How to Determine Current and Tension in Parallel Wires with Repelling Forces

In summary: Since both currents are in the opposite direction, the magnetic force per unit length is also in the opposite direction. The magnitude of the current is 8.3 A.
AznBoi

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires, each with a mass per unit length of 40g/m, are supported in a horizontal plane by 6 cm long strings, as shown in the figure below. Each wire carries the same current I, causing the wires to repel each other so that the angle (theta) between the supporting strings is 16 degrees.
a) Are the currents in the same or opposite direction?
b) Determine the magnitude of each current

Figure:
64.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma F=ma[/tex]

[tex]B= \frac{\mu_{0}I}{2\pi r}}[/tex]

[tex] F_{b}=BIl[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I know that the current must be in the opposite direction.

For b) I drew a Free Body Diagram first and found that [tex] T_{x}=F_{B} [tex] and these are the same for both wires.

However, how do you find the tension if they don't specify the exact weight of each wire? They do tell you that each of the wires have "a mass per unit length of 40g/m" but how do you convert that to weight if you don't know how long the wires are? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you know the force per unit length, all you need is mass per unit length to solve the problem.

marcusl said:
Since you know the force per unit length, all you need is mass per unit length to solve the problem.

Can you elaborate on that please? I still don't get how to solve part b) =/

You don't need the total weight of the wires because you can do the whole problem in terms of unit lengths. You know the mass per unit length so you also know the weight (force downwards due to gravity) per unit length. Since the angle is given, you therefore know the component of force per unit length directed between the wires that exactly balances the magnetic force per unit length.

The magnetic force per unit length depends on the current according to the equation you gave,
[tex] F_{b}/l=BI[/tex].
Eliminate B with your equation for B as a function of I, and solve for I.

1. What is the "Hard Magnetism Problem"?

The "Hard Magnetism Problem" refers to the challenge of understanding and controlling the magnetic properties of certain materials, particularly those with strong and stable magnetic fields. These materials, known as "hard" magnets, are commonly used in various applications such as motors, generators, and data storage devices.

2. What causes the "Hard Magnetism Problem"?

The "Hard Magnetism Problem" is caused by the complex and still not fully understood interactions between the atomic structure, electronic configuration, and magnetic fields within a material. These factors determine the strength and stability of a material's magnetic properties, making it difficult to predict and control.

3. Why is the "Hard Magnetism Problem" important?

The "Hard Magnetism Problem" is important because the properties of hard magnets are crucial for many technological advancements. For example, stronger and more stable magnets are needed for more efficient motors and generators, and for higher storage capacity in data storage devices. Solving this problem could lead to significant improvements in various industries.

4. What are some current research efforts to address the "Hard Magnetism Problem"?

Scientists are currently using various techniques, such as advanced microscopy and computer simulations, to study the atomic and electronic structures of hard magnets in more detail. They are also experimenting with different compositions and processing methods to try and improve the magnetic properties of these materials.

5. Is there a solution to the "Hard Magnetism Problem"?

While there is no definitive solution to the "Hard Magnetism Problem" yet, significant progress has been made in understanding and controlling the magnetic properties of hard magnets. With ongoing research and technological advancements, it is possible that a solution will be found in the future.