Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Integral Question

Tags:
  1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    Please help, I am not sure if you can read my latex code. A friend of mine sent this to me before her final exam, I have been trying to solve it for 3-4 days. I used some substitutions, I tried integration by parts but couldn't get a solution. I used wolfram alpha but it needs more time and for that I have to be premium. I couldn't get this solved on Matlab.
    ##\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x}{x^2+1}\tan{x}\cos{((\tan(x))^2)}dx##

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2
    Where does this integral come from? It doesn't appear to have an elementary antiderivative, so do you have any reason to believe you'll be able to find a closed-form solution?

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3
    Well, I just asked my friend she said that she didn't actually take this from a textbook. There was a book or something a guy is talking about his high school life and then there is this integral on the page like an image or something. Well, it turns out I was just wasting my time.
    Still, I wonder do you have solution of this, the one thing comes to my mind is to find Taylor series of each function and integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook