1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Boiled egg on a spring

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    a 50 g Hard Boiled egg moves on the end of a spring with force constant k=25N/m. Its intial displacement is .3m. A damping force F=-bv acts on the egg and the amplitude of the motion decreases to .1 m in 5 sec. Calculate the magnitue of the damping contant b.

How exactly do you go about doing this?
    I havent been able to get anywhere on it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    Start with the solution of the equation of motion for this system.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3
    so we have

x=Ae^-(b/2m)t cos(w't+phi)

where w'=(k/m -b^2/4m^2)^1/2

so heres the problem do you use the initial conditions to solve for b or the final positions, does it make a difference?

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4
    Before you can solve for b you have to apply the initial conditions to solve for A beforehand. Just assume phi is 0.

Once you have the value for A, solve for b using the other informations given (btw, dont assume that those are for the final position).

6. Jun 25, 2011 #5
    isnt A=.3 since thats the starting position
    i put it into a function solver and i got

does that seem right?

also i didnt use the .1 if i was suppose too

7. Jun 25, 2011 #6
    :smile: Lol...I advise you to analytically or numerically solve this problem as I doubt your teacher would accept your answer. I admit solving for b is a bit tedious but you already got A! Keep on working...

Also usually [itex]0\leq b\leq 1[/itex].

Hint: Work with the amplitude of oscillation component of your equation instead of working with the whole thing.

8. Jun 25, 2011 #7
    ok so ignoring the cos stuff i got

is this one right?

its in the interval

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook