1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard complex reasoning help

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    hard complex reasoning help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    American advertising agency McKAnn decided to bungee jump a car off a bridge to show how well made the car was. They used a 30 m m rubber bungee cord used by the army to bungee tanks during air drops. it had nine individual cords each around 12cm in diameter. when released from the top of the bridge , 267m above the water , the 1857kg ute stretched the cord 6* its original length. Calculate the spring constant of the cord. (k)

2. Relevant equations
    F=-kx

forces and spring equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the area of the bungee to be .135717m^2, also i can calculate the GPE but that is as far as i have gotten- please help. the answer is 254 N M

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: hard complex reasoning help!!

How long is the cord? 30 m?

You might want to consider the change in potential energy from the falling car mg*h as being offset by the potential energy to stop the car at 6 times the length of the cord. How do you calculate the stored potential energy in a spring? The work required to stretch the spring? And work is what? Force over a distance? And for a spring that would be 1/2 k x2? And change in potential energy is also work? Hmmm... sound like a possibility?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. Sep 14, 2008 #3

Yah i will have ago at that now, would one of you mind doing the question step by step for me i have a tone of questions like this and am not really sure how to go about it.

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

Unfortunately, he cannot do any part of the question for you as per PF rules. Just tell us what you don't understand and we'll try to help you.

6. Sep 14, 2008 #5

Dont worry I figured it out from what he told me. thanks
    What a stupid rule not being able to show how the question is done.

7. Sep 14, 2008 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You see, you were given a hint and you did the question by yourself.

That's what this rule is for - to force lazy people to do their work with as little help as they need. As proven above, it works.

8. Sep 14, 2008 #7

yeah i suppose you do understand it more if you do it yourself. Thanks again

9. Sep 14, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That would be the idea then.

Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?