Happy St. Urho's Day (March 16)

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the Finns are going to try to beat the Irish in a competition before spring break begins.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
[Warning: necropost!]
[Current posts start here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4309814#post4309814]

We Finns have to get in our licks before the Irish do. :wink:

15693.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tit ve forket to haf a Pi Tay topik?

Hey, I didn't know you knew Finglish! : Your name makes me think more of Transylvania.

Enjoy the kalamoyakka!

While searching for a suitable image I found the following menu (no hotlinks allowed, apparently):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22217537@N08/3355117428/

First time I've seen makkara called "Finnish wieners." :rolleyes:

Ah, now I remember: a nakki is the slim type of sausage that would most likely be called a "wiener" in the States. A makkara is a plump juicy thing like a bratwurst.

jtbell said:
We Finns have to get in our licks before the Irish do. :wink:

Too late.

Manhattan's popular annual Irish celebration, Fake Patty's Day, is March 12 this year, with the extravaganza taking place a week before spring break begins.

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/news/fake-patty-s-day-celebrating-before-break-1.2510371"

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this also an excuse to get blind drunk, or more of a cultural event? :wink:

Ode to St. Urho:

Ooksie, kooksie, kollme vee
Santia Urho isa poy for me.
He sase out ta hopper as pig as birds,
Neffer peefor haff I hurd dose words!
He really told dose pugs of kreen;
Braffest Finn I effer seen.
Some celebrate for St. Pat unt his snakes,
Putt Urho poyka got what it takes.
He got tall unt strong on feelia sour,
Unt ate kalla moyakka effery hour.
Tats why dat guy could sase dose peetles
What crew as thick as chack bine needles.
So let's give a cheer in hower best vay,
On the sixteenth of March - St. Urho's Day!

nismaratwork said:
Is this also an excuse to get blind drunk, or more of a cultural event? :wink:
If you are asking about the link I posted, both I guess. I just happened to see it on the local news about how this year they were better prepared; more potties, more cops.

You see, this is at Kansas State University (a rivalry of "my" Kansas University), drinking is probably the biggest part of it IMO.

dlgoff said:
If you are asking about the link I posted, both I guess. I just happened to see it on the local news about how this year they were better prepared; more potties, more cops.

You see, this is at Kansas State University (a rivalry of "my" Kansas University), drinking is probably the biggest part of it IMO.

*glug glug glug* *BRAAAAAP* *wipe mouth*

Sorry, you were saying? :wink:

Finnish to the finish!

Here I am, all crippled up, icing my ankle when I should be dancing to St. Urho! Maybe I can wait up another hour and 10 minutes and hoist one to St. Paddy.

Both sides of my father's father's family came to Maine during the potato famine. Orrs and Baileys, and they ended up in two geographically separated homesteads, based on whether they wanted to fish or farm. My great-great grandparents were a farmer who married a fisherman's daughter from the coastal group.

turbo-1 said:
Here I am, all crippled up, icing my ankle when I should be dancing to St. Urho! Maybe I can wait up another hour and 10 minutes and hoist one to St. Paddy.

Both sides of my father's father's family came to Maine during the potato famine. Orrs and Baileys, and they ended up in two geographically separated homesteads, based on whether they wanted to fish or farm. My great-great grandparents were a farmer who married a fisherman's daughter from the coastal group.

"...Instead of digging praties I'll be diggin' lumps of gold!"

:wink:

Heal fast man!

OK, it's 10 minutes after, and I have cracked the seal on another Molson Golden, so cheers to St.Paddy! I have no Guiness or Jameson's, so I'll have to pretend that Canadian beer works.

turbo-1 said:
OK, it's 10 minutes after, and I have cracked the seal on another Molson Golden, so cheers to St.Paddy! I have no Guiness or Jameson's, so I'll have to pretend that Canadian beer works.

"Faol saol agat agus bas in Eirinn!"

Janus said:
Ode to St. Urho:

Ooksie, kooksie, kollme vee
Santia Urho isa poy for me.
He sase out ta hopper as pig as birds,
Neffer peefor haff I hurd dose words!
He really told dose pugs of kreen;
Braffest Finn I effer seen.
Some celebrate for St. Pat unt his snakes,
Putt Urho poyka got what it takes.
He got tall unt strong on feelia sour,
Unt ate kalla moyakka effery hour.
Tats why dat guy could sase dose peetles
What crew as thick as chack bine needles.
So let's give a cheer in hower best vay,

That was difficult to read but well worth it (even though I couldn't understand it all). :rofl:

Borg said:
That was difficult to read but well worth it (even though I couldn't understand it all). :rofl:

Translation:

One, two, three, five
Saint Urho is the boy for me.
He chased out the grasshoppers that were as big as birds,
Never before have I heard those words.
He really told those bugs of green,
Bravest Finn I've ever seen.
Some celebrate for St. Pat and his snakes,
But Urho boy has got what it takes.
He got tall and strong on feelia sour (sour buttermilk)
And ate kalla moyakka (fish head stew) every hour.
That's why that guy could chase those beetles,
That grew as thick as jack pine needles.
So let's give a cheer in our best way,

The original is written as English with a strong Finnish accent.

Here's a little history on St. Urho:

http://www.brownielocks.com/urho.html

A well as being Finnish myself , I was born in Virginia, MN, and was raised in "the Range", the origin place of the St. Urho legend. (Which, incidentally, has its "own" unique dialect/accent, some of the peculiarities of which I still hold on to. )

Last edited:
Borg said:
(even though I couldn't understand it all). :rofl:

That's typical of Finglish. :biggrin:

Last edited:
jtbell said:
It's time to revive this thread. :wink:

Here's a report from a Minneapolis TV station a few days ago:

Finding Minnesota: St. Urho’s Day
That's awesome, a completely imaginary hero, instead of the usual, taking an ordinary person and making up an imaginary event (or embellishing something trivial to the point that the known event has little or nothing to do with the original).

jtbell said:
It's time to revive this thread. :wink:

Here's a report from a Minneapolis TV station a few days ago:

Finding Minnesota: St. Urho’s Day

One of those towns listed as having a parade, Finlayson, is where my parents were born, and I still have quite a few relatives there (in fact, a local road bears my family name).

What is St. Urho's Day?

St. Urho's Day is a fictional holiday celebrated on March 16 in honor of a Finnish saint who is said to have driven away a plague of grasshoppers that were destroying the crops.

Where did St. Urho's Day originate?

The holiday was created in 1956 by Finnish Americans in Minnesota who wanted to have their own version of St. Patrick's Day.

How is St. Urho's Day celebrated?

Celebrations of St. Urho's Day often involve wearing purple and green, the supposed colors of the saint's robes, and participating in parades and other festivities. It is also common to eat traditional Finnish foods, such as mojakka (a meat and vegetable stew) and rye bread.

Is St. Urho a real saint?

No, St. Urho is a fictional saint created for the holiday. There is no historical evidence of a Saint Urho in the Catholic Church.

Why is St. Urho's Day celebrated on March 16?

The date was chosen to coincide with St. Patrick's Day, which falls on March 17. It is also close to the beginning of spring, making it a time for celebration and renewal.