1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard arc-length integral

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    Find the length of the curve
    y = x^2 − ln(x), 1 ≤ x ≤ 2.

I have have to find the arc-length of the given equation. I have checked my work several times and i ultimately come up with the integral of ((4x^4 -3x^2 +1)/(x^2))^(1/2), which I just cannot seem to solve. Any help would be appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello rhothi. Welcome to PF !

Please give details as to how you got that integral, so we can help you.

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    I used the formula for calculating arc length. The formula is ((1 + (f'(x))^(2))^(1/2) from a to b. As a result, I got f'(x) to be 2x - 1/x. When I squared the function i received ((4x^4 -4x^2 +1). From there I plugged f'(x)^2 into the equation to get the integral that I mentioned.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4
    ##\displaystyle \left(2x - \frac{1}{x}\right)^2## is not ##4x^4 -4x^2 +1##.

Note that ##(a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2##.

Try it again.

6. Feb 24, 2013 #5
    I meant that it is (4x^4−4x^2+1)/(x^2). After adding 1 underneath the radical I received ((4x^4 -3x^2 +1)/(x^2))^((1/2)).

7. Feb 24, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like you have a typo.

Are you saying that [itex]\displaystyle \ \ 1+\left(2x-\frac{1}{x}\right)^2=\frac{4x^4 -3x^2 +1}{x^2}\ ?[/itex]

That's correct.

The result for the integral, [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int\sqrt{\frac{4x^4 -3x^2 +1}{x^2}}\,dx\ \ [/itex] looks very messy.

You can solve for x as a function of y for x > 0 . That result doesn't look much more promising.

Off hand, I can't think of any parametrization which would give a nicer result.

8. Feb 24, 2013 #7
    Yes that is what I meant. How would I solve the equation in terms of y? I have no idea how to compute the integral in terms of x.

9. Feb 24, 2013 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is a parametrization which I thought looked promising, but not surprisingly, it gives a similarly messy result.

Let x = et, then y = (et) - ln(et) = e2t - t .

10. Feb 24, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you put the integral into Wolfram Alpha, it does give you an indefinite integral in terms of elementary functions. I didn't think it would. That probably means you could do it by completing a square, thinking of a clever substitution, maybe doing an integration by parts or two and voila. But the complexity of the answer makes it look like a really tough road for mere mortals. I'd guess if this was an exercise in computing arclength, you want to make it a lot easier than that. I'm going to guess there is probably a typo in the problem statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted