1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard integral

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Giving 2 closed curves in 3-dimension space C1 and C2, prove that:[tex]\oint _{C1} \oint _{C2}\frac{(\vec{dl_2}.\hat{r_{12}})\vec{dl_1}}{r^2_{12}}=0[/tex]

_ [tex]\vec{dl_1}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{dl_2}[/tex] are the vector elements of the curves C1 and C2 respectively.
    _ [tex]r_{12}[/tex] is the distance between the two above elements.
    _ [tex]\hat{r_{12}}[/tex] is the unit vector of vector [tex]\vec{r_{12}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    No idea.

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea too. It's out of my knowledge and ability. This is not a homework question, but on the way to solve a physics problem, I encountered this. Any idea about the way to solve would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: What is [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}_2\left(\frac{1}{r_{12}}\right)[/itex] (the subscript of the del operator indicates that the gradient should be taken with respect to [itex]\textbf{r}_2[/itex], the position vector of the second curve)? What does that make [itex]\oint _{C2}\frac{d\textbf{l}_2\cdot\mathbf{\hat{r}}_{12}}{r^2_{12}}[/itex]? :wink:
  4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much.

After some steps, I got this one:
    [tex]\oint _{C2}\frac{\vec{dr_2}.\hat{r_{12}}}{r^2_{12}} = - \oint _{C2}d(\frac{1}{r_{12}}) =0[/tex]

Plus that [tex]\vec{dl_2}=\vec{dr_2}[/tex], so the above integral equals 0. Is it correct?
  5. Jun 23, 2010 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by [itex]d\left(\frac{1}{r_{12}}\right)[/itex]....what did you get for [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}_2\left(\frac{1}{r_{12}}\right)[/tex]?
  6. Jun 23, 2010 #5
    I guess I must use the symbol for partial differentiation instead of "d" ? (oh, what is the Latex code for that symbol by the way?). I'm not sure why calculate [tex]\vec{grad}(\frac{1}{r_{12}})[/tex], because it's a vector. So to relate it to the integral, I calculate [tex]d (\frac{1}{r_{12}})[/tex] by setting [tex]\vec{r_1}=const[/tex]. Not sure if I use the right symbol, but that's what I understand.
  7. Jun 23, 2010 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] code for [itex]\partial[/itex] is"\partial", but that makes even less sense than using "d" in this context.

Yes, it's a vector...but this is vector calculus, so what's the problem? You want to calculate [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}_2\left(\frac{1}{r_{12}}\right)[/itex] because the fundamental theorem of gradients allows you to easily calculate path integrals of the gradient of a scalar function.

I'm still not exactly sure what you mean by [itex]d \left(\frac{1}{r_{12}}right)[/itex]....how do you calculate the differential of a multivariate function?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  8. Jun 24, 2010 #7
    The problem is I haven't learned vector calculus yet :biggrin: I just do it in a physical sense.
    I see. So I have to apply the gradient theorem.

[tex]grad(\frac{1}{r_{12}})=\frac{\partial (\frac{1}{r_{12}})}{\partial {r_2}}\hat{r_2}=(-\frac{1}{r_{12}^2}\hat{r_{12}}\frac{ \partial {\vec{r_2}}} {\partial {r_2}})\hat{r_2}[/tex]

[tex]grad(\frac{1}{r_{12}})\vec{dr_2}= (-\frac{1}{r_{12}^2}\hat{r_{12}}\frac{\partial{\vec{r_2}}}{\partial{r_2}})\hat{r_2}\vec{dr_2}[/tex]

Since [tex]\hat{r_2}\vec{dr_2}=dr_2[/tex] and [tex]\vec{dr_2}=\frac{\partial{\vec{r_2}}}{\partial{r_2}}dr_2[/tex] we have:

[tex]grad(\frac{1}{r_{12}})\vec{dr_2}=- \frac{1}{r_{12}^2}\hat{r_{12}}\vec{dr_2}[/tex]

Do the integration over the curve C2 and we have the result in post #3. Is this correct?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook