1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard fourier transform

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using that the Fourier transform of e[itex]^{|x|}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{2}{\xi^2+1}[/itex]. Compute the Fourier transform of [itex]\frac{x}{(x^2+1)^2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was to try and rewrite the problem in a form I recognized, tried a couple of things but what I though was best was to write:

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] [itex]\frac{-1}{x^2+1}[/itex]

And transform that to e[itex]^{i*\xi}[/itex]*f([itex]\xi[/itex]). This was wrong. Very wrong actually.

Anyone have any hints for me?

thanks!

edit: Missed some things but should be right this time.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform#Functional_relationships Is has nothing to do with convolution! Fourier transform turns DERIVATIVE into MULTIPLICATION with i times argument, so [itex]i \xi[/itex] in this case, so the result should be something like [itex]i \xi e^{|x|}[/itex] (i assume you are supposed to perform the inverse FT, right?

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Hello sussking_leon,

My bad, the * means multiplication and not convolution. How do you get the [itex]i \xi [/itex] infront of the exponent?

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4
    Check the wiki page, forumla 106 and 107 do the trick. So if FT{e^|x|} = f(v), then FT{x e^|x|} = i d/dv f(v). (Fourier transform non-unitary, angular frequency)

6. Oct 18, 2011 #5
    Ah, I was thinking right at least. Its so stupid, we don't get any of these rules on our exam so without wiki, I would have never solved this exercise. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook