Are We Ready for the New Definition of the Kilogram?

• News
  • Thread starter gleem
  • Start date
In summary, today marks the implementation of the new definition of the Kilogram, which is based on the Kibble balance and Plank's constant. To celebrate, the speakers suggest measuring something and engaging in physical activities such as walking and swimming. They also mention the potential impact on the job of the official kilogram cleaner at the BIPM in Paris.
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Today is the day the new definition of the Kilogram based on the Kibble balance (aka Watt balance) and Plank's constant takes affect.

Likes diogenesNY
Physics news on Phys.org
gleem, you beat me to the punch!

Let's all celebrate by going out an measuring something!

diogenesNY

I celebrated by going for a long walk this morning to try to shed one of my spare kilograms. :woot:

I suppose this means that the official kilogram cleaner at the BIPM in Paris is now out of a job. :cry:

Likes davenn and Wrichik Basu
jtbell said:
I celebrated by going for a long walk this morning to try to shed one of my spare kilograms. :woot:

I suppose this means that the official kilogram cleaner at the BIPM in Paris is now out of a job. :cry:
I swam laps for a long time (3x15 minute intervals) with intervening soaks in a hot spa.

Contemplated measurement and data collection while watching the warm water mix with the deeper cold.

1. What is World Metrology Day?

World Metrology Day is an annual celebration that takes place on May 20th to commemorate the signing of the Metre Convention in 1875, which established the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) and set the framework for global collaboration in metrology.

2. Why is World Metrology Day important?

World Metrology Day is important because it raises awareness about the role of metrology in our daily lives and the impact it has on global trade, innovation, and environmental protection. It also promotes the importance of accurate and reliable measurements in science, technology, and industry.

3. What is the theme for this year's World Metrology Day?

The theme for this year's World Metrology Day is "Measurements for Health" which highlights the critical role of metrology in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of medical measurements, such as those used in diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of diseases.

4. How can I participate in World Metrology Day?

There are many ways to participate in World Metrology Day, such as attending events and exhibitions, organizing educational activities, or simply spreading the word about the importance of metrology. You can also follow the official social media accounts and use the hashtags #WorldMetrologyDay and #MeasurementsForHealth to join the conversation.

5. What is the significance of the date May 20th for World Metrology Day?

May 20th was chosen as the date for World Metrology Day because it marks the day when the Metre Convention was signed in 1875. This international treaty established a unified system of measurement and paved the way for global cooperation in metrology.