Hard mattresses and the reason we need beds

• Thread starter Rothiemurchus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Reason
In summary, the conversation discusses the different preferences people have when it comes to sleeping on hard or soft mattresses. It is mentioned that this preference is often based on personal preference and what one is used to. The conversation also mentions the influence of advertising in the sleep market and the idea of feeling secure while sleeping on a bed. It is noted that animals also seek out comfortable sleeping spaces, and there is a humorous mention of a dog building its own bed every night. The conversation also touches on the idea of humans always having comfortable beds and shares a heartwarming story about a terrier and its security blanket.
Rothiemurchus
Why do some people like sleeping on hard mattresses and others prefer softer ones? And why do humans need matresses and beds at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
umm because there comfortable? My matress is very hard, but has a pillow-top, so there's some softness. My back just feels better on a hard matress.

We don't need them, we just prefer them. Some like the support of a firm mattress, others like to be cushioned with a soft mattress. It's all personal preference, and sometimes just what someone grew up being used to.

Advertising has entered the sleep market big time. It has always been there to some extent, but now there are entire infomercials on mattresses.

What is your sleep number?? These overpriced things are nothing more than a foam topped air mattress wih a small electric air pump to change the pressure at will. You can build a similar mattress for less than half the price.

I would guess that soft mattresses distribute your weight over a greater surface area because they can deform to fit your body. That means there's less force per unit area (pressure) acting at anyone spot, thus providing less strain on your skin and spine.

One of the reasons is also the sense of security people have laying on their beds. They think that things like scorpions and stuff can't touch them while they are on their beds.

I don't feel that way; I often sleep on the ground... I like an extremely firm mattress.

Humans probably always had comfortable beds. Don't monkeys make their own beds with sticks? I slept on sticks before and it wasn't that bad at all. You have to get the right ones though.

I find that soft mattresses are easier to fall asleep in, so they're good for quick naps, but after a few nights they usually give me a back ache. My mattress is pretty firm so it's good for me but once in a while I like sleeping on the floor.

The wife can't sleep on hard ones and prefers them soft but i like them hard otherwise i wake up with aches and pains ,but like the dutiful husband i am i let her have it her way.

JasonRox said:
Humans probably always had comfortable beds. Don't monkeys make their own beds with sticks? I slept on sticks before and it wasn't that bad at all. You have to get the right ones though.
Even dogs and cats seek soft beds. They may not build them, but they smooth out sleeping areas.

lol My dog builds her bed everynight. She pulls all the covers off me, fluffs them up nicely, then plops down in the middle of it.

hypatia said:
lol My dog builds her bed everynight. She pulls all the covers off me, fluffs them up nicely, then plops down in the middle of it.

:rofl:
Good dog.

Our golden hides under the bunk beds in my brothers' room, surrounded by a mountain of our socks. Its her den.

hypatia said:
When I was little we had a terrier that had a security blanket that he would drag with him wherever he went. When he was ready to lay down he would put one hind foot on one corner of the blanket and hold the other corner in his mouth, he'd then turn in circles until the corner in his mouth was twisted to a point, lay on the blanket with the blanket point in his mouth and go to sleep sucking on it. He had that blanket until the day he died. We buried him with it.

franznietzsche said:
Our golden hides under the bunk beds in my brothers' room, surrounded by a mountain of our socks. Its her den.
I can just picture that. :biggrin:

1. Why do we need beds?

As humans, we require a certain amount of sleep each night to function properly. Beds provide a comfortable and supportive surface for us to rest on, allowing our bodies to fully relax and recharge for the next day.

2. What is the purpose of a hard mattress?

Hard mattresses are often recommended for people who struggle with back pain or other orthopedic issues. They provide a firm and supportive surface that can help maintain proper spinal alignment and alleviate discomfort.

3. Are hard mattresses better for your health?

It ultimately depends on your individual needs and preferences. While some people may find relief from a hard mattress, others may prefer a softer surface for comfort. It's important to find a balance between support and comfort to promote good sleep and overall health.

4. Can sleeping on a hard mattress cause any harm?

Sleeping on a hard mattress that does not provide enough support for your body can potentially cause discomfort and pain. It's important to find a mattress that supports your body's natural posture and distributes weight evenly to prevent any potential harm.

5. How do you know if a hard mattress is right for you?

The best way to determine if a hard mattress is right for you is to try it out for a few nights. If you consistently wake up feeling refreshed and without any discomfort or pain, then a hard mattress may be a good fit for you. However, if you experience discomfort or pain, it may be worth exploring other options.