Happy Thanksgiving - Enjoy Your Time With Family

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: I'm looking forward to spending the day with my family. I'll be helping with the turkey cooking, and Ivan and Tsu are coming over for dinner as well.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Happy Thanksgiving!1111

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

For those traveling - have a safe and pleasant trip and come home safely.

And wherever you be - have a pleasant and happy holiday. For those not observing the holiday, mostly outside US, have pleasant and fruitful days as well.

I'll be traveling to Houston and visiting parents and sister's family, so I probably won't be around much until Sunday.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bit early,no? But that is ok! :smile:

My Thanksgiving weekend starts in abouit 2.5hr. :approve: Course my weekend would start in 2.5hr anyway but that is just a detail.

Looks like Ivan and Tsu will be haveing dinner with us. :cool:

I am looking forward to a fun day with some good food.

Right back at you, Astronuc! Hope your family has a great time. We're having a quiet day tomorrow - my father is coming down to share a meal with us and play some card and dice games.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Me, Dr Foofer and the Fruit Bat will be opening a pack of hotdogs and unpacking boxes.

Happy Thanksgiving from Iowa City, IA.

We're glad we drove in late last night. It's going to snow between here and Chicago today, so driving would not be a fun thing.

I'm helping with the turkey again this year. Let's see what "creative" stuff I can do with the bird.

Zz.

May everyone has a great day of feasting! Because I am always thankful for good friends and family, this year i will be thankful for material objects.
my remote control
my microwave oven
M & M candy
and all the things that make my life a bit easier!
Enjoy the day all.

Time to post my favorite Thanksgiving poem once again.

ODE TO A TURKEY

When I was a young turkey, new to the coop,
My big brother Mike took me out on the stoop,
Then he sat me down, and he spoke real slow,
And he told me there was something that I had to know;
His look and his tone I will always remember,
When he told me of the horrors of... Black November;

"Come about August, now listen to me,
Each day you'll get six meals instead of just three,
"And soon you'll be thick, where once you were thin,
And you'll grow a big rubbery thing under your chin;
"And then one morning, when you're warm in your bed,
In'll burst the farmer's wife, and hack off your head;
"Then she'll pluck out all your feathers so you're bald 'n pink,
And scoop out all your insides and leave you lyin' in the sink;

Well, the rest of his words were too grim to repeat,
I sat on the stoop like a winged piece of meat,
And decided on the spot that to avoid being cooked,
I'd have to lay low and remain overlooked;
I began a new diet of nuts and granola,
High-roughage salads, juice and diet cola;
And as they ate pastries, chocolates and grapes,
I stayed in my room doing Jane Fonda tapes;
I maintained my weight of two pounds and a half,
And tried not to notice when the bigger birds laughed;
But 'twas I who was laughing, under my breath,
As they chomped and they chewed, ever closer to death;
And sure enough when Black November rolled around,
I was the last turkey left in the entire compound;

So now I'm a pet in the farmer's wife's lap;
I haven't a worry, so I eat and I nap;
She held me today, while sewing and humming,
And smiled at me and said
"Christmas is coming"

:cry:

I guess now I'm going to eat oatmeal instead of hot dogs.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Astronuc!

Below is a serious Thanksgiving poem I wrote for a poetry contest on another forum. I though you all might enjoy it.

Autumn Memory

Moist warm atmosphere of
people laughing and talking,
pots boiling on the stove.

Ice crystal lace curtains
shy away from the comfort,
forming rivulet prisms
and fracture sunlight
into colorful streaks
on the windows, against the
stark blue day.

Blue and White verses Orange and Blue
“We’re the ones to beat!”
Old school rivalry.
Home game this year.
Field just down the street.
We hear distant reverberations
thumping stands!
drums and trumpets
sift into our silences.

Aromas encapsulate us.
Poultry’s crisp brown skin,
yeast rolls rise
golden tan in the oven,
lazy steam spirals
from a bowl of buttered beans,
cinnamon and nutmeg
spicy scent of autumn pies.

Each odor is distinct,
sitting on a shelf, labeled.
then blended harmoniously,
a hypnotic nocturne
casting a spell
on the sense of smell.

I swipe a roll
for the memories.
The fragrant flaky crust
and doughy white insides
stretch apart in a wisp of vapor.
Too hot to eat. . .
I wait.
They’re sweet.
My favorite food
my mom used to make.
– Damn cancer.
I love when they’re fresh baked.

The pain lingers only briefly,
thankful for the time we had
not forgotten,
lost in laughs and love
melting like the mourning frost
on the window of a
pleasant memory.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Evo, at least go out and buy a turkey leg to cook up for yourself!

Happy travels and turkey day to all.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Have fun, and don't eat too much.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Evo said:
:cry:

I guess now I'm going to eat oatmeal instead of hot dogs.

:frown:

Pass the Tofurkey, please.

LOL

df20031210.jpg

Math Is Hard said:
LOL

df20031210.jpg
:rofl: Thanks MIH!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Kiss Jellyroll for me!

Math Is Hard said:
LOL

df20031210.jpg

Turducken was a bad start. Nobody would eat that. The should have called it a Chuckey. :smile:

P.S. Have a good thanksgiving!

Evo said:
:rofl: Thanks MIH!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Kiss Jellyroll for me!

Thanks! Will do. :smile: I will probably give Jelly a bite of pumpkin pie tomorrow. She is crazy about pie crust!

Kurdt said:
Turducken was a bad start. Nobody would eat that. The should have called it a Chuckey. :smile:

P.S. Have a good thanksgiving!

Have you ever seen the camel version of turducken?

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/camel.asp
camel.jpg

:bugeye:

Math Is Hard said:
Have you ever seen the camel version of turducken?

:bugeye:

:rofl: I like the suggestion of salt to taste. Hmm, how much salt? 6 grams per person.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Yep, we're looking forward to having differentiated turkey! [are we having turkey?].

Kurdt said:

I've never had turducken, but am not sure why it would be bad...sounds really tasty. But, funny you should mention "chuckey" because I actually heard that term on a TV cooking show today (wasn't paying attention which one). Apparently, there are some people in some part of the south who call it chuckey instead of turducken. Might make you think twice about naming your kid Chuck if you live in that part of the country though. :uhh:

waht said:
Happy Thanksgiving to all. Have fun, and don't eat too much.

What sort of Thanksgiving greeting is that?! Of course we're all supposed to eat too much! That's the whole point of the day, isn't it?

Santa is already in the malls. A local cartoonist suggested that we call the entire season Thankxmas.:smile:

Have a wonderful day everyone.

We had snow yesterday and today is supposed to be the coldest Thanksgiving here in 12 years. At least the snow isn't melting. Brrrrrrrrrrr. Of course I have to get to the grocery store before it closes, seems all of the stores are closing at noon.

It's still fairly warm here (too warm for November...it was 65 yesterday, I didn't even need a jacket), but rainy and windy, and that's bringing in the cold front that's going to provide tomorrow's snow.

Did my morning rounds at the farm (and am thankful that we have broken tradition of not having a sheep so ill it needs to be euthanized on Thanksgiving morning...the one that was very ill this week and I was worried about is getting better...enough that she's fighting me while I feed her kaopectate so I wear more of it than she's eating...I do not know why every year one sheep HAS to get sick with some weird illness the week of Thanksgiving). Then came home, showered and went back to sleep. Now I'm watching the dog show.

Later I'll go to dinner with my friend who has asked the sugar-phobe to make dessert, so I'm currently baking some pumpkin cookies as back-up (you can never have too much dessert).

So, what's up with these stores that are advertising sales that start at 4 AM tomorrow?! :bugeye: Who can wake up to be at a store at 4 AM the day after Thanksgiving? If someone is actually able to get out of bed that early to be at the stores by 4 AM, they DID NOT EAT ENOUGH TURKEY!

Four AM? It just gets crazier every year. I do not dare shop the day after Thanksgiving. It was rather nice at the store this morning, roads were pretty empty and so was the store. That's the last time shopping will be pleasant until after Christmas. I've started buying gifts online.

I"ve done almost all Xmas shopping online for at least five years now [maybe more like ten?]. And this year it gets even better because the kids all want gift certificates. YAY!

Moonbear said:
What sort of Thanksgiving greeting is that?! Of course we're all supposed to eat too much! That's the whole point of the day, isn't it?
Been there and done that already. We brined our turkey and roasted it using Alton Brown's method from his "Romancing the Bird" episode and it came out really well, with moist, juicy breast meat. My father shocked me by saying that he liked it better than my hickory-smoked birds that he praises to everyone who will listen. Heretic! We're going to miss the smoky flavor in the upcoming turkey soup, but the meat is very good. Some fats and juices leaked out of the bird during cooking (on a raised rack in a dry pan) and scorched a bit, but it turned into wonderful dark gravy.

I had just asked about this in the food thread.

Glad it turned out well. I had good luck with it also, but I've been doing smoked turkeys for the last few years.

Stupid Thanksgiving decorations! :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I had just asked about this in the food thread.

Glad it turned out well. I had good luck with it also, but I've been doing smoked turkeys for the last few years.
Yes, like my reply in the food thread, I plan on brining our next turkey AND hickory-smoking it breast-down in my charcoal-fired Brinkman smoker. I keep a pan of water under the rack to protect the bird from the direct heat of the charcoal, and to provide a good mix of steam and smoke under the domed lid. Those birds come out of there the color of dark chocolate, and the penetrating smoke gives the meat a rich red hue, at least in the outer 1/2" or so. Mmmm. Since I started smoking them breast-down, the white meat stays a lot moister - basted by fats and juices from the dark meat.

Last edited:
BobG said:
Stupid Thanksgiving decorations! :grumpy:

Cute video, Bob!

<h2>1. What is the history behind Thanksgiving?</h2><p>Thanksgiving is a national holiday celebrated in the United States and Canada to give thanks for a bountiful harvest. It originated from the Pilgrims who came to America in the 1600s and celebrated a successful harvest with a feast. It has since evolved into a holiday where families gather to share a meal and express gratitude.</p><h2>2. Why is Thanksgiving celebrated on a specific date?</h2><p>Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States and on the second Monday of October in Canada. This date was chosen by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863, and it was made an official holiday by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1941.</p><h2>3. What are some traditional Thanksgiving foods?</h2><p>Some traditional Thanksgiving foods include roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. However, the specific dishes may vary depending on family traditions and regional customs.</p><h2>4. How do people celebrate Thanksgiving?</h2><p>People celebrate Thanksgiving by gathering with family and friends, sharing a meal, and expressing gratitude for the blessings in their lives. Some also participate in parades, watch football games, or volunteer at local charities.</p><h2>5. What is the significance of the Thanksgiving turkey?</h2><p>The Thanksgiving turkey has become a symbol of the holiday and is often the main dish at Thanksgiving meals. It is said that the Pilgrims and Native Americans shared a turkey at the first Thanksgiving feast, and it has remained a traditional food for the holiday ever since.</p>

1. What is the history behind Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is a national holiday celebrated in the United States and Canada to give thanks for a bountiful harvest. It originated from the Pilgrims who came to America in the 1600s and celebrated a successful harvest with a feast. It has since evolved into a holiday where families gather to share a meal and express gratitude.

2. Why is Thanksgiving celebrated on a specific date?

Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States and on the second Monday of October in Canada. This date was chosen by President Abraham Lincoln in 1863, and it was made an official holiday by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1941.

3. What are some traditional Thanksgiving foods?

Some traditional Thanksgiving foods include roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. However, the specific dishes may vary depending on family traditions and regional customs.

4. How do people celebrate Thanksgiving?

People celebrate Thanksgiving by gathering with family and friends, sharing a meal, and expressing gratitude for the blessings in their lives. Some also participate in parades, watch football games, or volunteer at local charities.

5. What is the significance of the Thanksgiving turkey?

The Thanksgiving turkey has become a symbol of the holiday and is often the main dish at Thanksgiving meals. It is said that the Pilgrims and Native Americans shared a turkey at the first Thanksgiving feast, and it has remained a traditional food for the holiday ever since.