Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Drive

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    I need to know how to completely wipe my Hard Drive on a Windows XP.

There is a virus that will not get off no matter what I do, I have run all antivirus and antispyware devices there are and I would much rather wipe my HDD right now. So any one know anything I could do.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

4. Dec 10, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Put your windows cd in the drive, boot to it, and run a full re-install, reformatting the drive.

5. Dec 11, 2006 #4
    If it is "another" HD, ie you have 2 HD's one with XP loaded and another that has this Virus, you just need to do fdisk from CMD

6. Dec 11, 2006 #5
    Do you have any links that can tell me how to run the Fdisk on the CMD? If so that would be great.

7. Dec 11, 2006 #6

russ_watters

I wouldn't bother doing fdisk from cmd - you need to reinstall windows anyway, so you may as well do it from the menus on the cd.

8. Dec 11, 2006 #7

ranger

Gold Member

Besides, if you have two hard drives, its possible that the virus may have spread.

9. Dec 11, 2006 #8
    I think theres a program called HD Wipe or something like that. I just googled hard drive erasers or something like that. Id go with Russ though, just reinstall everything.

10. Dec 11, 2006 #9

-Job-

Science Advisor

The easiest way to format is using a Windows cd. You put it in, then on the menu to select the partition in which to install you delete all partitions. On this same menu you create a brand new partition, format it with NTFS and the installation resumes.

By the way, is this a virus or spyware issue?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  11. Dec 12, 2006 #10
    As I said, if you have 2 HD's one with XP loaded and another that doesnt, and your problem is located on the other HD, you do NOT need to reload windows

12. Dec 12, 2006 #11
    Anything is possible.

Usually Virus, more so Trojan Horses or good ones that are useful to the person who put them there, wont harm the OS files. A Virus doesnt usually kill its host, it uses its host to infect or spread to another system. It uses the Host to allow the person who put it there to use that Host to do something else like DDOS a target, or SMTP spam other Hosts.

13. Dec 12, 2006 #12

russ_watters

The viruses that are most difficult to eradicate are difficult to eradicate because they infect the OS directly. Besides - the way the op is worded (and based on his experience level), I think it is unlikely he has 2 hard drives.

14. Dec 14, 2006 #13
    I don't have two HDDs but I do need to completely wipe one.

The virus has completely screwed up my computer. The virus has made the computer prompt me to press a button at start saying that a serious crash may occur and that I want to back up the files. Then the OS crashes about every 8 hours or so. I think that I can fix it by reinstalling the OS or maybe even put a new one on it.

There is one problem though, I can't seem to find the OS's reinstall disk and I have to find that I suppose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?