How to Wipe a Hard Drive on Windows XP

In summary: I think it might be on the computer where the OS is installed on.In summary, the user is having problems with a virus, OS crashes, and is looking for a way to fix the problem.
Loismustdie
I need to know how to completely wipe my Hard Drive on a Windows XP.

There is a virus that will not get off no matter what I do, I have run all antivirus and antispyware devices there are and I would much rather wipe my HDD right now. So anyone know anything I could do.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Put your windows cd in the drive, boot to it, and run a full re-install, reformatting the drive.

If it is "another" HD, ie you have 2 HD's one with XP loaded and another that has this Virus, you just need to do fdisk from CMD

Anttech said:
If it is "another" HD, ie you have 2 HD's one with XP loaded and another that has this Virus, you just need to do fdisk from CMD

Do you have any links that can tell me how to run the Fdisk on the CMD? If so that would be great.

I wouldn't bother doing fdisk from cmd - you need to reinstall windows anyway, so you may as well do it from the menus on the cd.

Besides, if you have two hard drives, its possible that the virus may have spread.

I think there's a program called HD Wipe or something like that. I just googled hard drive erasers or something like that. Id go with Russ though, just reinstall everything.

The easiest way to format is using a Windows cd. You put it in, then on the menu to select the partition in which to install you delete all partitions. On this same menu you create a brand new partition, format it with NTFS and the installation resumes.

By the way, is this a virus or spyware issue?

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
I wouldn't bother doing fdisk from cmd - you need to reinstall windows anyway, so you may as well do it from the menus on the cd.

As I said, if you have 2 HD's one with XP loaded and another that doesnt, and your problem is located on the other HD, you do NOT need to reload windows

ranger said:
Besides, if you have two hard drives, its possible that the virus may have spread.

Anything is possible.

Usually Virus, more so Trojan Horses or good ones that are useful to the person who put them there, won't harm the OS files. A Virus doesn't usually kill its host, it uses its host to infect or spread to another system. It uses the Host to allow the person who put it there to use that Host to do something else like DDOS a target, or SMTP spam other Hosts.

The viruses that are most difficult to eradicate are difficult to eradicate because they infect the OS directly. Besides - the way the op is worded (and based on his experience level), I think it is unlikely he has 2 hard drives.

I don't have two HDDs but I do need to completely wipe one.

The virus has completely screwed up my computer. The virus has made the computer prompt me to press a button at start saying that a serious crash may occur and that I want to back up the files. Then the OS crashes about every 8 hours or so. I think that I can fix it by reinstalling the OS or maybe even put a new one on it.

There is one problem though, I can't seem to find the OS's reinstall disk and I have to find that I suppose.

1. How do I wipe a hard drive on Windows XP?

To wipe a hard drive on Windows XP, you can use the built-in "Disk Cleanup" tool. Simply go to "Start" > "All Programs" > "Accessories" > "System Tools" > "Disk Cleanup". From there, you can select the hard drive you want to wipe and follow the prompts to complete the process.

2. Will wiping my hard drive on Windows XP erase all my data?

Yes, wiping a hard drive on Windows XP will erase all data on that drive. It is important to back up any important files before proceeding with the wipe.

3. How long does it take to wipe a hard drive on Windows XP?

The time it takes to wipe a hard drive on Windows XP can vary depending on the size and speed of the drive. Generally, it can take several hours to complete the process.

4. Can I undo a hard drive wipe on Windows XP?

No, once a hard drive has been wiped on Windows XP, the data cannot be recovered. It is important to make sure you have backed up any important files before proceeding with the wipe.

5. Is wiping a hard drive on Windows XP necessary?

Wiping a hard drive on Windows XP is not always necessary, but it is recommended if you are getting rid of the computer or giving it to someone else. This ensures that your personal data is completely erased and cannot be accessed by anyone else.