1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard college geometry problem

1. Sep 8, 2004 #1
    I've been stuck on this problem for over 2 hrs. The problem is that I have an isosceles triangle with legs measuring sqrt(5) each and the base measuring 2. I have to find a way to dissect the isosceles triangle into 4 triangles so that the 4 triangles can be arranged into a square. So far I know that obviously the side of the square has to be sqrt(2) since area iso triangle=area square=side of square^2. I also know that the legs of the isoceles triangle must be cut some how because there is no way a length of sqrt(5) will fit into a square with dimensions of sqrt(2)xsqrt(2). Please any hints or help would be vastly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good one! Hmm...!
  4. Sep 8, 2004 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice problem. It is against our principles, but I must show the solution. I just can't help . :smile:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?