Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Problem concerning logarithms

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    Hello all

I need help with the problem attached below. I tried proof by induction, but cannot prove it. P(n) is a polynomial of degree 2n-2. I have to establish the recurrence relation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

probably you are trying to prove too much, if all you want is to show that all derivatives of e^(-x^(-2)) vanish at zero, but anyway, notice that every time you take a derivative by the product rule, on one hand you differentiate the original function which multiplies that factor by x^(-3), so the degree of that factor goes down by 3. But when you differentiatiate the other factor, the one with negative powers of x, the pwoer of x goes down by 1.

so when you clear denominators, you have to multiply by the larger negative power, which is x^(-3n) where n is the numbwer of tiomes you did this. On the other factor, when you multiply by this, since those powers only went down on e each time,l you get a polynomial in the top whiose degree goes up 2 each time, and it seems form looking at thes econd erivative that it was degree 2 that time, hence ingeneral is degree 2n-2.

i.e. this is obvious from looking at the first two derivatives. I could be wrong of course.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?