1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Motion Question- Help?

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    Hard Motion Question- Help???

I am really stuck on this motion question, can anyone help please????:confused:

"A balloon is 30.00m above the ground and is rising vertically with a uniform speed when a coin is dropped from it. If the coin reaches the ground in 4.00 seconds, what is the speed of the balloon?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, the coin has an initial height of 30 m, and an initial velocity of v. It has a constant acceleration of -9.8 m/s^2. Find the time it takes to fall to a height of 0 m, in terms of your variables v and t. Then plug in 4.00 s for t, and solve for v.

4. Feb 1, 2008 #3
    which motion equation do i use?

5. Feb 1, 2008 #4
    solve for the initial velocity of the coin,,since it is equal to the constant velocity of the balloon, try

0 = 30 + Vi * 4 - .5g(4^2)

thing to know is that if the balloon is traveling , say 500 m/s when the coin is dropped....the coin is actually dropped AT 500m's...so its initial velocity when you insert it into an equation is 500m/s,, NOT 0 as you might assume.
    though thats irrelevent here, thought i might say. so that you understand the purpose of the question really

6. Feb 1, 2008 #5
    are you saying the coin when dropped is would be travelling the same speed of the balloon in an upwards direction?

7. Feb 1, 2008 #6
    yes, ya and its acceleration is changed from 0 to -9.8 when you put it in the equation because of gravity...because of course it will be hitting the ground soon

8. Feb 1, 2008 #7
    I got 12.1 from that equation, but what is that number?

9. Feb 1, 2008 #8
    the coins initial velocity once it is released from the balloon. = 12.1

which just so happens to be the balloons constant velocity, since when you initially dropped the coin from the balloon its initial velocity is = to the balloon velocity.
    so, Balloon-velocity = 12.1

ithink

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?