Happy Thanksgiving: Obama Pardons a Turkey?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: I'll just eat whatever I want for dinner.In summary, the president pardoned a turkey, so does that mean that someone is not having turkey tonight? Thanks Monique!
Lovely babies.

My girlfriend's sister-in-law has a roomer who cooked up a fantastic many-course seafood Thanksgiving meal for the family!

Crab cakes

Salmon with mango sauce

Spicy shrimp

Brunswick (oyster) stew

Lobster Imperial

Etc.

Thank God for the riches of friendship

Physics news on Phys.org
Happy Thanksgiving :smile:

OmCheeto said:
Thanks Lisa!

Their grandfather just sent out the first set of pictures.

Thanksgiving Twins:

thanksgiving_twins_2009_11_26.jpg

Btw, where are thehttps://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=354733" thanksgiving pictures?

I think the PF sisterhood snorgle-squad is falling down on the job. :wink:

Aaaaawww, they are so precious! Beautiful baby! Beautiful baby!

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, we're sitting around with bellies full, listening to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant." I'ts cold and rainy out, nice and warm inside though.

"Keeid, I want you to go over there and sit on the bench marked 'Group W'. NOW, Keeid!"

Classic.

Thank you Monique. And congrats on the new family additions OmCheeto!

Unfortunately tonight I am working and I have no thanksgiving stuffs. I even missed out on getting something proper for dinner since everything closed just before I arrived in the area for my shift tonight. I'll be searching for an all night fast food drive through later on. At least it should be quiet. And my family is having dinner on Sat. But tonight is work and fastfood.

mollymae said:
The great debate: Is cranberry sauce delicious or not? I love it, but my mom and boyfriend think it's gross (and it's very rare for my boyfriend to dislike a food!)

I love cranberry sauce. One of my more recent discoveries is the thanksgiving day left overs omelet with cranberry sauce inside. Its also great on turkey sandwiches.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Thank you Monique. And congrats on the new family additions OmCheeto!

Unfortunately tonight I am working and I have no thanksgiving stuffs. I even missed out on getting something proper for dinner since everything closed just before I arrived in the area for my shift tonight. I'll be searching for an all night fast food drive through later on. At least it should be quiet. And my family is having dinner on Sat. But tonight is work and fastfood.

Sorry to hear you have to work. But here, Loren Booda's meal reminded me of a movie Fuzzyfelt once made me watch. Just turn up the volume and have a virtual thanksgiving dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMrUMLCeOnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMrUMLCeOnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thank you Omcheeto. :-)

I should look for that movie so I can know what it is all about.

mollymae said:
The great debate: Is cranberry sauce delicious or not? I love it, but my mom and boyfriend think it's gross (and it's very rare for my boyfriend to dislike a food!)

I actually think it depends on the way someone makes the cranberry sauce (if it's homemade). I've had some really awful ones with weird stuff in it like chopped orange rind that just made the cranberries more bitter, and didn't have enough sugar to compensate, or where they made it with jell-o, which was just odd. I don't like other things in with my cranberries, I just want cranberries with lots of sugar to sweeten them (or even better, Ocean Spray out of a can...just like Evo likes, which is what I'm eating right now).

I think the bigger debate is...does the cranberry sauce go on the turkey sandwich, or is it served as a side? For the first time ever, I put it on my sandwich (I'm having my slightly past-midnight snack now) because I discovered I'm low on mayonnaise and needed something more to moisten the sandwich. Pretty tasty. I've always been a sauce on the side person before.

I have just enough leftovers now to make a couple of sandwiches to take with me tomorrow for lunch and dinner so I don't have to stop anywhere for lunch, and once I arrive, I can just relax in the hotel room for a couple hours (hopefully a couple hours...if I don't hit horrendous traffic) before heading out to the bars with old friends rather than have to go out for dinner after a long drive.

Moonbear said:
I think the bigger debate is...does the cranberry sauce go on the turkey sandwich, or is it served as a side? For the first time ever, I put it on my sandwich (I'm having my slightly past-midnight snack now) because I discovered I'm low on mayonnaise and needed something more to moisten the sandwich. Pretty tasty. I've always been a sauce on the side person before.

You should try the left overs omelet! Quite tasty. :-)

TheStatutoryApe said:
You should try the left overs omelet! Quite tasty. :-)

That'll have to wait until next year. Since I'll be running around tomorrow getting the car loaded and me out the door (it would be easier if I didn't have a big deadline on Monday that I have to take work with me), I'm only going to have time for sandwiches, not cooking up omelets.

Last summer I had what I believe was a UTI - fortunately, the local grocery store had a sale on 27% cranberry juice. After seven or eight quarts over a few days, the condition mitigated. Anyhow, 27% seems to be a preferred concentration for cranberry/sugar water, if that translates to food.

Loren Booda said:
http://www.fun-with-words.com/neologisms_0203.html". I won this Washington Post contest with but a pun in bad taste.
Ha ha! You've got some good competition there. I like games, but I'm as creative as a rock, and literate as a stone. I could never play such a game.
In brief, it seems to me that the General was something of a food Nazi, needing a lesson in manners or just plain pompous!

Are you talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babette%27s_Feast" ? If you read the wiki entry, which explains the entire story, the General turns out to be none of the above.

Ha! Look what someone wrote about it at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/babettes_feast/" :

Still the gold standard of food movies.

A semi food related movie you may like The Last Supper Omcheeto, if you have not already seen it.

TheStatutoryApe said:
A semi food related movie you may like The Last Supper Omcheeto, if you have not already seen it.
Plot:
A group of idealistic, but frustrated, liberals succumb to the temptation of murdering rightwing pundits for their political beliefs
:bugeye:

I don't think so, Mr. Deckard. That's not my kind of movie.

OmCheeto said:
Ha ha! You've got some good competition there. I like games, but I'm as creative as a rock, and literate as a stone. I could never play such a game.

Are you talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babette%27s_Feast" ? If you read the wiki entry, which explains the entire story, the General turns out to be none of the above.

Ha! Look what someone wrote about it at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/babettes_feast/" :

I had at least guessed what Babette's previous occupation was.

Good night everyone. May your turkey send you all on a tryp to phantastic places in your dreams.

(How's that Loren? Bad enough to get me into last place?)

OmCheeto said:

I don't think so, Mr. Deckard. That's not my kind of movie.

Lol, ok. It is a bit dark. I just thought, considering your ideas regarding CEOs and their bonuses you've mentioned before, that you might find the plot line interesting.

And good night and sweet tryptophan dreams to you too.

Moonbear said:
<GASP> Et tu Moonbear? I don't think I will ever be able to eat sweetened fruit with meat.

Evo said:
<GASP> Et tu Moonbear? I don't think I will ever be able to eat sweetened fruit with meat.
It should be too sweet.

My mom made a mint jelly specfically for lamb or mutton. It was tart.

I eat tart cranberry sauce with turkey, but the sauce is not like a sugary jam or jelly, but rather boiled cranberries with minimal sugar.

I also like duck with raspberry or moose or elk or other dark game meat with a cloudberry or blackberry sauce - but the sauce must not be sugary sweet.

Even with sweet and sour pork, the sauce should not be sickly sweet.

How about duck a l'orange? - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Duck-a-lOrange-233535

But then I tend to eat strongly tasting foods like Brussel sprout or chard or spinach - the stronger the better. And I like stinky cheeses - the stronger the better.

I've had duck a la cerise, which was a tart sauce. Funny how names like duck a l'orange starts out English and ends French. :biggrin:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Lol, ok. It is a bit dark. I just thought, considering your ideas regarding CEOs and their bonuses you've mentioned before, that you might find the plot line interesting.

And good night and sweet tryptophan dreams to you too.

My, that was a good thread. But I notice that I never said I would pick up a pitchfork. I probably have the same aversion to mobs that you do. I grew up watching http://scholar.library.miami.edu/sixties/urbanRiots.php" .

The five day Watts riot in August, 1965 saw 34 people die and a thousand injured;
I'd have been 6, and mommy probably didn't let me watch that.
and the 1966 Detroit riot, 43 deaths.
Following Martin Luther King's assassination in 1968, rioting broke out in over 120 cities including Chicago and Washington.
I'm pretty sure I watched this unfold as a 9 year old. I of course could not understand what all the fuss was about.

But watching these scenes gave me a grim view of mobs that stays with me to this day.

I think the AIG mob, or pseudo-mob, was more symbolic. And that's why I supported them from the comfort of my couch.

Googling "AIG mob" today, yields pretty much only Colbert inspired jokes about the incident.

Yes, we've come a long way baby, but the inequalities of the early sixties need to be remembered, lest we through acquiescence, yield everything to the rich, and simply do it all over again.

I would prefer that my new grandnieces see riot's in black and white in history class, rather than see them live on the 5 o'clock news.

Happy Black Friday Everyone!

My thanksgiving sucked. Too many carbs --> diabetic reaction --> very bad evening.

I tried to be good, but it doesn't take much of holiday foods. The days of eating huge meals are long gone. Too bad cause I LOVE a mountain of mashed taters with tons of gravy.

I esp love yams with marshmallows. Mmmmmm.

Ivan Seeking said:
I esp love yams with marshmallows. Mmmmmm.
Ack! Bad juju! The same crazy aunt that used to make that for Thanksgiving also made the green-bean casserole. It's a wonder her kids survived her "cooking".

My wife and I spent yesterday and today making Thanksgiving a little nicer for a couple of house-holds. We made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, squash, peas with pearl onions, and tart cranberry sauce, and delivered dinner to an old friend of mine who is pretty much house-bound because his mother has dementia, and my father picked up his meal on the way home from visiting my brother and his family. This morning, my wife made turkey soup and I delivered that to my friend and to my father for their lunches. My father and my friend are both widowers and can't cook to save their souls, so they were very happy.

My wife gets a free turkey from her employer every Thanksgiving, but I can't eat it because the birds are injected with broth loaded with glutamates. Instead, we get ourselves a nice unadulterated roasting chicken or a locally-raised turkey for our meal, and we prepare the turkey and give it to others. For a while years back, we always donated the turkey to the local food pantry, but we've settled on this way to deal with the free bird.

We made a nice soup out of the carcass and meat of our roasting-chicken today, and made some great little baked roll-ups of shredded chicken, black beans, garlic, onion, cilantro, and spices wrapped in egg-washed won-ton wrappers. What a great finger-food snack when dipped in habanero salsa. My wife is away for her weekly shift caring for her mother who has dementia. She's got it pretty easy compared to my friend, since she has 6 siblings to share the load, and my friend has one brother to swap off with, night and day.

turbo-1 said:
Ack! Bad juju! The same crazy aunt that used to make that for Thanksgiving also made the green-bean casserole. It's a wonder her kids survived her "cooking".

Alright, I understand the green-bean casserole comment, but what is wrong with yams and marshmallows? That is a tradition!

Jeez, at this point I have to wonder if you are even an American. :biggrin:

A favorite piece of trivia: Marshmallows were once made from mallow from marshes. I had thought they were always made from sugar.

Ivan Seeking said:
Jeez, at this point I have to wonder if you are even an American. :biggrin:
Heinz 57! A mix of French-Canadian, (north American) Indian and Irish with a bit of German. Yams and marshmallows don't show up in any of those traditional cuisines. At our Thanksgiving tables, you could count on finding fiddleheads, mincemeat pie made of venison, pies made from apples and wild berries, rum cakes, tourtiere (ground meat and potato pies), head cheese, blood sausage, etc, in addition to the turkey, stuffing, gravy, and traditional vegetables. If you tried to have a decent-sized helping of every dish, you'd die, so it was nice in a way to have an aunt or two that "cooked" crap. It's pretty easy to overlook jello salad and any recipe that came off a bag or a can. A couple of aunts used to make pumpkin pie with canned filling in a store-bought pie shell, so it was a good idea to pay attention, so you'd get a slice of pie made with real fresh pumpkin and a flaky pastry crust. We always had tall, flaky pastry biscuits, too, to make strawberry shortcake with.

Marshmallows should only be served in s'mores and hot cocoa, never on a vegetable.

And, yeah, sorry Evo. I didn't really expect the cranberry sauce to work on the turkey sandwich and figured I'd just manage to eat it (I'd rather have a strange tasting sandwich than a dry one), but was surprised at how well it all worked together. Though, I did really start thinking I'd really lost it when I put the stuffing on the sandwich...bread on bread...hmm.

I ate a half sandwich on my drive, and a whole sandwich for dinner tonight, and still have one and a half sandwiches left. Since I'm heading out to party in about an hour, I'm sure at least some of that will come in handy tonight after I'm done drinking. I think I'll save whatever is left for tomorrow night in case whatever food is served at the reunion is skimpy or not very good.

Moonbear said:
Marshmallows should only be served in s'mores and hot cocoa, never on a vegetable.

And, yeah, sorry Evo. I didn't really expect the cranberry sauce to work on the turkey sandwich and figured I'd just manage to eat it (I'd rather have a strange tasting sandwich than a dry one), but was surprised at how well it all worked together. Though, I did really start thinking I'd really lost it when I put the stuffing on the sandwich...bread on bread...hmm.

I ate a half sandwich on my drive, and a whole sandwich for dinner tonight, and still have one and a half sandwiches left. Since I'm heading out to party in about an hour, I'm sure at least some of that will come in handy tonight after I'm done drinking. I think I'll save whatever is left for tomorrow night in case whatever food is served at the reunion is skimpy or not very good.
Stuffing and home-made cranberry sauce are wonderful on a turkey sandwich. I use rye bread and Cain's real mayonnaise to build the sandwich, and the cranberry and stuffing are "icing on the cake".

He should have pardoned the turkey that we had. I like the dark meat, but it was dried out so I had to eat white. We set out at 4:00 pm from Princeton, NJ for Boston, MA. The traffic wasn't bad so we arrived at 10:00. The next morning we took in a few sights of downtown Boston and then headed for my cousin's house for visiting family, and then to his granddaughter's house for dinner. Friday morning we visited a cousin of mine who went to a different dinner and then we headed back home. We stopped along the way in Connecticut to visit another cousin, but she forgot we were coming and took a nap. So she didn't answer the phone or the doorbell. We stopped at Mitsuwa along the way for Ramen noodle soup and grocery shopping. Black Friday doesn't mean much for groceries, but technically we did shop. We finally made it back home at 11:00pm. How exhausting. I hope your holiday was as nice as ours, and not so exhausting.

turbo-1 said:
Heinz 57! A mix of French-Canadian, (north American) Indian and Irish with a bit of German. Yams and marshmallows don't show up in any of those traditional cuisines.

After all of these years you would think I could remember that I love candied sweet potatoes, not yams.

I was wondering about this and checked. It seems that candied sweet potatoes find their origins in the American black slave community.

Thanksgiving thrives as a beloved national feast celebrated by Americans of all ethnic origins and religions. It has expanded with the country beyond the traditional foods like turkey and corn and pumpkins that remind us of the Pilgrims' feast and the generosity of the American Indians. On many African-American tables, next to the dressed bird, this year [1853] there was a sweet potato dish, be it a casserole, a pone, a pie or the classic candied sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows.
http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/columnists_blogs/other_views/story/213451.html

The marshmallow plant also finds its roots in Africa.

Being primarily German and Finnish, my family settled in the midwest US. I have no idea how a traditional African American dish found its way into our family traditions.

Ivan Seeking said:
Being primarily German and Finnish, my family settled in the midwest US. I have no idea how a traditional African American dish found its way into our family traditions.

Because when it's good, there ain't no good reason not to eat it.

My mother somehow learned to eat corn on the cob whilst here in America. She used to claim that they didn't know what to do with it back in Germany, so they fed it to the pigs.

Schweine fressen!

Gads I'm thankful I grew up in America.

Speaking of pigs, I think I've become anatomically attached to my couch over the last 48 hours.

hmmm... what does google give me when I search for that?

http://www.google.com/search?q=anatomically+attached+to+the+couch"
STUART, Fla. -- A 480-pound Martin County woman has died after emergency workers tried to remove her from the couch where she had remained for about six years.

I'll be back later.

I have to cut some ties and go rake some leaves.

:blushing:

Good to hear my friends enjoying their Thanksgiving Holiday !

Monique said:
Pumpkin cheesecake? Do you have a recipe for that?

On the weekend after Thanksgiving, I was served a pumpkin cheesecake made using this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-cheesecake-recipe/index.html" , at a music jam. I must admit it was very tastey. There were some complex flavours going on, from all the fresh spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla). For variation I propably would add some grated coconut and pecans. :tongue2: This cheesecake is light (didn't leave a heavy sensation in my stomach).

Astronuc said:
I eat tart cranberry sauce with turkey, but the sauce is not like a sugary jam or jelly, but rather boiled cranberries with minimal sugar.

When it comes to food, we know everyone has their preference. I like homemade http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Basic-Cranberry-Sauce-236532" . Never touch the kind from a tin. :yuck: The recipes that call for orange rind are going for the zest (citrus oil). Just grate the first 3 mm of the skin. I substitute honey for sweetener and add pumpkin pie spices too (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, & ginger). This year I was served some cranberry sauce with dried apricots added to the mix. Yummm..