Hard drive just got 11 reallocated sectors

In summary, according to HD Sentinel, the percent health is 88%. According to "Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population", my hard drive (14 months old) has a ~90% probability of making it through the next 8 months (after the first reallocation). If your OS tries to write something important to the bad sector, or if it has already written something there that it needs, it will definitely crash. Backup your data regularly.
Simfish
Gold Member
So my computer is just over 1 year old. I put it on sleep a lot rather than shutting it down (but I don't think this hurts the hard drive). Is there any reason for worry? According to HD Sentinel, the percent health is 88%. According to "Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population", my hard drive (14 months old) has a ~90% probability of making it through the next 8 months (after the first reallocation).

There is a concern though, after the 1st event, hard drives are 15 times more likely to fail in the next 60 days or so. I did get most of my items backed up but not all of them yet. But none of my two external HDs (one lacie, one western digital) have any SMART technology enabled on them so I can't check their progress at all.

Also, bad sectors are only discovered on bootup, right? What if you just left your PC on all the time? Would the computer suddenly crash upon coming across a bad sector or what?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Simfish said:
So my computer is just over 1 year old. I put it on sleep a lot rather than shutting it down (but I don't think this hurts the hard drive). Is there any reason for worry?

Not necessarily. It's more of a power save feature than anything else.

There is a concern though, after the 1st event, hard drives are 15 times more likely to fail in the next 60 days or so. I did get most of my items backed up but not all of them yet. But none of my two external HDs (one lacie, one western digital) have any SMART technology enabled on them so I can't check their progress at all.

Also, bad sectors are only discovered on bootup, right? What if you just left your PC on all the time? Would the computer suddenly crash upon coming across a bad sector or what?
Bad sectors can be discovered in POST, if you have SMART enabled in BIOS. Usually after 1 bad sector it won't be long until that spreads to affect other sectors on the platters. Most times it's a run away effect. Backup your data and start shopping for a replacement.

I always recommend having a 2nd storage drive connected to your machine whether internally or externally. Usually heat can lead to a head crash on a HDD, or cause the platters to become slightly warped. How's the airflow on your system?

Last edited:
spinrite is a nice program that helps repair bad sectors...

Simfish said:

If your OS tries to write something important to the bad sector, or if it has already written something there that it needs, it will definitely crash. Happened to me not that long ago. The computer will 'freeze up' and then you get the blue screen of death upon rebooting.

Back your data up regularly!

CS

Fixing all bad sectors

When I worked for roaminggear.,com, that one discount computer site we basically see that all the time. You just have to boot into a new command prompt windows in the laptop or whatever your working with. Thats CMD in the RUN menu. Type chkdsk /r and then type y for running on bootup. It takes a while so make sure you can live without it for a while. If its really bad than you never know.
levtechllc, used, new buy its all a matter of what's best for you. Check out deals somewhere and see.

1. What does it mean when a hard drive has 11 reallocated sectors?

When a hard drive has reallocated sectors, it means that the drive has identified 11 areas on its surface that are no longer functioning properly. These sectors are then moved to a reserved area of the drive, known as the "spare pool," to prevent data loss.

2. Is having 11 reallocated sectors on my hard drive a cause for concern?

Yes, having 11 reallocated sectors on a hard drive is a cause for concern. While a few reallocated sectors may not significantly impact performance or indicate imminent failure, a large number of reallocated sectors can be a sign of a failing hard drive.

3. What can cause a hard drive to have reallocated sectors?

There are a few potential causes for reallocated sectors on a hard drive. These include physical damage to the drive, aging of the drive, manufacturing defects, or exposure to extreme temperatures or magnetic fields.

4. Can I continue to use a hard drive with reallocated sectors?

In most cases, it is not recommended to continue using a hard drive with reallocated sectors. While the drive may still function, there is a higher risk of data loss and potential failure. It is best to backup important data and replace the drive.

5. How can I prevent reallocated sectors on my hard drive?

To prevent reallocated sectors, it is important to take good care of your hard drive and avoid physical damage. This includes keeping the drive in a cool, dry environment and handling it carefully. Regularly backing up important data can also help mitigate the risk of data loss in case of reallocated sectors.