Using Laplace Transform to Solve Non-Zero Initial Condition PDEs

In summary, the conversation discusses using Laplace to solve a system of ordinary differential equations, with initial conditions that are not at zero. The speaker makes a mistake in their transforms, but after getting the equations right and solving for the transforms, they can choose constants to make the given initial conditions work.
mike1111

Homework Statement

Help, I don't know how to do the following question:

Using Laplace to solve
x' -y =1
2x' +x +y' = (t2-2t+1)e-(t-1)

Homework Equations

x(1)=0
y(3)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is the initial conditions aren't at zero, and I'm not sure how to approach the question

so far I have:
X(s) -x(0) -Y(s) = 1/s
3X(s) -2x(0) +Y(s)-y(0)= F{(t2-2t+1)e-(t-1)}

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't a pde. It is a system of ordinary DE's. And you have mistakes in your transforms.

L(x') is not X(s) - x(0) it is sX(s) - x(0), and ditto for y'. And, of course, you need to transform (t2-2t+1)e-(t-1).

Just call x(0) = a and y(0) = b and leave them in there. Once you get the equations right and solve for X(s) and Y(s), you can take the inverse transforms. Your answers will have a and b in them. Finally, plug in your given initial conditions and choose a and b to make them work.

Thanks a lot LCKurtz, I didn't see that mistake. and the solution makes more sense now. I was getting weird answer from other questions too and could work out why.

1. What is the Laplace Transform in PDEs?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to simplify and solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It transforms a function of time or space into a function of frequency or wave number, making it easier to solve for the unknown function.

2. How is the Laplace Transform applied to PDEs?

In PDEs, the Laplace Transform is applied by taking the Laplace Transform of both sides of the equation. This transforms the PDE into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved for the unknown function using various techniques.

3. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform in PDEs?

The Laplace Transform allows for the simplification and solution of complex PDEs by transforming them into algebraic equations. It also provides a more efficient method for solving PDEs compared to traditional methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform in PDEs?

While the Laplace Transform is a powerful tool, it may not be applicable to all types of PDEs. In some cases, the transform may not exist or may not provide a unique solution. It is important to check for these limitations before applying the Laplace Transform.

5. How does the Laplace Transform relate to real-world applications in science and engineering?

The Laplace Transform has numerous applications in science and engineering, particularly in the fields of physics, electrical engineering, and control theory. It is commonly used in the analysis and design of systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical processes.