1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Integral

1. Jun 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Integrals of [tex] \frac{x^2}{e^x+1}\\ \frac{x^3}{e^x+1} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Integration by parts

3. The attempt at a solution

I did IBP twice and it seemed to just get bigger and uglier and now I am stuck. I found the solutions online of the integrals but still do not know how to do them myself.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

We had a similar thread not too long ago, have a look here.

4. Jun 18, 2014 #3
    As said in the other thread, you need polylogarithms to express the final result. Instead, the definite integral from 0 to infinity can be easily evaluated and you have the following general result:

$$\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^{s-1}}{e^x+1}\,dx=\left(1-2^{1-s}\right)\zeta(s)\Gamma(s)$$

5. Jul 1, 2014 #4
    Hey, sorry for the atrociously late reply. I am not familiar with the two functions in the general form you posted. I recognize the one as a gamma function but have never seen the other.

6. Jul 1, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Jul 1, 2014 #6
    I have another integral where the term in the exponential is divided by a constant T so it takes the form of [tex] \frac{x^2}{e^\frac{x}{T}+1}\\ \frac{x^3}{e^\frac{x}{T}+1} [/tex]

Is there some way to get a new variation of this formula that can take these constants into account?

8. Jul 1, 2014 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Change variables to ##y = x/T##.

9. Jul 1, 2014 #8
    Then we just use the same integration formula from pranav? Is this because the limits of integration involve an infinity so any constant T in the denominator will have no effect?

10. Jul 1, 2014 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It will have an effect, namely multiplying the result by a factor ##T^{n+1}##, where n is the exponent of x, since
    $$
    x^n\,dx = T^{n+1} y^n\,dy
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted