Hard definite integration by parts question,

In summary: It's not y divided by e^2y. The dy is not part of the denominator. It's a part of the differential, and it should be written after the whole integrand, not after just part of it.So your integral is ##\int y e^{-2y} dy##.In summary, the given conversation revolves around solving the integral of ye^-2y from 0 to 1 using integration by parts. The individual asking for help has made a mistake in their integration, as they have not correctly chosen their u and dv functions. The correct integral is ##\int y e^{-2y} dy##.
limelightdevo

Homework Statement

Integral, from 0 to 1, y/(e^2y)

Homework Equations

Use integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

I need integration by parts. The answer is 1/4-3/5e^-2. But I got 1/2 and it all makes sense to me, so tell me what I got wrong.

I put u=e^2y
du=2e^2y

dv= 1/e^2y dy (did u substitution on 2y here)
v=1/2 * ln(e^2y) (here I canceled ln and e, so left with 2y)
v=1/2 * 2y = y

Plugged them into integration by parts formula
and got y^2-(y^2)/2. Plugged in 1 and 0.
And I got 1-1/2 = 1/2. How is this wrong?? I don't understand.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your integration of dv is wrong.

limelightdevo said:

Homework Statement

Integral, from 0 to 1, from y/e^2y

Homework Equations

Use integration by parts

I need integration by parts. The answer is 1/4-3/5e^-2. But I got 1/2 and it all makes sense to me, so tell me what I got wrong.

I put u=e^2y
du=2e^2y

v=1/2 * 2y = y

What is it that you're trying to integrate? What you wrote is ambiguous.

[itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 \frac{y}{e^{2y}}\,dy\,,[/itex]

or

[itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 y\,e^{2y}\,dy\,,[/itex]

or something else?

limelightdevo said:

Homework Statement

Integral, from 0 to 1, from y/e^2y

Homework Equations

Use integration by parts

I put u=e^2y
du=2e^2y

v=1/2 * 2y = y

In addition to what 1MileCrash said, you aren't doing integration by parts correctly. If you integral is ##\int ye^{-2y}dy##
then you can't have u = e2y and dv = 1/(e2y)* dy.
Whatever you choose for u and dv, they have to multiply to make your original integrand. In your case u*dv = e2y/e2y * dy = 1 dy, not ye-2ydy.

So your choice of u and dv should be very clear. As for which one is u and which one is dv - weigh which one will result in a simpler function when differentiated, and try that for u.

It is y divided by e^2y dy

limelightdevo said:
It is y divided by e^2y dy
That's what I understood it to be.

You should write this not as a fraction, but as ye-2ydy.

What is hard definite integration by parts question?

Hard definite integration by parts question is a type of mathematical problem that involves using the integration by parts method to find the definite integral of a function. This method involves breaking down a complex function into simpler parts and integrating each part separately.

How do I solve a hard definite integration by parts question?

To solve a hard definite integration by parts question, you first need to identify which parts of the function you can integrate and which parts you can differentiate. Then, use the integration by parts formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u is the part you can differentiate and dv is the part you can integrate. Repeat this process until you can solve for the definite integral.

What are some tips for solving a hard definite integration by parts question?

Some tips for solving a hard definite integration by parts question include: carefully choosing which parts to differentiate and integrate, using substitution to simplify the function, and being careful with signs and constants. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with the integration by parts method.

Can I use a calculator for hard definite integration by parts questions?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help with the calculations, but it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving the problem. Using a calculator should only be used as a tool and not a substitute for understanding the material.

What are some common mistakes when solving hard definite integration by parts questions?

Some common mistakes when solving hard definite integration by parts questions include: forgetting to use the integration by parts formula, choosing the wrong parts to integrate and differentiate, making calculation errors, and forgetting to include the constant of integration. It is important to double check your work and be mindful of these potential mistakes.