Help Solving Gas Laws Problems in Physics Textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a Gas Laws problem in a physics textbook. The speaker mentions using pressure ratios to determine the percent increase in volume and getting stuck. They also mention how avogadro's law and dalton's law of partial pressures can be applied to the problem. The final solution is given as [100.47-(101.23-.02(101.23))]/100.47 and the speaker questions the use of molecular weight in the problem since it does not affect the colligative property of PV=nRT.
apchemstudent
I know this might be a chemistry question in a way, but they also have Gas Laws problems in a physics textbooks.

I have no idea how to solve this problem. I used the pressure ratios to determine the percent increase in volume. But I'm stuck there. Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• Gas Law question.jpg
    Gas Law question.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
by avogadro's law the volume percent is equivalent to the mole percentage. In addition the mole percentage is equal to the pressure percentage (by dalton's law of partial pressures). Keep this in mind for the rest of this post.

I got one percent.
[tex][100.47-(101.23-.02(101.23))]/100.47[/tex]
equivalent to the new volume percentage

I'm still not quite sure why they gave the molecular weight of gases in the problem, PV=nRT does not depend on mass composition, it is a colligative property.

Sure, I would be happy to help you solve gas laws problems in your physics textbook. Gas laws problems involve using equations and relationships to analyze the behavior of gases under different conditions. The first step is to identify what type of gas law problem you are dealing with - is it Boyle's law, Charles's law, Gay-Lussac's law, or the combined gas law? Once you have identified the type of problem, you can use the appropriate equation to solve it.

In this case, it seems like you are dealing with a problem involving pressure and volume, which would fall under Boyle's law. The equation for Boyle's law is P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 represent the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 represent the final pressure and volume. To solve for the unknown variable, you will need to rearrange the equation and plug in the given values.

For example, if you are given an initial pressure of 1 atm and an initial volume of 5 L, and the final pressure is 2 atm, you can solve for the final volume by rearranging the equation as V2 = (P1V1)/P2. Plugging in the values, you would get V2 = (1 atm * 5 L)/2 atm, which equals 2.5 L.

If you are still stuck, it might be helpful to review the gas laws and their equations, as well as practice solving different types of problems. Additionally, you can always seek help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor for further clarification and guidance. I hope this helps you solve your gas laws problem. Best of luck!

1. What are the basic principles of gas laws in physics?

The basic principles of gas laws in physics involve the relationships between the physical properties of gases, such as temperature, pressure, volume, and number of moles. These principles can be described by various equations, such as Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and the Ideal Gas Law.

2. How do I solve gas law problems in my physics textbook?

To solve gas law problems in a physics textbook, you should first identify which gas law is applicable to the given scenario. Then, use the appropriate equation and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown variable. Make sure to convert all units to the appropriate SI units before solving the equation.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving gas law problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving gas law problems include not converting units to the appropriate SI units, not using the correct gas constant for the given units, and not properly identifying the gas law to use for the given scenario. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure all values are included in the final answer.

4. How can I check my answer when solving gas law problems?

You can check your answer when solving gas law problems by using the equation to calculate the other variables and seeing if your answer matches the given values. You can also check if your answer seems reasonable based on the known relationships between the variables in the gas law.

5. What are some real-world applications of gas laws?

Gas laws have many real-world applications, including in weather forecasting, scuba diving, and the design of breathing apparatus for astronauts. They are also used in industrial processes, such as in the production of fertilizers and the purification of gases for medical use. Understanding gas laws is crucial for many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.