Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Mag. Field question need assistance

1. Mar 9, 2005 #1
    Two long, parallel wires hang by 4.00-cm-long cords from a common axis. The wires have a mass per unit length of 1.50×10-2 kg/m and carry the same current in opposite directions.

What is the current in each wire if the cords hang at an angle of 6-degrees with the vertical?

Basically,,,,,I have no idea how to approach or solve this proble. All I know is the curremt should be positive becuase the currents in the wires are opposite each other.

aghhh help me please

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

QUOTE=Elbhi:" All I know is the curremt should be positive becuase the currents in the wires are opposite each other."

Wat do you mean...?It's not an magnetism problem,its a STATICS problem.What forces act on the wires...?

Daniel.

4. Mar 10, 2005 #3
    Ya, draw free body diagrams and solve it like you would a normal statics problem. Once you know the forces on the wire then you can calculate everything you need to.

5. Mar 18, 2005 #4
    Elbih,

You must clear your mind on a few concepts. Current is not positive or
    negative, it flows in a particular direction like water in a pipe.
    Voltage is either positive or negative and is like the pressure in the pipe.

You need to know a few things:

1) How much force does one wire exert on the other as a function of their
    distance apart
    2) How much do the wires weigh
    3) How do the wires deflect when you apply a force to them

If you combine all these into a suitable set of equations, the answer will
    fall out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?