Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy St. Patricks Day

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!! :approve:

Hope you all have/had a good day (depending on your time area!)

-Padford

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, Happy Saint Patty's Day!

I was thinking, folks always wear these buttons and stuff that says "Kiss me, I'm Irish" on St. Patty's Day. I want one that reads, "I'm not Irish, kiss me anyway!" :biggrin: Or should that be :biggreen:?

4. Mar 17, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Hi;
    What I find peculiar is that I'm a semi-militant atheist and only 1/4 Irish (less if you discount the Spanish part of being Black Irish), and yet I celebrate SAINT Paddy's Day. So a happy one back at you.
    PS: to Moonbear -- just do as I do: draw up you own buttons in Illustrator or whatever you have and laminate them onto giveaway buttons from trade fairs and such.

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to all those who are Irish or, for 24 hours, wish they were! :biggrin:

6. Mar 17, 2005 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

My mom's Irish, so go ahead and give me a half-kiss.

7. Mar 17, 2005 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

No irish in me, but I do enjoy corned beef and cabbage each year on this day.

8. Mar 17, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone have a good recipe for boxties? (?? plural of boxty) They're Irish potato pancakes. There's an Irish pub where I used to live that served them and they were absolutely addicting, so tonight I decided to look up a recipe, but most were intended to serve a LOT more than just one person (I'll settle for something that serves 4), and the one I did try just didn't taste the same at all (rather plain). Anyway, if anyone has a recipe that's scaled down to small serving numbers, I'd love to have it!

9. Mar 17, 2005 #8
    Dia is Muire dhuit.

MoonBear, my grandmother made boxties when I was younger. I'll see if I can get a recipe out of my mother. Happy Saint Patrick's day.

Slan (Sorry, it is only at certain points I can let the Irish out)

10. Mar 18, 2005 #9
    1/2 lb. Raw potato
    1/2 lb. Mashed potato
    1/2 lb. Plain flour
    Milk
    1 med. Egg
    Salt and pepper

Grate raw potatoes and mix with the cooked mashed potatoes. Add salt, pepper and flour. Beat egg and add to mixture with just enough milk to make a batter that will drop from a spoon. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle or frying pan. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with a tart apple sauce: or as part of an Ulster Fry, with fried bacon, fried sausage, fried eggs, fried bread, fried soda bread.

An old poem says:
    Boxty on the griddle,
    boxty in the pan,
    if you can't make boxty,
    you'll never get a man.

11. Mar 18, 2005 #10

ShawnD

Science Advisor

What a glorious day St Patrick's Day is. It's only second to Halloween. I might as well post my generic drunk picture while I'm at it.

[​IMG]

12. Mar 18, 2005 #11
    Erin Go Bragh! Now shut yur trrap, drink yur Guinness, and eat yur sheppards pite! Ahhhyee!

13. Mar 18, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the one I tried...I was hoping for someone's home recipe, not another one off the web, since I want one someone can vouch for as tasting good. Thanks for trying though. :wink:

14. Mar 18, 2005 #13
    thats pretty much the basic one i use..the secret to the home made taste is what you fry it in....bacon drippings. try it again...ummm umm now dems good eats.

PS. also I use a cast iron fry pan

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  15. Mar 18, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aha! I knew there had to be some secret, because it tasted too dry. I can just hear my arteries clogging now. Good thing it's something I'd only make once in a while. Thanks! I'll try it again...as soon as I have some bacon around. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?