Figuring Out Integral for Nevermind I Seem to Have

• Thread starter roeb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of a complex equation and the use of a substitution method to make it easier to integrate.
roeb
Nevermind, I seem to have figured it out

Homework Statement

show that:
[tex]\int \frac{dN}{N} = \int_{0}^{\theta_max} \frac{dcos \theta}{2} \frac{1 + \frac{v^2}{v_0^2} cos(2 \theta ) }{ \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{v^2 sin^2 \theta}{v_0^2} } } [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a lot of difficulty doing this...
Note that [tex]sin(\theta_{max} ) = \frac{v_0}{v}[/tex]
so after a bunch of algebra I get:

[tex]\int \frac{dN}{N} = cot(\theta_{max} ) \int_{0}^{\theta_{max} } \frac{2y^2 - 1}{\sqrt{y^2 - 1} }[/tex]
I am fairly confident that is correct because I keep on getting it.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to integrate this at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\int \frac{dN}{N} = cot(\theta_{max} ) \int_{0}^{\theta_{max} } \frac{2y^2 - 1}{\sqrt{y^2 - 1} }
[/tex]

If you are finding it hard to integrate the right side, try u = sqrt(y^2-1) .. fairly simple to integrate

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a quantity over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to find its antiderivative, which is the reverse process of differentiation. This can be done using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. What is the purpose of finding integrals?

The purpose of finding integrals is to calculate the total value of a quantity over a given interval. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to find areas, volumes, and other important quantities.

4. What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and give a numerical answer, while indefinite integrals do not have limits and give a general solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

The best way to improve your skills in solving integrals is to practice regularly. You can also read textbooks, watch online tutorials, and seek help from teachers or tutors. It is also important to have a strong understanding of basic algebra and calculus principles.