Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Happy Thanksgiving!

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I won't be celebrating it, but I know that you will :biggrin:
    I heard that president Obama pardoned a turkey, so does that mean that someone is not having turkey tonight?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Monique!

It's a tradition every year that the president pardons a turkey. Then the turkey gets sent to Disney Land. Obama couldn't seem to help himself from the jokes about sending a turkey to Disney Land. :biggrin: Since you're vegetarian, we thought you wouldn't mind if it was your turkey we pardoned. :wink:

4. Nov 26, 2009 #3
    No way. The bird gets sent to Disney World in Florida. Eventually it's passed down to Fred. At least this is how it came down last year. Fred pushess the buttons on Mr Tod's Wild Ride. He has a big family to feed.

5. Nov 26, 2009 #4
    I second the Thanksgiving wishes to my American friends and associates.

How many of you spend today with extended family/have travelled to be somewhere/now have a four-day weekend?

6. Nov 26, 2009 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving. My daughter and I will be going to my parents today for a wonderful turkey dinner. My mother is 84 and can't see too well anymore but she continues to carry on the tradition.

7. Nov 26, 2009 #6
    I hope everyone enjoys a peaceful day of feasting! Happy Thanksgiving.

8. Nov 26, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. My wife and I are celebrating at home with Duke. We are going to roast a chicken for ourselves, and we are roasting a turkey to feed my father and my friend who is caring for his elderly mother with dementia. Tomorrow, I'll be delivering turkey meat, turkey soups and turkey pies. I made brine last night to soak the birds in - salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger. Mmmm!

9. Nov 26, 2009 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So turbo. Doesn't Duke get anything special? I know he'll get lots of love but he should get a special treat also.
    http://www.waycooldogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Thanksgiving-dog-cat.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Nov 26, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

After[/URL] months in solitary at the Humane Society, he has a pretty delicate stomach. He does well on Iams lamb and rice and some dry treats, but when I got a venison heart and liver in exchange for gutting a neighbor's deer for him, and we gave him a tiny piece of each, he got sick to his stomach. He gets praise, lots of love, exercise, etc, but no more table scraps.

I have even been weaning him off treats by substituting something that he enjoys even more - rough play and tug-of-war with his his big Pup-Treads rubber bone. That's about the only toy that can survive the "jaws of death". We bought him a couple of extra-heavy tennis balls from Tractor supply. The first one survived about 30 seconds, so we gave the other one to his friend Max (shepherd/pit bull mix).

11. Nov 26, 2009 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Can't say I know precisely what it is all about, but Happy Whatever to Whoever. If you are happy I am happy too :wink:

The closest I can get to eating turkey today would be to go to KFC - at least it would be both American and bird.

12. Nov 26, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Thanksgiving is supposed to recreate feasts by our colonist fore-fathers that were given as an expression of "thank God we're still alive" or similar sentiments. When early settlers came to North America, they often had some unrealistic expectations of good climate, based on latitude. They were sadly mistaken, sometimes with disastrous results. Winters in this region (New England) are far more severe than in similar latitudes in Europe, so the colonists had to be very industrious, resourceful, and lucky to survive.

13. Nov 26, 2009 #12
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

14. Nov 26, 2009 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm very thankful for my PF friends all over the world :smile:!

Went to the gym this morning...it was *packed*, even more than the first week of January (when everyone shows up with good intentions of keeping resolutions). Everyone knows of the Puritan work ethic....I didn't realize there was a Puritan workout ethic as well.

15. Nov 26, 2009 #14

Borek

Theory I know, but every such a holiday has its own flavor and connotations - these are alien to me.

16. Nov 26, 2009 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I figure there's no point in trying not to gain weight between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

17. Nov 26, 2009 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Yes. In the US, Thanksgiving can be a time for entire extended families to come together for maybe the only time in a year. The holiday is generally centered around the meal, though in some families recent "traditions" include watching Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV, watching football games, etc.

Here is Duke, currently celebrating with a bone.
    duke_bone.jpg

18. Nov 26, 2009 #17
    Happy Thanksgiving :)

I will be spending it with my mom and her boyfriend. He talks a lot but I guess I will just have to be thankful for a good meal :)

19. Nov 26, 2009 #18

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Very good answer turbo.
    So Borek, it would appear that our ancestors took pity on the Americans, and started the first "Feed the (New) World" charity. Interesting how America now supplies more food aide around the world than anyone else.

But more than anything else, I think it's now just a good excuse to eat like a pig, and not feel guilty about it.

20. Nov 26, 2009 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

That’s nice, Muslims will be celebrating Eid tomorrow too, how coincidence this is? Hehe

I wish everyone well :smile:..oh and a healthy life :biggrin:

21. Nov 26, 2009 #20

Borek

And that's the language I understand :tongue2:

Smacznego!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook