High Jump on Mars: Calculating the Athlete's Height

In summary, the conversation discusses a high jump competition on Mars and how to calculate the height an athlete can expect to clear based on their mass and the gravity of Mars compared to Earth. Suggestions are given on how to approach the problem, including calculating the acceleration due to gravity and considering the energy the athlete can produce.
Dragoon
need help helpme please i am going insane

The year is 2115. There is a high jump competition on planet Mars. An athlete of mass 72 kg who has been clearing a height of 2.44 m on Earth just the week before is competing here. What is the height this athlete can expect to clear in this competition?
Relevant data
Mass of Mars = 6.42·10^23 kg
Mass of Earth = 6.00·10^24 kg
Radius of Mars = 3.40·10^3 km
Radius of Earth = 6.38·10^3 km

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I've found myself looking through textbooks for exact information to give you, which I can't afford to do as I have an essay of my own to write, but I can get you started.

You can find the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of Mars using g = Gm/(R^2)
With G = gravitational constant = 6.67 x 10 ^-11 Nm^2/kg^2
m = mass of Mars
R = radius of Mars

and therefore the apparent weight of the jumper on Earth and Mars using w = mg

The next stage (I think) is to work out the original acceleration of the jumper on Earth, which allowed them to clear that distance, you then apply the same acceleration to the gravity on Mars. I don't have time to look that up for you, sorry!

ok i will work on it thanks for the help

You also might try looking at the energy. Figure out how much energy he is able to give to his body and figure out how high that amount of energy would get him on Mars.

What is the difference between high jump on Earth and on Mars?

The main difference is the lower gravity on Mars, which is only about 38% of Earth's gravity. This means that an athlete will be able to jump higher on Mars compared to Earth.

How do you calculate the athlete's height on a high jump on Mars?

The formula for calculating the athlete's height on a high jump on Mars is h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (3.71 m/s^2 on Mars), and t is the time of the jump.

What are the challenges of high jump on Mars?

The lower gravity on Mars means that athletes will have to adjust their techniques and timing to achieve a successful jump. Additionally, the Martian environment may pose challenges for athletes, such as the thin atmosphere and extreme temperatures.

Can high jump records on Earth be broken on Mars?

Yes, due to the lower gravity on Mars, it is highly likely that high jump records on Earth can be broken on Mars. In fact, a simulation conducted by NASA showed that the world record for high jump on Earth could be broken by over a meter on Mars.

Do other factors besides gravity affect high jump on Mars?

Yes, other factors such as the athlete's strength, technique, and the Martian environment can also affect high jump on Mars. The athlete's body composition and muscle strength may play a role in how well they can adapt to the lower gravity on Mars. The Martian environment, including the thin atmosphere, may also have an impact on the athlete's performance.