Happy PI Day 2013: Celebrating Albert Einstein's Birthday

• Thread starter collinsmark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation discussed the celebration of Pi day on March 14th and the use of ISO 8061 and SI units in contrast to the traditional units used in the US and UK. It also touched on the changeover from traditional units to SI units in the UK with no significant impact. The conversation also referenced a comic about dimensional analysis.
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
p3130035-300x225.jpg

(And Albert Einstein's birthday, too)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi pie!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/34/Pi_Pie.jpg/450px-Pi_Pie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw some grad students get pie thrown at them in order to raise money ($300) for the math and physics society.

I don't get it. Why isn't Pi day the 22nd of July? :biggrin:

(But I suppose the US would think that was ##\pi^{-1}## day).

ISO 8061 says we should use the date of 2013-03-14 :cool:

Last edited:
I'll start using ISO 8061 when the USA starts using SI unite. Deal? :devil:

AlephZero said:

So, in other words, never?

I annoy my advisor by insisting on using ISO 8061 and MKS units as I fight a personal battle against stupid conventions.

AlephZero said:

Aleph, that's your second slight of the USA in the past 24 hours. You need us, get it, US? Hehe.

Attachments

• unclesam.jpg
    unclesam.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 387
jhae2.718 said:
So, in other words, never?

Not necessarily. When I was in elementary school I learned yards, feet and inches, tons, hundredweights, stones, pounds and ounces, and money in pounds shillings and pence.

The UK doesn't use any of those measures now. I don't remember anybody dying in street riots during the changeover. Actually, I don't remember anything much about the changeover at all - it just happened.

Speaking of [itex] \pi, [/itex] units, and the geographical location of and around the UK,

Dimensional Analysis

dimensional_analysis.png

[Source: http://xkcd.com/687/]

[With mouse-over: Or the pressure of the Earth's core will rise slightly.]

What is PI Day?

PI Day is a celebration of the mathematical constant π (pi), which is approximately 3.14. It falls on March 14th (3/14) and also coincides with the birthday of renowned physicist Albert Einstein.

Why is it called PI Day?

It is called PI Day because the date, March 14th, corresponds to the first three digits of the mathematical constant π (3.14).

Who celebrates PI Day?

PI Day is celebrated by mathematicians, scientists, and enthusiasts all over the world. It is also recognized by schools and educational institutions as a way to engage students in the study of mathematics.

What are some ways to celebrate PI Day?

There are many ways to celebrate PI Day, such as hosting a pie baking contest, reciting pi to as many digits as possible, or attending a local PI Day event. Some people also celebrate by wearing clothing with π symbols or participating in math-related activities.

Why is Albert Einstein's birthday significant on PI Day?

Albert Einstein, one of the most influential scientists of all time, was born on March 14th, 1879. His contributions to the field of physics, particularly his theory of relativity, have had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. Celebrating his birthday on PI Day is a way to honor his legacy and recognize the importance of mathematics in science.