Can You Solve These Tricky 2D Integrals on a Unit Circle?

In summary, the conversation is about attempting to compute an integral for a gravitational force on a disk with a mass density of rho(t) = 2arccos(r)/r. The integral is used to compare the disk's gravity force to that of an isothermal sphere with a density of 1/r^2. The integral contains a singularity at the point (a,0) and the individual is seeking an effective method to eliminate it. They mention trying polar coordinates and a Weierstrass substitution, but neither worked. They ask for a numerical solution to the integral and provide the exact problem that led to it.
presto
I can't compute the integral:
[tex]\int \frac{\arccos(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\frac{x-a}/{(\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2})^3 dxdy[/tex]
on an unit circle: r < 1.

for const: a = 0.01, 0.02, ect. up to 1 or 2.

I used a polar coordinates, but the values jump dramatically in some places (around the 'a' values), despite the function is quite smooth.

My intention is mainly this solution of a problem:
in this integral sits a singularity at a point (a, 0), and I'm looking for the effective method to eliminate it.

Greetings for everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
presto said:
I can't compute the integral:
[tex]\int \frac{\arccos(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\frac{x-a}/{(\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2})^3 dxdy[/tex]
I can't even tell what you're trying to integrate. Your LaTeX is pretty mangled.
presto said:
for const: a = 0.01, 0.02, ect. up to 1 or 2.

I used a polar coordinates, but the values jump dramatically in some places (around the 'a' values), despite the function is quite smooth.

My intention is mainly this solution of a problem:
in this integral sits a singularity at a point (a, 0), and I'm looking for the effective method to eliminate it.

Greetings for everybody.

for const: a = 0.01, 0.02, ect. up to 1 or 2.I don't konow what you latex use in the forum...

[itex]\int \frac{\arccos(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\frac{x-a}{(\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2})}^3 dxdy=\int_0^1 \int_0^{2\pi} \arccos(r)\frac{r\cos(f)-a}{(\sqrt{r^2-2ar\cos(f)+a^2)}^3} df dr[/itex]

presto said:
[itex]\int \frac{\arccos(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\frac{x-a}{(\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2})}^3 dxdy=\int_0^1 \int_0^{2\pi} \arccos(r)\frac{r\cos(f)-a}{(\sqrt{r^2-2ar\cos(f)+a^2)}^3} df dr[/itex]
How did this integral come up? The reason I'm asking is that if this is an integral you wrote as part of another problem, it could be that your derivation is wrong.

This is just a gravitational force of a disk with a mass density: rho(t) = 2arccos(r)/r.

I want to compare a gravity force of an isothermal sphere (density 1/r^2) to a disk, which we get by compressing the sphere to the plane.

Maybe even could to calculate a simplified variant of the integral.

[itex]\int_0^1 \int_0^{2\pi} \arccos(r)\frac{r\cos(f)-1}{(\sqrt{r^2-2r\cos(f)+1})^3} df dr[/itex]

I think that's equal to pi^2, but not sure.

Maybe try a Weierstrass substitution?
##u = \tan (\frac f 2), \cos f = \frac {1-u^2}{1+u^2},\frac {\mathrm df}{\mathrm du} = \frac {2}{1 + u^2}##

No, any such substitutions don't work here... I ask about a numerical solution of this integral.

@presto: Can you post the exact problem which led you to the above integral?

I told that already:

I want to compare a gravity force of an isothermal sphere (density 1/r^2) to a disk, which we get by compressing the sphere to the plane.

Therefore the disk mass density is just: rho(r) = 2arccosr/r, so a force at a point (a,0):

[itex]dg = dm/d^2 cos(d,r) = \rho dS/d^2 \cos(d, r);\ where:\ cos(d,r) = (x-a)/d;\ and\ d^2 = (x-a)^2 + y^2; r^2 = x^2+y^2[/itex]

1. What are hard integrals in 2D?

Hard integrals in 2D refer to mathematical calculations that involve finding the area under a curve or surface in two dimensions. These integrals can be challenging to solve due to complex equations or multiple variables.

2. What are some examples of hard integrals in 2D?

Some examples of hard integrals in 2D include finding the area between two curves, calculating the volume of a solid with a curved base, and finding the centroid of a region bounded by a curve.

3. How do you solve hard integrals in 2D?

Solving hard integrals in 2D requires a combination of mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and partial fractions. It also involves a deep understanding of the properties of integrals and the application of advanced calculus concepts.

4. Why are hard integrals in 2D important?

Hard integrals in 2D play a crucial role in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They allow for the precise calculation of area, volume, and other important quantities, which are essential for solving real-world problems.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving hard integrals in 2D?

Practice and persistence are key to improving skills in solving hard integrals in 2D. It is also helpful to review fundamental concepts in calculus and seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or online resources. Developing a strong understanding of the underlying principles will make solving these integrals easier.