1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hard Quantum Mechanics Question

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    1. All given variables and known data
    Consider a particle of mass m subject to the infinite square well potential function (with L>0)

jCTbQHm.gif

Suppose that you do not know the state function describing the system, but that you are told the expectation value of the position of the particle is given by

[tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle \left( t \right) = \frac{L}{2} + \alpha L\sin \left( {\Omega t} \right)[/tex]

where α is some unknown constant less than 1/2, and Ω is some frequency greater than zero.

2. Relevant equations
    Equations used in Quantum Mechanics​

Questions:
    a. There are many possible values of Ω - what are the allowed values of Ω? (That is, provide an equation for ℏΩ (h-bar*Ω) ). Explain your answer.

b. Write down the most general wave function consistent with this expectation value. Explain your answer.​

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2014 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

So... where is your "attempt at a solution"??

OK, I'll give you a hint: write down the Schrodinger equation applicable to this situation.
    Then solve it.

4. Jun 8, 2014 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Where is this question from? I find it quite strange, to say it friendly.

If you look for the state of a system with restricted information like in this example, the best you can do is to look for a statistical operator with maximum (von Neumann) entropy consistent with the given information. This is at least the way to look at this problem from the point of view of Shannon-Jaynes information theory.

5. Jun 8, 2014 #4
    This a great question! I've just spent a lovely hour in the sunshine having a go at it. As it is not a stationary state you need at least two terms in the general solution. As you need to arrive at at an expectation value of x that has a sinΩt dependency it looks like you need just two terms. I got that hΩ will represent the difference between the two energy levels of the two terms.

6. Jun 8, 2014 #5
    :confused:

Surely it's just a question about pure states.

I agree! Perhaps we should add that when you have a superposition of two energy eigenstates, the system will "ring" at the characteristic frequency [itex]\Omega[/itex], as a result of "quantum mechanical cross terms". When you couple the system to an electromagnetic field, it might throw out a photon of that frequency.

7. Jun 8, 2014 #6

strangerep

Science Advisor

Meanwhile, the OP has still made zero attempt at a solution...

8. Jun 9, 2014 #7
    What's frustrating is that others who put in decent effort get no replies at all...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted