Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harassment with wave emitter

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    Hi,

My downstairs neighbors have access to an electronic device that is able to transmit waves to my bed and sofa, resulting in vibrations on it when I sleep or sit down sometimes.

Is there a method by which I can document the occurrence of the vibrations?

Thanks,

Victor M.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Victor M., Welcome to Physics Forums!

So you can feel those vibrations in your bed and also on the sofa. To document vibrations folks here can help you, but it may not be easy or cheap, depending on what kind they are. Can you hear any sound at the same time? Set up a cup of water and watch or photograph the surface waves? Can you describe them in more detail? Why do you think your neighbors have access to an electronic device that causes these vibrations? Have you asked them about this?

Bobbywhy

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are these waves mechanical / sound or do you suspect EM waves?

5. Apr 1, 2013 #4
    if you have a phone with an accelerometer then you could probably write an app to record video and the readings of the accelerometer. The video would prove that you were not deliberately causing the vibrations.

6. Apr 1, 2013 #5
    Or maybe they're just playing music and are not intentionally harassing you...

If you really think they're doing this deliberately, how do they know where your bed and sofa are? And further, by what means do you propose they are creating these "waves"?

7. Apr 1, 2013 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, find out who needs the "documentation", to sort out the problem (law enforcement? public health officials? whoever...)

Then ask them what evidence they want. For example in the UK, if you have a complaint about noise from neighbors, the relevant authorities might install their own equipment in your house to monitor the situation, so they know they are getting evidence that they can use in court if that's where the complaint might end up.

8. Apr 2, 2013 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Victor. You still haven't said what form the waves take. Are they Radio Waves, Sound waves or just vibrations - due to a motor, fan, pump?

9. Apr 2, 2013 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Keep a diary. Show it to your doctor?

10. Apr 3, 2013 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Victor may have left the thread.

11. Apr 3, 2013 #10

rbj

maybe you need to make yourself an aluminum-foil helmet.

12. Apr 3, 2013 #11
    But they won't do any of it untill you have spoken to them and try to resolve the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook