Hard drive shock protection

1. My laptop is equipped with hard drive shock protection. If I am watching a movie and the accelerometer senses a perturbation (me shaking the computer) the image is immediately frozen, but there is no interruption in the sound. Why is this the case?

2. jcsd
  3. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Interesting! Afterwards is the video and audio out of sync? Maybe the audio is being buffered in a different cache or memory?

4. "Afterwards is the video and audio out of sync?" Yes that is what happens, when it is subjected to some kind of shaking both freeze, but sound returns immediately wile image stays frozen.

5. MATLABdude

MATLABdude 1,724
    Science Advisor

Video and sound are on different channels. Since there's so much more video data than audio (megabytes / second vs kilobytes / second) the program probably buffers (to RAM) more seconds of audio than video. When you hit a bump, the video buffer runs out before the audio does, and so the sound keeps on playing.

6. That nakes sense! Thank you

7. But why the sound returns first?

8. I have a similar problem, My laptop is not equipped with hard drive shock protection

9. Mech_Engineer

Mech_Engineer 2,299
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the same reason- audio data buffers faster than video data due to the large disparity in data rates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?