Happy St. Patrick's Day - Padford

• Thread starter Padford
  • Start date
In summary, the author tries a different boxty recipe, and it is not as good as the one he usually uses.
Padford
Happy St. Patrick's Day! :approve:

Hope you all have/had a good day (depending on your time area!)

-Padford

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, Happy Saint Patty's Day!

I was thinking, folks always wear these buttons and stuff that says "Kiss me, I'm Irish" on St. Patty's Day. I want one that reads, "I'm not Irish, kiss me anyway!" :biggrin: Or should that be :biggreen:?

Hi;
What I find peculiar is that I'm a semi-militant atheist and only 1/4 Irish (less if you discount the Spanish part of being Black Irish), and yet I celebrate SAINT Paddy's Day. So a happy one back at you.
PS: to Moonbear -- just do as I do: draw up you own buttons in Illustrator or whatever you have and laminate them onto giveaway buttons from trade fairs and such.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all those who are Irish or, for 24 hours, wish they were! :biggrin:

My mom's Irish, so go ahead and give me a half-kiss.

No irish in me, but I do enjoy corned beef and cabbage each year on this day.

Does anyone have a good recipe for boxties? (?? plural of boxty) They're Irish potato pancakes. There's an Irish pub where I used to live that served them and they were absolutely addicting, so tonight I decided to look up a recipe, but most were intended to serve a LOT more than just one person (I'll settle for something that serves 4), and the one I did try just didn't taste the same at all (rather plain). Anyway, if anyone has a recipe that's scaled down to small serving numbers, I'd love to have it!

Dia is Muire dhuit.

MoonBear, my grandmother made boxties when I was younger. I'll see if I can get a recipe out of my mother. Happy Saint Patrick's day.

Slan (Sorry, it is only at certain points I can let the Irish out)

1/2 lb. Raw potato
1/2 lb. Mashed potato
1/2 lb. Plain flour
Milk
1 med. Egg
Salt and pepper

Grate raw potatoes and mix with the cooked mashed potatoes. Add salt, pepper and flour. Beat egg and add to mixture with just enough milk to make a batter that will drop from a spoon. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle or frying pan. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with a tart apple sauce: or as part of an Ulster Fry, with fried bacon, fried sausage, fried eggs, fried bread, fried soda bread.

An old poem says:
Boxty on the griddle,
boxty in the pan,
if you can't make boxty,
you'll never get a man.

What a glorious day St Patrick's Day is. It's only second to Halloween. I might as well post my generic drunk picture while I'm at it.

http://myfiles.dyndns.org:8080/pictures/shawn_drink.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Erin Go Bragh! Now shut yur trrap, drink yur Guinness, and eat yur sheppards pite! Ahhhyee!

hypatia said:
1/2 lb. Raw potato
1/2 lb. Mashed potato
1/2 lb. Plain flour
Milk
1 med. Egg
Salt and pepper

Grate raw potatoes and mix with the cooked mashed potatoes. Add salt, pepper and flour. Beat egg and add to mixture with just enough milk to make a batter that will drop from a spoon. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle or frying pan. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with a tart apple sauce: or as part of an Ulster Fry, with fried bacon, fried sausage, fried eggs, fried bread, fried soda bread.

An old poem says:
Boxty on the griddle,
boxty in the pan,
if you can't make boxty,
you'll never get a man.

That's the one I tried...I was hoping for someone's home recipe, not another one off the web, since I want one someone can vouch for as tasting good. Thanks for trying though. :wink:

thats pretty much the basic one i use..the secret to the home made taste is what you fry it in...bacon drippings. try it again...ummm umm now dems good eats.

PS. also I use a cast iron fry pan

Last edited:
hypatia said:
thats pretty much the basic one i use..the secret to the home made taste is what you fry it in...bacon drippings. try it again...ummm umm now dems good eats.

Aha! I knew there had to be some secret, because it tasted too dry. I can just hear my arteries clogging now. Good thing it's something I'd only make once in a while. Thanks! I'll try it again...as soon as I have some bacon around. :biggrin:

What is the history behind St. Patrick's Day?

The holiday commemorates Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, who brought Christianity to the country in the 5th century. It is celebrated on March 17th, the date of Saint Patrick's death.

Why is the color green associated with St. Patrick's Day?

Green is the color of Ireland and symbolizes the lush landscape of the country. It is also associated with the shamrock, which is believed to have been used by Saint Patrick to explain the Holy Trinity.

What are some traditional ways to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

Some traditional ways to celebrate include attending parades, wearing green, and eating traditional Irish dishes such as corned beef and cabbage. Many people also participate in drinking green beer and other alcoholic beverages.

What is the significance of the shamrock on St. Patrick's Day?

The shamrock is a symbol of Ireland and is associated with Saint Patrick. Legend has it that he used the three-leaf clover to explain the concept of the Holy Trinity to the Irish people.

Why do people pinch each other on St. Patrick's Day?

Pinching is a tradition that is said to have originated from the belief that wearing green makes you invisible to leprechauns, who would pinch anyone they could see. So, if you're not wearing green on St. Patrick's Day, you may get pinched as a reminder to wear the color next time.