1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard intergral

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    Hard intergral!!

:cry:If y = ke-x(sin2x), prove that [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] + 2[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] + 5y = 0:cry:

Need help asap, No clue how to figure it out. teacher is away until next term, test next week.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Hard intergral!!

you have y, you can find d2y/dx2 and dy/dx. Just find them and sub them into the equation and see if the left side is the same as the right side.

4. Mar 2, 2010 #3

y'= sin2x(-ke-x)-(sin2x*cos2x)

y''= ke-xcos2x+sin2x(ke-x)+1

I've got my first and second intergral, can i get a confirmation? thanks alot.

5. Mar 2, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, not right. All of your terms in y' and y'' should have a k and exp(-x) in them. Do you see why? Just use the product rule and the chain rule.

6. Mar 2, 2010 #5

I dont see why there would be a exp(-x)?? i thought the derivative of e^x was e^x

7. Mar 2, 2010 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

Derivative of exp(-x) is -exp(-x)

But more importantly you have 2 functions that you are taking a derivative of. Also, stop saying 'integral' - that is not what you are doing.

And finally,

(f*g)' = f' * g + f * g'

y=k*exp(-x)*sin(2*x)

f=k*exp(-x)
    g=k*sin(2*x)

y=k*(f*g)

Find y' = (f*g)' = f' * g + f * g'

when f' = -exp(-x)
    and g'=2*cos(2*x)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. Mar 2, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the problem you started out with has exp(-x) in it, not exp(x). What's the derivative of exp(-x)?

9. Mar 2, 2010 #8

lol sorry i put integral.. i am also doing integrals at the moment, kind of side tracked.
    alright so the frist derivative is -e^(-x)sin2x+ke^(-x)2cos2x.
    And second derivative is (e^(-x)2cos2x-e^(-x)sin2x)+(-ke^(-x)2cos2x-ke^(-x)4sin2x)

10. Mar 2, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's getting better. But why no k in the first term of y'=-e^(-x)sin2x+ke^(-x)2cos2x? I told you there should be one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook