count]

moose said:
3142 :wink:

Hey I said it was approximate :tongue:

happy pi approximation day + pi * 0.31831 day day

1. What is "Happy Pi-Approximation Day"?

"Happy Pi-Approximation Day" is a holiday celebrated on July 22nd to honor the mathematical constant pi (π) and its approximation to 22/7 or 3.14.

2. Why is July 22nd chosen as the date for "Happy Pi-Approximation Day"?

July 22nd was chosen as "Happy Pi-Approximation Day" because this date can be written as 22/7, which is a common approximation for pi. This date also falls midway between Pi Day (March 14th) and Pi Approximation Day (July 22nd), making it a perfect day to celebrate pi.

3. How is "Happy Pi-Approximation Day" celebrated?

"Happy Pi-Approximation Day" can be celebrated in many ways, such as eating pie, solving pi-related puzzles and problems, and attending pi-themed events or parties. It is also a great day to appreciate the importance of pi in mathematics and science.

4. What is the significance of pi in mathematics and science?

Pi is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, and it has an infinite number of digits after the decimal point. Pi is used in many mathematical equations and is essential for calculations in fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering.

5. Can pi be calculated accurately?

No, pi cannot be calculated accurately as it is an irrational number. The decimal representation of pi goes on infinitely without repeating, making it impossible to calculate its exact value. However, mathematicians and scientists have been able to approximate pi to billions of digits using advanced computing techniques.