1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Problem

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    need help helpme please i am going insane

The year is 2115. There is a high jump competition on planet Mars. An athlete of mass 72 kg who has been clearing a height of 2.44 m on Earth just the week before is competing here. What is the height this athlete can expect to clear in this competition?
    Relevant data
    Mass of Mars = 6.42·10^23 kg
    Mass of Earth = 6.00·10^24 kg
    Radius of Mars = 3.40·10^3 km
    Radius of Earth = 6.38·10^3 km

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2
    Ok, I've found myself looking through textbooks for exact information to give you, which I can't afford to do as I have an essay of my own to write, but I can get you started.

You can find the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of Mars using g = Gm/(R^2)
    With G = gravitational constant = 6.67 x 10 ^-11 Nm^2/kg^2
    m = mass of Mars
    R = radius of Mars

and therefore the apparent weight of the jumper on Earth and Mars using w = mg

The next stage (I think) is to work out the original acceleration of the jumper on Earth, which allowed them to clear that distance, you then apply the same acceleration to the gravity on Mars. I don't have time to look that up for you, sorry!

4. Nov 14, 2004 #3
    ok i will work on it thanks for the help

5. Nov 14, 2004 #4
    You also might try looking at the energy. Figure out how much energy he is able to give to his body and figure out how high that amount of energy would get him on Mars.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?