Is the Quadrangle in the Geometry Challenge a Square?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a math problem where variables were added to the original equation to make it more challenging. The main problem is determining the value of x and y and if the largest triangle has a 90 degree base angle. The group discusses different equations and methods to solve the problem, with one person using Wolfram Alpha to find the solution. Eventually, it is determined that the original equation was incorrect and a new one is proposed for solving. The conversation ends with a clarification that the equation cannot be divided by (y-1) because 1 is not a root.
henrique_p
Well, I found this challenge in another forum (not about math) on the internet, and, originally, there were no 'w', 'z' or 'y' drawn on the pic, it was just "find the x", but I put them on because I know you guys probably would create other variables to solve the problem.
Another problem I had to deal with is if the Quadrangle is, by fact, a square, I mean, if 'w' plus 'z' really is 1. How the wreck do I solve this?

Attachments

• challenge.jpg
    challenge.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 411
Mathematics news on Phys.org
(y/1) = (1+y)/(1+x) (both are secants of the same angle)

1 + (1+x)² = (1+y)² (Pthag. theorem)

I'll let you do the algebra.

mathman said:

1 + (1+x)² = (1+y)² (Pthag. theorem)

I'll let you do the algebra.

Could you do (y/1) = (1/x) instead?

acabus said:
Could you do (y/1) = (1/x) instead?

Yes, in this case x=y[itex]^{-1}[/itex].

mathman said:

Just another doubt, how can I know if the biggest triangle (1, 1+x, 1+y) has a 90º base angle? Because it wasn't specified in the problem if there is a square.

henrique_p said:
Just another doubt, how can I know if the biggest triangle (1, 1+x, 1+y) has a 90º base angle? Because it wasn't specified in the problem if there is a square.
It is still OK even if is not a square. If it is a rhombus, the triangles involved are similar, so the side ratios {y:1 = (1+y):(1+x)} are equal, even if not the secant of the angle.

If it is not a rhombus, then I suspect there is no solution.

Added note: In case of a rhombus, you need to know the angle, so that you can use the law of cosines to get the secon equation.

Ok, by doing the algebra I found the equation on the pic. I don't know if this was right, so I went to Wolfram to solve this.

Attachments

• problema.png
    problema.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 388
henrique_p said:
Ok, by doing the algebra I found the equation on the pic. I don't know if this was right, so I went to Wolfram to solve this.

No real solutions, so it wasn't right.

combining

a) w+z = 1
b) x^2 + z ^2 = 1
c) w^2 + 1 = y^2
d) y/1 = 1/x

use c amd d to get

e) w^2 + 1 = 1/x^2

and then a and e to get

f) z^2 - 2z +2 = 1/x^2

and finally b and f to get

g) (z^2 - 2z+2)(1-z^2) = 1

feeding this to wolfram alpha:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28z^2+-+2z+%2B2%29%281+-+z^2%29+%3D+1%2C+sqrt%281-+z^2%29

gets you x ≈ 0.883204

henrique_p said:

Your original equation looks wrong.

I got: y4 + 2y3 - y2 -2y -1 = 0.

A quick inspection shows there is a root between 1 and √2, which is expected.

Last edited:
mathman said:
Your original equation looks wrong.

I got: y4 + 2y3 - y2 -2y -1 = 0.

A quick inspection shows there is a root between 1 and √2, which is expected.

Am I wrong or I can divide this equation by (y-1)?

henrique_p said:
Am I wrong or I can divide this equation by (y-1)?

1 is not a root, so you can't divide by y-1.

mathman said:
1 is not a root, so you can't divide by y-1.

Yeah, sure, I miscounted the coefficients.

1. What is the "Hard Geometry Challenge"?

The "Hard Geometry Challenge" is a series of challenging mathematical problems and puzzles that focus on geometry. These problems are designed to test and improve your understanding of geometric concepts and problem-solving skills.

2. Who can participate in the "Hard Geometry Challenge"?

Anyone with an interest in mathematics and geometry can participate in the "Hard Geometry Challenge". It is open to students, teachers, and enthusiasts of all ages and levels of experience.

3. How do I participate in the "Hard Geometry Challenge"?

To participate in the "Hard Geometry Challenge", you can visit the designated website or social media pages where the challenges are posted regularly. You can also join online communities or attend events and workshops related to the challenge.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the "Hard Geometry Challenge"?

The "Hard Geometry Challenge" can help improve your problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and understanding of geometric concepts. It also provides a platform for you to connect and engage with other math enthusiasts and experts.

5. Are there any prizes for completing the "Hard Geometry Challenge"?

Yes, there are often prizes and rewards for completing the "Hard Geometry Challenge". These may include certificates, gift cards, or even opportunities to attend math conferences and workshops. However, the main goal of the challenge is to improve your mathematical skills and knowledge.