Can you solve this challenging calc problem with positive variables?

• Thread starter ashrafmod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses the inequality of (1+1/a)(1+1/b)(1+1/c) >= 64, where a, b, and c are positive real numbers and a+b+c=1. The solution is given using the harmonic, arithmetic, and geometric averages, and it is proved that (1/a)(1/b)(1/c) >= 27. The conversation also touches on a humorous signature related to the topic.
ashrafmod
prove if a+b+c=1 ,a,b,c>0
so (1+1\a)(1+1\b)91+1\c)>=64

Physics news on Phys.org
(1+1\a)(1+1\b)(1+1\c) >= 64

Here's the solution

[tex] \frac{a+1}{a}\frac{b+1}{b}\frac{c+1}{c}= \frac{abc+ab+ac+bc+2}{abc} =\frac{2}{abc}+\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}+1 [/tex].

Now, for 3 arbitrary positive real numbers the harmonic average is smaller or equal to the arithmetic average

[tex] \frac{3}{\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c}} \leq \frac{a+b+c}{3}=\frac{1}{3} [/tex]

from which it follows that

[tex] \frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{c} \geq 9 [/tex]

For 3 arbitrary positive numbers, the geometric average is smaller or equal to the arithmetic average

[tex] \sqrt[3]{abc} \leq \frac{a+b+c}{3}=\frac{1}{3} [/tex]

from which it follows that

[tex] \frac{1}{abc} \geq 27 [/tex].

Now i think you easily get the wanted inequality.

Daniel.

Dexterciboy, your signature made me chuckle. It reminded me of a joke we have about one of the professors in our department, who's supposed motto we claim to be:

"Never let an experiment get in the way of a good theory!"

1. What is a "hard calc problem"?

A "hard calc problem" is a challenging mathematical problem that requires advanced knowledge of calculus to solve. These problems often involve complex equations and require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Why are calc problems considered difficult?

Calc problems are considered difficult because they involve higher-level mathematics and require a deep understanding of concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and limits. They may also involve multiple steps and require creative thinking to arrive at a solution.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving hard calc problems?

To improve your skills in solving hard calc problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus concepts and practice regularly. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to work on challenging problems together.

4. Are there any tips for approaching hard calc problems?

Some tips for approaching hard calc problems include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using multiple methods to solve, and checking your work to ensure accuracy. It is also helpful to review past problems and solutions to identify patterns and strategies.

5. How can I stay motivated while working on hard calc problems?

Working on challenging calc problems can be frustrating, but it is important to stay motivated. Setting small goals, taking breaks when needed, and seeking help when necessary can all help maintain motivation. Remember to celebrate your progress and achievements along the way.