Hard Quantum Mechanics Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle subject to the infinite square well potential function and the expectation value of its position. The allowed values of Ω are determined by the equation ℏΩ = (2mL^2)/(n^2π^2), where n is a positive integer. The most general wave function consistent with the given expectation value is a superposition of two energy eigenstates, resulting in a "ringing" effect at the characteristic frequency Ω. There is also a mention of using Shannon-Jaynes information theory to find the state of a system with restricted information. However, the original question remains unanswered and there is frustration expressed over the lack of effort put in by the OP to solve it.
flydream19
1. All given variables and known data
Consider a particle of mass m subject to the infinite square well potential function (with L>0)

jCTbQHm.gif

Suppose that you do not know the state function describing the system, but that you are told the expectation value of the position of the particle is given by

[tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle \left( t \right) = \frac{L}{2} + \alpha L\sin \left( {\Omega t} \right)[/tex]

where α is some unknown constant less than 1/2, and Ω is some frequency greater than zero.

Homework Equations

Equations used in Quantum Mechanics​

Questions:
a. There are many possible values of Ω - what are the allowed values of Ω? (That is, provide an equation for ℏΩ (h-bar*Ω) ). Explain your answer.

b. Write down the most general wave function consistent with this expectation value. Explain your answer.​

Physics news on Phys.org
So... where is your "attempt at a solution"??

OK, I'll give you a hint: write down the Schrodinger equation applicable to this situation.
Then solve it.

Where is this question from? I find it quite strange, to say it friendly.

If you look for the state of a system with restricted information like in this example, the best you can do is to look for a statistical operator with maximum (von Neumann) entropy consistent with the given information. This is at least the way to look at this problem from the point of view of Shannon-Jaynes information theory.

This a great question! I've just spent a lovely hour in the sunshine having a go at it. As it is not a stationary state you need at least two terms in the general solution. As you need to arrive at at an expectation value of x that has a sinΩt dependency it looks like you need just two terms. I got that hΩ will represent the difference between the two energy levels of the two terms.

vanhees71 said:
Where is this question from? I find it quite strange, to say it friendly.

If you look for the state of a system with restricted information like in this example, the best you can do is to look for a statistical operator with maximum (von Neumann) entropy consistent with the given information. This is at least the way to look at this problem from the point of view of Shannon-Jaynes information theory.

:confused:

Surely it's just a question about pure states.

Jilang said:
This a great question! I've just spent a lovely hour in the sunshine having a go at it. As it is not a stationary state you need at least two terms in the general solution. As you need to arrive at at an expectation value of x that has a sinΩt dependency it looks like you need just two terms. I got that hΩ will represent the difference between the two energy levels of the two terms.

I agree! Perhaps we should add that when you have a superposition of two energy eigenstates, the system will "ring" at the characteristic frequency [itex]\Omega[/itex], as a result of "quantum mechanical cross terms". When you couple the system to an electromagnetic field, it might throw out a photon of that frequency.

Meanwhile, the OP has still made zero attempt at a solution...

strangerep said:
Meanwhile, the OP has still made zero attempt at a solution...

What's frustrating is that others who put in decent effort get no replies at all...

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. What makes quantum mechanics "hard"?

Quantum mechanics is considered to be difficult because it goes against our everyday intuition and common sense. It also involves complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts that can be challenging to understand.

3. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on the laws of motion and gravity established by Isaac Newton, while quantum mechanics is based on probability and wave functions. Quantum mechanics also describes the behavior of particles on a much smaller scale than classical mechanics.

4. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the act of measuring one property affects the other, making it impossible to have simultaneous knowledge of both.

5. How is quantum mechanics used in real-world applications?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like transistors and lasers. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, biology, and nanotechnology. Quantum computers, which use the principles of quantum mechanics, have the potential to revolutionize computing and solve complex problems much faster than classical computers.