1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Laplace Transform pde

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Help, I don't know how to do the following question:

Using Laplace to solve
    x' -y =1
    2x' +x +y' = (t2-2t+1)e-(t-1)

2. Relevant equations
    x(1)=0
    y(3)=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem i'm having is the initial conditions aren't at zero, and I'm not sure how to approach the question

so far I have:
    X(s) -x(0) -Y(s) = 1/s
    3X(s) -2x(0) +Y(s)-y(0)= F{(t2-2t+1)e-(t-1)}

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This isn't a pde. It is a system of ordinary DE's. And you have mistakes in your transforms.

L(x') is not X(s) - x(0) it is sX(s) - x(0), and ditto for y'. And, of course, you need to transform (t2-2t+1)e-(t-1).

Just call x(0) = a and y(0) = b and leave them in there. Once you get the equations right and solve for X(s) and Y(s), you can take the inverse transforms. Your answers will have a and b in them. Finally, plug in your given initial conditions and choose a and b to make them work.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks alot LCKurtz, I didn't see that mistake. and the solution makes more sense now. I was getting weird answer from other questions too and could work out why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook