1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard inequalities question

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am having trouble with the final part of this question - part f; I can do all the previous parts. I have attached the questions and markscheme, and so woulkd appreciate it if someone could just explain part (f) to me!

Thanks alot.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If (f) is the part you are having trouble with, then presumably you have already proved that [itex]2x_n^2- (2n-1)x- (n+1)= 0[/itex] (part (e)). Now you want to find the smallest n such that [itex]x_n< n+ 0.05[/itex]. You could, for example, solve that using the quadrative formula and compare the solutions to n+ 0.05. Have you calculated some values of [itex]x_n[/itex]? What are [itex]x_0[/itex] [itex]x_1[/itex], etc.?

4. Jun 23, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the help. Im still confused as to how the markscheme answers have come about which I attached above.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?