Happy Thanksgiving!

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
Eating roasted (brined) chicken right now. Whoever packed the bird stuck 4(!) hearts in the giblet bag along with the neck, liver, and gizzard. Mmmm! Thank you, chicken-packer!!

My friend dropped by this afternoon and picked up 1/2 of the turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash, home-made cranberry sauce, etc. He and his brother are the home-care tag-team for their mother, who has dementia. The local grange sent them over some food for today, but we wanted them to have a really nice home-cooked turkey dinner. We're boiling down the carcass right now, and will take them a pot of turkey soup tomorrow. My wife's mother has dementia, but luckily she has 5 sisters and a brother to share the responsibility of looking after her.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm celebrating a nice quiet thanksgiving relaxing at home and NOT fussing with any big gatherings. But, then I'm heading out early tomorrow to travel to my hometown for a reunion, so I need my rest today to survive two nights of socializing with former classmates. Tomorrow night is bar hopping (I'm hoping some of the folks who aren't attending the reunion, but who still live in the area will join us for that) and then Saturday night is the actual reunion. Then driving back Sunday. So, yeah, I didn't need to add on top of that the chaos of putting up with a day of relatives.

I got some turkey thighs (the drumsticks were already all sold out when I was at the grocery store the other day...but turns out the thighs cooked up nicer anyway), made a little batch of stuffing, baked potatoes, cooked up some green beans, and got out a can of cranberry jelly (definitely not worth the effort of homemade when cooking for one). Yummy. Made it as a late lunch, and now have just enough leftovers for a late-night snack, and then a couple turkey sandwiches to pack for the drive tomorrow so I don't have to risk getting anywhere near malls or anything to stop for meals. Perfect. :approve:

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I had turkey, dressing, cheese potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, bread, and ice tea. I was too full for the pumpkin pie.

I'm very thankful for still having parents alive and a mother who can still cook like this.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since you're vegetarian, we thought you wouldn't mind if it was your turkey we pardoned. :wink:
Alright, I promise to not eat turkey tonight. I'm grateful that your president pardoned a turkey especially for me :biggrin:
Instead I had some wonderful chinese take-out with lots of garlic :!!)

ummm I ate tooooo much, maybe it was the second piece of pumpkin cheesecake?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ummm I ate tooooo much, maybe it was the second piece of pumpkin cheesecake?
No way! There's always room for dessert. It must've been something else that filled you up. :biggrin:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
pumpkin cheesecake?
Pumpkin cheesecake? Do you have a recipe for that?

The great debate: Is cranberry sauce delicious or not? I love it, but my mom and boyfriend think it's gross (and it's very rare for my boyfriend to dislike a food!)

Evo
Mentor
The great debate: Is cranberry sauce delicious or not? I love it, but my mom and boyfriend think it's gross (and it's very rare for my boyfriend to dislike a food!)
I absolutely love Ocean Spray canned jellied cranberry sauce. Sliced thin and sucked in through your front teeth is the only proper way to enjoy this delicacy. Also placing a slice over your front teeth and smiling is just awesome. :biggrin: I think playing with the cranberry sauce is one of my daughter's favorite Thanksgiving memories.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely babies.

My girlfriend's sister-in-law has a roomer who cooked up a fantastic many-course seafood Thanksgiving meal for the family!

Crab cakes

Salmon with mango sauce

Spicy shrimp

Brunswick (oyster) stew

Lobster Imperial

Etc.

Thank God for the riches of friendship

Happy Thanksgiving :smile:

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Right now, we're sitting around with bellies full, listening to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant." I'ts cold and rainy out, nice and warm inside though.

"Keeid, I want you to go over there and sit on the bench marked 'Group W'. NOW, Keeid!"

Classic.

Thank you Monique. And congrats on the new family additions OmCheeto!

Unfortunately tonight I am working and I have no thanksgiving stuffs. I even missed out on getting something proper for dinner since everything closed just before I arrived in the area for my shift tonight. I'll be searching for an all night fast food drive through later on. At least it should be quiet. And my family is having dinner on Sat. But tonight is work and fastfood.

I love cranberry sauce. One of my more recent discoveries is the thanksgiving day left overs omelet with cranberry sauce inside. Its also great on turkey sandwiches.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Thank you Monique. And congrats on the new family additions OmCheeto!

Unfortunately tonight I am working and I have no thanksgiving stuffs. I even missed out on getting something proper for dinner since everything closed just before I arrived in the area for my shift tonight. I'll be searching for an all night fast food drive through later on. At least it should be quiet. And my family is having dinner on Sat. But tonight is work and fastfood.
Sorry to hear you have to work. But here, Loren Booda's meal reminded me of a movie Fuzzyfelt once made me watch. Just turn up the volume and have a virtual thanksgiving dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMrUMLCeOnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMrUMLCeOnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thank you Omcheeto. :-)

I should look for that movie so I can know what it is all about.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I actually think it depends on the way someone makes the cranberry sauce (if it's homemade). I've had some really awful ones with weird stuff in it like chopped orange rind that just made the cranberries more bitter, and didn't have enough sugar to compensate, or where they made it with jell-o, which was just odd. I don't like other things in with my cranberries, I just want cranberries with lots of sugar to sweeten them (or even better, Ocean Spray out of a can...just like Evo likes, which is what I'm eating right now).

I think the bigger debate is...does the cranberry sauce go on the turkey sandwich, or is it served as a side? For the first time ever, I put it on my sandwich (I'm having my slightly past-midnight snack now) because I discovered I'm low on mayonnaise and needed something more to moisten the sandwich. Pretty tasty. I've always been a sauce on the side person before.

I have just enough leftovers now to make a couple of sandwiches to take with me tomorrow for lunch and dinner so I don't have to stop anywhere for lunch, and once I arrive, I can just relax in the hotel room for a couple hours (hopefully a couple hours...if I don't hit horrendous traffic) before heading out to the bars with old friends rather than have to go out for dinner after a long drive.

I think the bigger debate is...does the cranberry sauce go on the turkey sandwich, or is it served as a side? For the first time ever, I put it on my sandwich (I'm having my slightly past-midnight snack now) because I discovered I'm low on mayonnaise and needed something more to moisten the sandwich. Pretty tasty. I've always been a sauce on the side person before.
You should try the left overs omelet! Quite tasty. :-)

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You should try the left overs omelet! Quite tasty. :-)
That'll have to wait until next year. Since I'll be running around tomorrow getting the car loaded and me out the door (it would be easier if I didn't have a big deadline on Monday that I have to take work with me), I'm only going to have time for sandwiches, not cooking up omelets.

Last summer I had what I believe was a UTI - fortunately, the local grocery store had a sale on 27% cranberry juice. After seven or eight quarts over a few days, the condition mitigated. Anyhow, 27% seems to be a preferred concentration for cranberry/sugar water, if that translates to food.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
http://www.fun-with-words.com/neologisms_0203.html". I won this Washington Post contest with but a pun in bad taste.
Ha ha! You've got some good competition there. I like games, but I'm as creative as a rock, and literate as a stone. I could never play such a game.
In brief, it seems to me that the General was something of a food Nazi, needing a lesson in manners or just plain pompous!
Are you talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babette%27s_Feast" [Broken]? If you read the wiki entry, which explains the entire story, the General turns out to be none of the above.

Ha! Look what someone wrote about it at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/babettes_feast/" [Broken]:

Still the gold standard of food movies.

A semi food related movie you may like The Last Supper Omcheeto, if you have not already seen it.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
A semi food related movie you may like The Last Supper Omcheeto, if you have not already seen it.
Plot:
A group of idealistic, but frustrated, liberals succumb to the temptation of murdering rightwing pundits for their political beliefs
:bugeye:

I don't think so, Mr. Deckard. That's not my kind of movie.