Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hard intergral

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    Hard intergral!!

:cry:If y = ke-x(sin2x), prove that [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] + 2[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] + 5y = 0:cry:

Need help asap, No clue how to figure it out. teacher is away until next term, test next week.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Hard intergral!!

you have y, you can find d2y/dx2 and dy/dx. Just find them and sub them into the equation and see if the left side is the same as the right side.

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3

y'= sin2x(-ke-x)-(sin2x*cos2x)

y''= ke-xcos2x+sin2x(ke-x)+1

I've got my first and second intergral, can i get a confirmation? thanks alot.

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, not right. All of your terms in y' and y'' should have a k and exp(-x) in them. Do you see why? Just use the product rule and the chain rule.

6. Mar 2, 2010 #5

I dont see why there would be a exp(-x)?? i thought the derivative of e^x was e^x

7. Mar 2, 2010 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

Derivative of exp(-x) is -exp(-x)

But more importantly you have 2 functions that you are taking a derivative of. Also, stop saying 'integral' - that is not what you are doing.

And finally,

(f*g)' = f' * g + f * g'

y=k*exp(-x)*sin(2*x)

f=k*exp(-x)
    g=k*sin(2*x)

y=k*(f*g)

Find y' = (f*g)' = f' * g + f * g'

when f' = -exp(-x)
    and g'=2*cos(2*x)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. Mar 2, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the problem you started out with has exp(-x) in it, not exp(x). What's the derivative of exp(-x)?

9. Mar 2, 2010 #8

lol sorry i put integral.. i am also doing integrals at the moment, kind of side tracked.
    alright so the frist derivative is -e^(-x)sin2x+ke^(-x)2cos2x.
    And second derivative is (e^(-x)2cos2x-e^(-x)sin2x)+(-ke^(-x)2cos2x-ke^(-x)4sin2x)

10. Mar 2, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's getting better. But why no k in the first term of y'=-e^(-x)sin2x+ke^(-x)2cos2x? I told you there should be one.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook