Please Help! My Teacher's Ridiculous - I Need Solving the Equations!

• Thread starter apchemstudent
  • Start date
In summary: If it's for a college course, then you might want to use the kinetic theory of gases or another equation of state.
apchemstudent
My teacher is ridiculous. We didn't learn anything about boiling points or Van Hoft factors or whatever. The problem are in the attachments.

From the description i can only predict the equation as

S8 + AgF -> SF2 + Ag

I'm not even sure if it is right or not

I have trouble on the second equation.

As well using pv= nRT,

20 kpa * (mass of SF2)/.083 g/L = n*8.314*305

If i have the mass of the Gas i might be able to figure out the moles of the
I can't even figure out the second equation so even with the given information i cannot proceed with this problem.

In fact I'm not even sure if I'm starting the problem right or not.

I don't even know the transformed structure of the gas either...

Please help. I really need this. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• problem part 1.jpg
    problem part 1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 384
  • problem part 2.jpg
    problem part 2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 372
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmm, these problems seemed to be a bit cut off so if you could just copy the text it might help us out a bit.

OK, well first of all you are not sure of the exact form of the product. It could be SF2, but it could also be something else like SF3, SF4 ... The point of the problem is to determine the molecular formula of what is formed.

You use the ideal gas equation, which is correct. You are trying to find the molecular weight, but molecular weight doesn't appear in the ideal gas equation. You are given the density, let's call it d. How do the density and molecular weight(call it MW or something appropriate) relate to n and V? In other word s you will end up with something like f(n, V) = g(d, MW) Can we rearrange the ideal gas equation to replace n and V with d and MW, thus reducing our unknowns to one and allowing us to solve the problem?

Also, be careful with your units. 8.314 what? 305 what ? If the units don't cancel properly, you know you have the wrong answer.

I read the first cut off. It reads that the dry gas (whatever it is) reacts with water to give hydrogen fluoride, HF.

A second portion of the question involves calibrated amounts of dry gas and water to yield a known amount of hydrogen fluoride.

So let me write the possible reaction like that:

[tex]S_8+32AgF\longrightarrow 8SF_4+32Ag[/tex]

The sulfur tetrafluoride is the "dry gas" in this question, I suppose. It might give hydrogen fluoride with the action of water like this:

[tex]SF_4+2H_2O\longrightarrow SO_2+4HF[/tex]

So, consider these reactions to check if they give the correct results.

From the first portion of the information provided, you can find the molar mass of the initial gas formed. Use pv=nrt,

from density, grams/L, transform to moles/L...simply put the equation in the form grams X molar mass/L and, or (.803 +/- .010)x/L, where x is the molar mass

P/(.803 +/- .010)RT = x, solve for x (if you wish to keep the plus/minus estimate, you'll need to work it out through the whole problem which will be a bit more tedious.

That should get you started, I don't have time to work through the whole problem at this point, in fact you might want to double check the answer and concept with your teacher.

It sure would help to have the full problem posted! Anyway, it says that the initial product boils at 15 deg.C. That's useful info! Also, a question: what level of chemistry class is this for? What's it called? That may influence what sort of equation-of-state (gas law) your teacher/professor expects you to use.

pack_rat2 said:
It sure would help to have the full problem posted! Anyway, it says that the initial product boils at 15 deg.C. That's useful info! Also, a question: what level of chemistry class is this for? What's it called? That may influence what sort of equation-of-state (gas law) your teacher/professor expects you to use.
Oooops! I missed it; you said "teacher"...if this is for high-school chemistry, then the ideal gas law is OK.

1. What are equations?

Equations are mathematical statements that use symbols and numbers to represent a relationship between quantities. They typically use an equal sign (=) to show that the two sides of the equation are equal.

2. Why do I need to solve equations?

Solving equations allows you to find the value of the unknown variable, which can help you better understand a problem or situation. It also helps you check your work and make sure your calculations are accurate.

3. What is the process for solving equations?

The process for solving equations involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation and performing inverse operations to get rid of any numbers or symbols attached to it. This will ultimately lead to finding the value of the variable.

4. How can I check if my solution to an equation is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations include not performing the same operation on both sides of the equation, forgetting to distribute a number, and making errors with signs. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.